Quantcast
The BBQ and Smoking Thread - Page 26 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 26 of 142 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

Originally posted by Brent.ff

Smoke with it?
    Yes, it's good for +300 degree smoking so that's why I say pork/chicken.

There's too many air leaks for consistent temps under 300 in my experience. So brisket is doable, but if you don't use the Texas Crutch (oven/foil cheat) then you will likely end up with dry, not so tender beef. I even bought an Auber Instruments PID and blower for it.

Originally posted by Despair*

Pretty neat. How long have you been using a kiln shelf and have you noticed any differences over using it as a pizza stone or diffuser? Those are a fraction of the price you'd pay for name brand diffuser or Pizza stone. I might have to try one for my Keg.
    No real difference other than it hasn't broken/cracked on me yet, but I've only used it a handful of times over the winter. So in that way, it is better than any pizza stone I've used to date.

Let me know if you guys find a local supplier as all of my Googling led me to Ontario.

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.ca/m/prod...pan/1017375490

This is the diffuser I use now for the past 5 years after getting sick of clay diffusers splitting, bonus points sign up for their email and get a 20% off coupon
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Got some super meaty pork "country style rib ends" and some beef "simmering short ribs" that I'll do a long smoke on today. Maybe a 4-2-2 program. It's too much meat for the two adults here, but suspect I won't mind these leftovers.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Was gonna pull the trigger on this deal:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.k...000842229.html

but told to hold off due to upcoming wedding...i smell a smoker in my future

Originally posted by drtoohotty1
    https://m.bedbathandbeyond.ca/m/prod...pan/1017375490

This is the diffuser I use now for the past 5 years after getting sick of clay diffusers splitting, bonus points sign up for their email and get a 20% off coupon
    You have a Keg right? Does that cast iron Pizza pan fit onto the broilking keg diffuser bracket?
    PSN: DeceitfulWings
    XBL: DeceitfulWings

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Originally posted by phreezee

Yes, it's good for +300 degree smoking so that's why I say pork/chicken.

There's too many air leaks for consistent temps under 300 in my experience. So brisket is doable, but if you don't use the Texas Crutch (oven/foil cheat) then you will likely end up with dry, not so tender beef. I even bought an Auber Instruments PID and blower for it.
    I never had any issues sticking at a temp between 225 and 250, as long as I control how much is lit at the start, and make sure to slowly bring it up to temp and closing the vents early (around 170-180) But once you over shoot it is a lot more difficult to bring the temps down, but that is the same for all kamados. I usually have the bottom vent set at the screw, so about .5 if the vent settings are showing.

How old is your unit? They use a liquid gasket to seal up the bottom vent from the factory now. You can also take your ash tray off and give the seals a good pinch to loosen them up again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Got some super meaty pork "country style rib ends" and some beef "simmering short ribs" that I'll do a long smoke on today. Maybe a 4-2-2 program. It's too much meat for the two adults here, but suspect I won't mind these leftovers.
    Some pics:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    click for larger version

Nice little result. This cut of pork was not nearly as fatty as I thought when I looked at it in superstore, so in the end, it was pretty dry. Also slightly too much smoke, since I had the smoke on for the entire time the meat wasn't inside foil of the 4-2-2. Probably use the leftover pork for a chili or something.

Beef was fantastic as always. I just love beef short ribs.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by BigDL

I never had any issues sticking at a temp between 225 and 250, as long as I control how much is lit at the start, and make sure to slowly bring it up to temp and closing the vents early (around 170-180) But once you over shoot it is a lot more difficult to bring the temps down, but that is the same for all kamados. I usually have the bottom vent set at the screw, so about .5 if the vent settings are showing.

How old is your unit? They use a liquid gasket to seal up the bottom vent from the factory now. You can also take your ash tray off and give the seals a good pinch to loosen them up again.
    I bought it " 04-09-2013 01:05 PM" according to this thread lol.
    The new ones should be better as I definitely don't have that liquid gasket.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Was gonna pull the trigger on this deal:
    but told to hold off due to upcoming wedding...i smell a smoker in my future
    Ok...now need advice. Confirmed smoker (Traeger) as wedding present, but willing to change it out for a Kamado style

Thoughts!?

Ok...now need advice. Confirmed smoker (Traeger) as wedding present, but willing to change it out for a Kamado style

Thoughts!?
    I use a Kamodo style bbq myself. Quite a lot of fun, but there is some effort to learn how to adjust the vents to get the temperature results that you want. You can cook very low temperatures on them, and also very hot, up to 600+ Farenheit which is awesome for searing meats, and doing pizzas, calzones. They are pretty efficient in terms of charcoal usage too, and you can notice the difference cooking with charcoal makes.

Never used a Traeger pellet grill myself but I've heard a lot of great things about them. They are supposed to be easy to use and maintain the temperature with little to no effort. But they can't quite hit the high temperatures you can reach with a kamodo.

Maybe take a read over this article: http://www.firecraft.com/article/tra...-big-green-egg

Both are great options, it depends on the experience you want and the pros and cons of each style of bbq.
    PSN: DeceitfulWings
    XBL: DeceitfulWings

Originally posted by cyra1ax
    Update: Picked up a Weber Genesis S330 with Sear burner and side burner that was on clearance at HD for $977. HD also had the sign up for our credit card and get $100 off so it ended up being $877+GST.

Went to Barbeques Galore to scope out Napoleon and the new Genesis II series, the sales person didn't give a compelling argument as to why one would get the Genesis II over the outgoing models, and the Napoleon's just couldn't compete on price with that older Genesis. That rotisserie burner on the Napoleon's is definitely nice though....
    I just picked up the Genesis II E-310 on the weekend. Galore priced matched the 15% off at rona. Saved $135 off the $899.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

They have brisket on sale at the Sobeys in Nolan Hill, it was 4.95 ish per pound.

Not a cooking related post but.......

Does anyone have any contacts for buying a Weber BBQ? A group I organize is raising money to buy Ronald MacDonald House a new BBQ for summer, and any help to make our money go further would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Dave P
    Not a cooking related post but.......

Does anyone have any contacts for buying a Weber BBQ? A group I organize is raising money to buy Ronald MacDonald House a new BBQ for summer, and any help to make our money go further would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave
    I may be able to help. I am in pretty good with Home Depot in Country Hills, they have helped me a lot in the past, and may be willing to help again for something like this.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

They have brisket on sale at the Sobeys in Nolan Hill, it was 4.95 ish per pound.
    It is actually $4.54/lb, I'll put up a picture when I get home.

My Ride
    Audi

I picked up some pork belly at T and T (6.99/lb) and decided to try a maple espresso bacon.

http://leitesculinaria.com/95593/wri...-espresso.html

Couldn't find espresso powder so I subbed instant coffee instead.

Hopefully it turns out...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

^^It will. I use Folgers instant coffee when I do a similar recipie
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

It is actually $4.54/lb, I'll put up a picture when I get home.

You can get brisket cheaper at canadian wholesale (superstore equivalent of costco). Usually 3.50 a pound.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Originally posted by KappaSigma

You can get brisket cheaper at canadian wholesale (superstore equivalent of costco). Usually 3.50 a pound.
    That is good to know, I been there a few times in the past where there was no brisket and I was craving it that and I didn't remember the price that they sell it for.
    Last edited by BigDL; 04-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Page 26 of 142 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast