Quantcast
Watch planes land overhead - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watch planes land overhead

My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS Turbo

Default Watch planes land overhead

Where can I go to watch the planes flying overhead and landing close to you in calgary? is it on mcknight somewhere? thanks!

turn off is after right after the airport on McKnight before 12th st take a right in to the parking lot
    Originally posted by Dumbass17
    what's an Egypt?
    Originally posted by Godfuader

Its the slang for being Electronically Jipped . Like going to an ATM and getting short changed. "You got E-Gypt"

My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS Turbo

which direction? like, if i'm on deerfoot, take mcknight east, then is the parking lot on the left or right side?

left side. You'll see about 300 yellow checker taxis, since they can only go to the airport when they are called they all seem to wait there now.

My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS Turbo

thanks!

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

The planes won't be overhead though. That spot is beside the runway.

My Ride
    Hondas

yeah to see them land overhead you would need to sit on the shoulder of mcknight blvd.

This is actually interesting question. It seems the best place to watch planes land overhead is by Deerfoot Mall? Unless we can park there and walk up to the shoulder of Mcknight blvd like the posters are suggesting.

That's the map.

My Ride
    This and that.

If you go to the prairie winds park in the NE, certain planes go pretty much DIRECTLY over the hill. And they seem pretty damn close. Those planes are also the international one's so you know they are huge.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by 89s1
    yeah to see them land overhead you would need to sit on the shoulder of mcknight blvd.
    which is unfortunately a no stop zone unless for emergency as well as the backroad east of the compound, you want to watch small pistons take off come out to springbank on a nice summer day in the parking lot between the Flying Club and the ATC tower, see all the experimentals/historics and then the students that can destroy a brand new C-172 main gear tire in one cycle no rules at CYBW

you want to be here for landings of the big stuff imo, its where all those weirdos that track commercial landings go to birdwatch.

to watch the real underneath view of the big stuff land, you needs and pass... ask Tik Tok for one, small rudimentary test to get one thats it
    Last edited by n1zm0; 04-10-2011 at 12:28 AM.

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by n1zm0
    you want to be here for landings of the big stuff imo, its where all those weirdos that track commercial landings go to birdwatch.
    Nice spot to get a beej

For a nice view try the north end of the airport, there's an access road off Airport Trail that lines you up with the runway and they come real low.

It's going to depend on wind direction and which runway is in use. But as mentioned Prairie Winds park, you can go up the hill and they fly right over for RWY 28.

Or, if you have a dual purpose motorcycle, dirt bike, bicycle. You can go up to Aero Drive, where Purolator, FedEx is etc, take a left when you get to the T intersection for Aero Drive/Aero Gate (coming from down the hill). Go down that road, it eventually turns into gravel/construction. It'll lead you right to the end of RWY 10, there's a nice dirt hill with an approach lighting tower you can walk up. You get a nice view of RWY 10, and the planes come right over, and you usually get hit by the blast of wake turbulence they leave behind as well Just try to make it obvious you are just taking pictures. Airport security drives around on patrols on the airport side of the fence, and if you look sketchy (even though you are on the other side) they will probably call the 5-0 on you.

Hey Orville, I got a question for you. What are the main differences between GFFC and GMTZ at the club? I usually just hop in and take MTZ for all my bookings but some new person, isabelle? Changed a bunch of my bookings to GFFC, and took MTZ.
    Last edited by Cooked Rice; 04-12-2011 at 03:30 AM.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by Merritt
    This is actually interesting question. It seems the best place to watch planes land overhead is by Deerfoot Mall? Unless we can park there and walk up to the shoulder of Mcknight blvd like the posters are suggesting.

That's the map.
    You marked it to far east. The parking spot is north of mcall lake golf course, and on the north side of mcknight.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Just go play an 18 at McCall. Sure does get tricky teeing off when you hear one of the big planes coming in on your backswing.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

WestJet is one of my clients, I could throw rocks at the planes on my drive to meetings there every morning.

You have to go up McCall Way through the traffic circle they're building (construction) and sit on the side there. There's no signs reading "No Stopping" so you should be good, it's dirt on the shoulder but the road (mostly) is paved. And I'm serious, you could hit the plane with a rock, it lands just 100 yards past the road.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

You can throw a rock at over 130MPH?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

No but if you throw it straight up they'll fly into it. It's a simple description of how close they get to the road.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    NOYB.

There is a second viewing area at the end of 28.. go up McCall from McKnight (yes you still can, but you will have to go thru some construction) and go to the road before 78 Avenue NE. It's Air Services Pl or something like that. A parking lot about 80% the size of the LaBorde one (the one off McKnight east of 12th) with some half-decent views of 28 and the east edge of the apron.

Hold on, you throw rocks at planes flying by?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Mar
    You have to go up McCall Way through the traffic circle they're building (construction) and sit on the side there. There's no signs reading "No Stopping" so you should be good, it's dirt on the shoulder but the road (mostly) is paved. And I'm serious, you could hit the plane with a rock, it lands just 100 yards past the road.
    Originally posted by Jay911
    There is a second viewing area at the end of 28.. go up McCall from McKnight (yes you still can, but you will have to go thru some construction) and go to the road before 78 Avenue NE. It's Air Services Pl or something like that. A parking lot about 80% the size of the LaBorde one (the one off McKnight east of 12th) with some half-decent views of 28 and the east edge of the apron.
    If only someone had mentioned that same spot earlier......like 3 posts earlier.

Originally posted by oupzwrongthread
    Hold on, you throw rocks at planes flying by?
    No, it's a comparison of how close they get. I'm pretty sure you'd go to jail for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast