Quantcast
Official Wine Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Wine Thread

My Ride
    BMW

Default Official Wine Thread

I was searching on Beyond to see if theres a thread on wine, but i couldnt find one. I am pretty sure a lot of Beyonders like to enjoy a glass or 2, some of you might even be wine professionals. I've completed 2 wine fundamental courses from ISG, considering pursuing Wine Sommelier.

The whole purpose of this thread is to talk about anything got to do with wine; regions, varietal, vintage, wines you highly recommend, wine investing, cellaring (you may even want to share what you have in your cellar). Since everyone has different palate, and a good wine could mean its quality, value, balance, or simply just what you like, so there are no right or wrong choices.

I personally enjoy wine from France, Germany, Chile, and to an extent Italy and Argentina. Most of the wine I post will be red unless specified. Gewurtz, riesling, and Sauternes are some of my favorite dessert/whites. I will start off with some of the wine i've tried in the past and really enjoyed:

1985 Gaja Dramanji
    2002-2007 Los Vasco
    2005 Croix De Beaucaillou
    1989 Chateau Margaux
    2003-2006 Chateau Lynch Bage
    2002 Chateau Lafite Rothschild
    1985 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron
    2005-2008 Errazuriz (my favorite Chilean Winery, particularly the Carmenere)
    2009 Greywacke Gewurtz
    2005 Chateau Rieussec Sauternes
    2005 Chateau Guiraud Sauternes

Cordon Bleu
    Chivas Royal Salute 21yrs
    Gentleman Jack
    Macallan 18yrs
    JW Bluelabel

My Cellar:
    I have about 150 bottles of wine i actually collect and cellar, most of them are French wine, hermitage, lynch bage, sauternes, gloria, haut brion, latour, cardinale etc. i am trying to keep track of them on excel sheet (i had one going, but got lazy updating it)

I am looking to invest in a wine fridge, probably eurocave or subzero, what are your suggestions on wine fridges?

There are apps for keeping track of a collection. Might be easier and for sure sexier than an Excel file. I normally just walk into Highlander and give the clerk my budget and he turns me onto something new I would not have considered previously.

Last edited by Supa Dexta; 01-05-2013 at 03:38 PM.

My Ride
    BMW

I just did it on Excel because i can put more notes and stuff in it. I also put in how much i bought it for, what year i bought it in and where i bought them. I am sure there are good apps for it now, compared to when i last looked lol

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    There are apps for keeping track of a collection. Might be easier and for sure sexier than an Excel file. I normally just walk into Highlander and give the clerk my budget and he turns me onto something new I would not have considered previously.

My Ride
    BMW

Seems like those are North American wine. I am personally not a big fan of North American wine, although some Napa wine are definitely among the best in the world.

I remember trying a wine called Chateau Montelena, which was featured in the movie Bottle Shock, it was a great wine, but quite pricey. A bottle i am waiting to drink when matured is called Cardinale, bought it for $200, hopefully it is what i expect.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Our wine just won a gold at the finger lakes wine fest. Not available out here though.

http://www.fliwc.com/results/2012results.asp

Lochview L'acadie from Jost winery.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Cool, I just finished ISG Level 1. I heard level two is quite a bit harder, leave alone their third one. How was the 2nd? I'd like to go back in the fall and get the 2nd installment done. Ideally I'd like to get my full fledged ISG Sommilier ticket, but we'll see how the cards fall this next year or two.
    For most people/events I buy Masi Campoflorin 2006 (Italy). I've never had a single person dislike it, even those who dont like reds. Its a good full bodied wine with hints of tobacco. It goes well with most meats.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2017 370Z / 2018 Sentra / 2008 Sentra

If you're going to invest in wine storage unit then make sure it has humidity control. Corks really dry-out here.

My Ride
    BMW

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Cool, I just finished ISG Level 1. I heard level two is quite a bit harder, leave alone their third one. How was the 2nd? I'd like to go back in the fall and get the 2nd installment done. Ideally I'd like to get my full fledged ISG Sommilier ticket, but we'll see how the cards fall this next year or two.
    For most people/events I buy Masi Campoflorin 2006 (Italy). I've never had a single person dislike it, even those who dont like reds. Its a good full bodied wine with hints of tobacco. It goes well with most meats.
    ISG level 2 is quite a bit harder, diploma level is intense, i have no time for it right now....

Amarone and supertuscans are my favorite italian wines...

Any luck on the hunt for a wine fridge? In the same boat myself right now.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

2005 Cakebread Chardonnay - That's about all I drink

My Ride
    preowned

im really not near as well versed as you all regarding wines, but we went with marvel wine coolers and beverage coolers. i did it to make the wife happy and "look" like i have a clue regarding wines. we were going to go the sub zero route to keep it consistent with the house, but i would be begging for spare change on the street corner as they are overpriced. a friend of a friend referred me to the marvel and said they are comparable to sub zero at a fraction of the price. something to look into; especially for a built-in appliance

My Ride
    BMW

Originally posted by Impreza
    Any luck on the hunt for a wine fridge? In the same boat myself right now.
    Havent really got around to actually buying one, but eurocave and subzero seems to be the way to go

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm heading down to Mexico for a wedding at the end of the month and I'd like to bring back a bottle of wine back for a friend. I know nothing about wines. Do you guys have any recommendations as to what to look for? I googled it and from what it sounds like, though not world class grade, "Mexican wine" isn't as bad as it sounds so I figured it might make a good souvenir.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Sorry D, I'm not familiar with Mexican wines, just get tequila.

As for wine, I barely drink beer or the hard stuff mainly red. I am no connoisseur, I just drink what I enjoy.

#1 is Masi Campofiorin 2008
    #2 is Apothic red 2011
    #3 is belive it or not co-op dry red wine. I tried a bottle and it was surprisingly good and $7 a bottle.

I used to really enjoy Yellow tail, but it hasn't been he same since 2008, and I don't store wine.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I never remember what it's called but it's a French wine in a weird shaped bottle that looks really old because there is like "fake dust" added. I like the wine though and it's easy to find!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I keep seeing that, I'll try a bottle.

Originally posted by msommers
    I never remember what it's called but it's a French wine in a weird shaped bottle that looks really old because there is like "fake dust" added. I like the wine though and it's easy to find!
    I think the wine you're referring to is La Fiole du Pape. This particular wine really isn't to my liking but I like this style of wine. If you like it, you should try other wines from the Rhone valley - particularly, other Chateauneuf du Pape's. Great values to be found in the Rhone region!

Originally posted by kvg
    Sorry D, I'm not familiar with Mexican wines, just get tequila.

As for wine, I barely drink beer or the hard stuff mainly red. I am no connoisseur, I just drink what I enjoy.

#1 is Masi Campofiorin 2008
    #2 is Apothic red 2011
    #3 is belive it or not co-op dry red wine. I tried a bottle and it was surprisingly good and $7 a bottle.

I used to really enjoy Yellow tail, but it hasn't been he same since 2008, and I don't store wine.
    The first 2 are my favourite .... you got good taste

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

That apothic white thats being sold at costco at the moment is a pretty good drop too
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Masi Campofiorin 2009 is on sale in co-op right now.

As for wines, Casa del Diablo, Montes Alpha, 1865, Parallel 49 are not bad.
    Carmen is not bad as well.
    I also tried cupcake cabernet Sauvignon a few days ago. It's also a decent wine at a low price.
    One thing I don't like about many US wines is that they mix too many different grapes but some US wines are very good
    Last edited by genesis0403; 01-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast