Quantcast
The BBQ and Smoking Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 142 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

^^^ I'd just invest in a good smoker upfront. I bought an ECB this spring and really struggled with it at first. Save yourself the frustration and buy a good one since there is no way you won't get addicted to smoking bbq. I'll probably buy a Kamado/BGE from Costco next year.

Not that you can't get good results in an ECB, just takes more effort. Check out the smoke ring and moistness on my pork rib roast over the weekend:

Last edited by phreezee; 12-19-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Ummmm Ribs.

Decided to go with a homemade rub and homemade sauce. Pretty damn tasty
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Up'd my Smoking Game.

Love this thing.

I picked up a 55 gallon barrel from another beyonder and built my own UDS or Ugly Drum Smoker a couple of weeks ago. I've cooked on it a couple of times now and the food is OMG good. I'm going to try making jerky this weekend and make some more ribs again next week. It's not totally done yet, I'm adding a pretty cool wireless t-stat that has 4 probes, one for the smoker itself and 3 for the meat you put in it. It also has a fan controller that I can screw into the third air intake that you cannot see in the picture, it maintains proper air flow to maintain temperatures. You can even control it via iPad or iPhone lol, WIFI smoking FTW. The charcoal basket is 15x12 and can hold a lot of charcoal/hardwood, there's three racks, two cooking racks on the top and a diffuser rack to make it more indirect heat.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

I made back ribs using a modified 3/2/1 method with the texas cheat and it turned out soooooooooooooooooooo good. Take ribs and remove the membrane on the back, cut in half racks, cover each half rack with yellow mustard, it acts as a glue for the rub. Add home made rub then smoke for 2 hours uncovered at 225 degrees. Remove from smoker, generously cover each half rack with a good amount of BBQ sauce, sprinkle more rub if desired and tightly cover in heavy duty tin foil, before wrapping the foil back up add 1/4 cup of apple juice to each 1/2 rack and smoke for another 2 hours. Take how ever much BBQ sauce you want and put it in a small sauce pan on the stove, turn it up to med-low heat, remove ribs from smoker and carefully add the juices from the bottom of the foil into the BBQ sauce and cook it down until it gets back to BBQ sauce consistency. Add more BBQ sauce to the ribs (not the stuff on the stove) and put them back on the smoker uncovered at 225 for one more hour. After the hour is up your BBQ sauce on the stove will be ready. Pre-heat your oven to broil, lay the ribs out on a cookie sheet covered in foil, put some more BBQ sauce on them and broil them until the sauce just starts caramelizing. I mixed hickory and apple wood in the smoker, a total of around 3 fist size chunks.

Enjoy the most amazing ribs ever
    Last edited by wtf im nameless; 11-27-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Where's the BBQ love?

Bump.

Slow smoked turkey wrapped in a bacon blanket:

2.5 hours in, 3.5 to go.

click for larger version

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Looks deadly

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Where did you get your plans from?

click for larger version

Originally posted by Kjonus
    Where did you get your plans from?
    I just googled UDS or Ugly Drum Smoker. Basically the idea is this:

- Find 55 gallon drum
    - Drill three 1 inch holes equal distances around the drum, 2 inches from the bottom
    - Go to home depot / walmart, get some pallets and cut them up and burn them in the drum. It will get so hot most of the liner/paint will peel right off
    - Sand it down to metal inside and out
    - On the bottom I have a charcoal basket, 15 inch circle by 12 inches tall. It uses some nuts/bolts/washers so it has a couple inches of air space underneath it for ashes to drop
    - Use grates from a 22.5 inch kettle grill. Walmart is clearing out 22.5 inch grills for $20, I bought a couple and used the grates from both and the lid from one
    - My friend also game me a 22.5 inch grate from a BBQ he was throwing out, so I had three in total
    - Top grate is 1 inch from the top
    - Second grate is 7 inches below that
    - Third grate is 5 or 6 inches below that
    - I grill food on the top two grills and have a heat diffuser on the bottom one
    - Sometimes, like in the case of the above turkey I have a diffuser on the bottom grate, tray full of water that moistens meat and catches drippings
    - Use 3/4 inch plumbing with valves for air intakes, there are three intakes, but the one on the back doesn't have a valve, it's just a hole with a nipple so it's either open or closed.
    - Paint the outside with high temp BBQ paint
    - Spray the inside with Pam
    - Do a couple test smokes before smoking food

It will hold around 15lbs of charcoal and so far i've been able to maintain temp within 10-15 degrees with minimal adjustments to the valves one it's dialed in. A couple weeks ago I used it when it was -20, it had no problems maintaining 250 for 7 hours.
    Last edited by wtf im nameless; 12-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.

I have a Masterbilt, it's electric, works great. Might even smoke the Christmas turkey this year.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by suntan
    I have a Masterbilt, it's electric, works great. Might even smoke the Christmas turkey this year.

If you do, be sure to take some pictures and share with us!
    I really want to get into smoking, maybe this summer!

No problem. I also smoke basically every weekend once the weather turns nicer.

I need a new smoker

I overpaid for the one I got from BBQ's Galore. Unfortunately I talked to the wrong person. I got a Brinkmann Vertical cabinet smoker with side fire box (that doubles as a charcoal grill). I had to screw around with that thing so much and it still doesn't work that great. I built a large charcoal basket because all it came with was a flat grate that sat about 1" above the bottom. Not enough air could get to the fire after awhile and it wouldn't be near hot enough. I have to use ALOT of charcoal just to get some decent heat in the smoke chamber. I also had to make this heat deflector and tried to seal up all the doors with that fiberglass rope, but that crap just comes off.

I can do ribs and chicken pretty good, but anything longer like a pork butt or brisket...fuggetaboutit.

I want to get that Weber Smokey mountain, 18.5". ...or a ceramic grill.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Anyone with experience with a charcoal grill/smoker like this? How are they?

Some of the Napoleon Grills have an option to add a charcoal tray and use that instead of gas. Does anyone have any experience doing this? How easy is it to control the temp?

I like the convenience of a gas grill for throwing on burgers or the odd steak after work but I want to get into propper BBQing using charcoal when I have more time at the weekends.
    I'm trying to decide whether to go with one of these units or to get a cheaper gas grill and a charcoal grill as well.

Vertical smokers are typically the way to go. If you are like me and not handy enough to build one, go with a Weber Smokey Mountain. They are awesome, tonnes of websites devoted to them. Temp control is easy once you get the hang of it.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

If you want to do some proper smoking don't bother with the gas grill, just get a good smoker. I would also recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain 18", or if you have the cash go for a ceramic grill (big green egg, steal keg, Komado etc). Those are very good for smoking AND charcoal grilling. They are so efficient with the heat that you would use the least amount of wood and lump charcoal. I'm after one of those myself. My current setup uses a ton of charcoal.

The hard part is convincing the wife that you absolutely NEED a gas grill, charcoal grill AND a smoker haha

Thanks for the replies guys,

I like the idea og a ccharcoal grill and smoker in one and the Big Green Eggs look good.

My Ride
    FAT tires

Originally posted by ramminghard
    Anyone with experience with a charcoal grill/smoker like this? How are they?
    Thats what I have, needs a few very simple modifications out of the box but works great afterwards. My only complaint is it is hard to keep up to temp on cold days (I have a few old blankets that I cover it with) but is cheap and works.

So who is doing some holiday smoking? Im thinking a bacon wrapped turkey in the smoker for xmas day.

Page 2 of 142 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast