Quantcast
The BBQ and Smoking Thread - Page 38 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 38 of 144 FirstFirst ... 28 37 38 39 48 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m assume flat and plate are different words for the same part.

I have always hear them called flat and point.
    @ercchry is this was you are saying, or what?

Also, I'd assume I can't skimp on the rest period on a big cut like this. Two hours in the cooler good? Final interior temp for "costco prime"? I'd assume a touch higher then the wagu brisket @killramos did? I'm probably aiming for eating around 5pm, so into cooler around 3pm. Shit, I'll be putting this baby on early enough to get to bed at a good hour. Although may need to reload chips into smoker. Actually, for sure will.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also, I think the last brisket I did was the absurdly skinny and lean tiny one. I'd assume everyone recommends that I separate the flat and the point for this cook. No benefit to leaving them together?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I would leave them together if you can at all manage it without completely plugging airflow in your smoker.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Without digging back into everything.. what are the basics of smoking a brisket? I have one thats been in my freezer for a year or so.. hoping its not wrecked. Never done one before.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

No Frills was selling some pork picnic shoulders for $1/lb so I grabbed one. I don't have a smoker. Just a BBQ and stove. Any suggestions on how to cook it? Thinking of just slicing it up and doing stir frys
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So in Canada a “packer brisket” is technically the point, flat, and plate... I have only ever got one like this once and it was from Balzac meats. When you said it was HUGE and over 20lbs, this is what I’m picturing you also purchased. You would want to cut roughly where a normal briskets ends and separate the plate and flat and cook as two pieces. If you have an American style packer (which is much more popular) don’t hack it up. Cook the whole thing. To serve it’s easy to then separate point and flat, pull when flat is 203, point will be a little under. Toss cooked point into a food saver and freeze. Reheat in sous vide... or turn it into burnt ends

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Okay, that sounds like what I have. Point, flat and plate. Cutting plate off works for my length requirement.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    No Frills was selling some pork picnic shoulders for $1/lb so I grabbed one. I don't have a smoker. Just a BBQ and stove. Any suggestions on how to cook it? Thinking of just slicing it up and doing stir frys
    Do you have a pressure cooker or a slow cooker? If not, you're have to babysit it on the stove or in the oven for a nice long braise.
    Pulled pork or Serious Eats pork chile verde
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    So in Canada a “packer brisket” is technically the point, flat, and plate... I have only ever got one like this once and it was from Balzac meats. When you said it was HUGE and over 20lbs, this is what I’m picturing you also purchased. You would want to cut roughly where a normal briskets ends and separate the plate and flat and cook as two pieces. If you have an American style packer (which is much more popular) don’t hack it up. Cook the whole thing. To serve it’s easy to then separate point and flat, pull when flat is 203, point will be a little under. Toss cooked point into a food saver and freeze. Reheat in sous vide... or turn it into burnt ends
    Provided ExtraSlow got the Costco one(which I think he did), they look like this:

Additionally, if anyone's looking for this at Costco, Crossiron and Beacon Hill both have them.
    Trager branded Hickory chips were also $20 for the bag.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, I got the Costco brisket. Got the largest one they had, which was $91. If I end up with some overcooked ends I have lots of uses for that, like chili.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Yeah, so I got a little excited when trimming some of the hard fat, and separated the flat and point. Also, on close inspection of the two pieces, I don't think I have the plate on there. Now I can see the pieces individually, they look like normal, albeit large, flat and point cuts.

Of course, your advice to NOT separate the two cuts was smart, and I now regret not following it. I have too much thin stuff. I also got far too excited trimming fat and definitely cut too much off. Oh well, I have a use for overcooked or dried out bits. They are excellent in chili, which I'm cooking soon.

Before unwrapping, trimming and separating:
    Name:  20190510_085507.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  106.3 KB

Went from 9080g total weight to 5472g. Some of that was liquid in the plastic wrap.

Pics of trimmed flat, looking regular to me.
    Name:  20190510_094841.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  130.6 KB

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, no plate for sure... the plate doubles the length basically

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

it's still "long" but maybe 17 inches for the flat now it's all trimmed. Hard to fit in a 14 inch wide smoker . . .

Oh well, half the reason I do this style of cooking is for the adventure. I feel like once I know what I'm doing it'll be boring.

6am Mother's Day Costco brisket for me as well.
    Apple cider vinegar brining.
    Fat cap up.
    225F (Hi Smoke setting) with water can.
    Butcher paper wrap at 6-8 hours.
    Dinner at 7pm

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You run 225 the whole way? Neat. I've heard of people doing 275 the whole way too. I haven't tried yet.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Some guys swear by high heat smoking... i’ve Never had luck trying it. Old faithful 250F at grill for me. Just so easy to maintain

I tried 250 last time and it was a touch dry. That was with foil.
    So this time 225 + paper. Hopefully it works out.
    Rain forecasted for Sunday now though

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I'm curious what others think about cutting all of the fat off in regards to keeping the meat juicy and moist. Personally, I don't cut any off and I try to pick the piece with the most fat on it. Additionally, when I get meat from Master's I always ask for extra sheets of fat which I will lay over the brisket, again to ensure i keep all the moisture in it. Not to mention, that's where a lot of the flavour comes from.

Thoughts?
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I'm curious what others think about cutting all of the fat off in regards to keeping the meat juicy and moist. Personally, I don't cut any off and I try to pick the piece with the most fat on it. Additionally, when I get meat from Master's I always ask for extra sheets of fat which I will lay over the brisket, again to ensure i keep all the moisture in it. Not to mention, that's where a lot of the flavour comes from.

Thoughts?
    Well, fat is what makes these cuts juicy, and over an extended cook time, you do loose a lot of fat, so more is better, up to a point. If there's a thick enough layer of fat, the smoke won't be able to get past it and into the meat itself. Also, by the time you are eating it, most people want the fat layer to be very thin or nearly invisible. I can understand the argument for not trimming much fat. Don't be like me and just get into some kind of meditative trance and trim off all the fat. That's stupid.

Got everything started this morning at 3:25 AM. I like to ramp up the heat settings to maximize the smoke output from my electric smoker, otherwise it acts too much like an over. I did 150-180-225, and things are progressing nicely. I think I'll be done early, but that doesn't bother me. If I stall too hard, it's really easy to bump to 250 or 275 to power through.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 05-11-2019 at 09:33 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Smoke won’t penetrate the fat cap.

It’s the marbling that you really want.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 38 of 144 FirstFirst ... 28 37 38 39 48 ... LastLast