Page 134 of 144 FirstFirst ... 124 133 134 135 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 2870

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I have the same regret on the save on ribs, shoulda emptied the freezer

My Ride
    V8s

Ya I was just thinking this week I should’ve bought more of those ribs. They are excellent.

My Ride
    *The First*

Couple of smoked prime ribs and threw some corn and wrapped potatoes on.
    Man, maintaining temps as low as 225 is a full time job without a water pan on a WSM! I am still learning that skill. But the final results were simply incredible! I have sticky pants from the burnt ends.
    Pictures are mediocre because I had a lot of other shit going on with picking up kids, crying kid who got her ass handed to her in Ju-Jitsu and trying to not incinerate corn on hot coals!

Hey, do these shitty cut marks on the left indicate poor cutting technique or moreso a dull knife?

Name:  Screenshot_20230526_195220_Gallery.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  326.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20230526_195237_Gallery.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  248.9 KB
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 05-27-2023 at 10:15 AM. Reason: DULL knife... Not full knife

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Sir I think you meant to post in the overpay flex thread, we can only afford $5 ribs here

Looks amazing, I'm sure it was tasty as fuuuuuuu

My Ride
    *The First*

They were less than half price last week at Safeway!
    Need some other dildos to post deals in the meat deal thread.

Tossed this pork shoulder on the smoker today at 830 with some hickory and cherry chunks. Never done of these before, hope it’s ready in time for dinner. I think I’ll wrap it after 5 hours after smoke flavour is imparted and finish in the oven instead of wasting charcoal.
    Name:  IMG_0700.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  455.1 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

For shame!! Charcoal is never wasted.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Once it's wrapped, BTUs are BTUs. Electric BTUs are much cheaper than premium charcoal BTUs.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Turned out amazing. Will definitely do this again

Name:  IMG_0704.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  522.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0753.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  223.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0755.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  85.3 KB

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tossed this pork shoulder on the smoker today at 830 with some hickory and cherry chunks. Never done of these before, hope it’s ready in time for dinner. I think I’ll wrap it after 5 hours after smoke flavour is imparted and finish in the oven instead of wasting charcoal.
    Name:  IMG_0700.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  455.1 KB
    You can put it on the night before, and then roll it at 250 well into the next day. I'd probably trim more of the fat.

If it finishes early to 200 or 205, you can wrap it up tightly, then wrap in a few beach towels and throw in a cooler. It will still be too hot to touch 4-5 hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You can put it on the night before, and then roll it at 250 well into the next day. I'd probably trim more of the fat.

If it finishes early to 200 or 205, you can wrap it up tightly, then wrap in a few beach towels and throw in a cooler. It will still be too hot to touch 4-5 hours later.
    No issues with bark being too dry starting it unattended overnight? I was spraying with apple cider vinegar/water 50/50 mix every 45 mins starting from 2 hours in. Do you use a water pan to keep it humid in the smoker overnight?

I pulled it from the smoker at 2:30 at around 175, wrapped tightly in tinfoil with a bit more ACV, then finished in convection oven at 275. It got to 201 by around 4:30 but wasn’t tender enough so I took it another hour to 208-209 and it probed like butter at that point.

Was planning on resting for an hour but a bunch of shit came up in the evening so I didn’t get to opening it ip until 8:30pm (3 hr rest). Was still very warm and pulled apart very easy (just rested on my stovetop with the exhaust fan running)

I think if I would do it again I’d start at 630am and it should be ready and rested by 6pm.

I was actually going to trim up the fat a bit more but then I saw this YouTube video where he gave a tip to score it to help render. Worked out really good, no hard pieces but I did slice a bit off after it was cooked as it was just a bit too much with an already fatty cut

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I was spraying with apple cider vinegar/water 50/50 mix every 45 mins starting from 2 hours in.
    Isn't that a lot? Like waaay too much opening the lid and adding moisture that just needs to evaporate off? Aren't you basically creating a mini-stall every time you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I never spray any of my bbq. I’m sure it’s a decent technique? But I’ve never bothered.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There's many better bbq guys than me on here. I just like to learn about the process and mechanics of it.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

No issues with bark being too dry starting it unattended overnight? I was spraying with apple cider vinegar/water 50/50 mix every 45 mins starting from 2 hours in. Do you use a water pan to keep it humid in the smoker overnight?

I pulled it from the smoker at 2:30 at around 175, wrapped tightly in tinfoil with a bit more ACV, then finished in convection oven at 275. It got to 201 by around 4:30 but wasn’t tender enough so I took it another hour to 208-209 and it probed like butter at that point.

Was planning on resting for an hour but a bunch of shit came up in the evening so I didn’t get to opening it ip until 8:30pm (3 hr rest). Was still very warm and pulled apart very easy (just rested on my stovetop with the exhaust fan running)

I think if I would do it again I’d start at 630am and it should be ready and rested by 6pm.

I was actually going to trim up the fat a bit more but then I saw this YouTube video where he gave a tip to score it to help render. Worked out really good, no hard pieces but I did slice a bit off after it was cooked as it was just a bit too much with an already fatty cut

I dont usually spray. I think water pans are voodoo and don't do much.

I'm too lazy to get up at 5.30 to prep everything, so I start the night before, and it's resting by 2pm or so the next day. Then I can feed the kids or the group at 5pm if I need to. Plus it frees up the smoker for my beans and other things for a few hours before dinner.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I personally like to trim similar to this (not as extreme if it’s for home consumption though). This does two things: more bark, faster cooking. Can trim, and salt the day before then easily toss this on in the am and be ready for dinner without wrapping

I like mops, but vinegar and water is a little boring. If you add some more flavour to it, you can end up with something that doesn’t even need sauce. Depending on the style of cooker opening the lid is meaningless, it’s back up to temp asap. Haven’t noticed it adding much more time due to “stalling” either, but this style of trim powers through a stall anyways, then the only other meats I mop is chicken and ribs, no concerns there obviously. It adds so much flavour and moisture it’s well worth it.

I need a water pan for my style of cooker, it’s not about moisture, it’s a heat sink to equal out flare ups in temperatures

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I personally like to trim similar to this (not as extreme if it’s for home consumption though). This does two things: more bark, faster cooking. Can trim, and salt the day before then easily toss this on in the am and be ready for dinner without wrapping

I like mops, but vinegar and water is a little boring. If you add some more flavour to it, you can end up with something that doesn’t even need sauce. Depending on the style of cooker opening the lid is meaningless, it’s back up to temp asap. Haven’t noticed it adding much more time due to “stalling” either, but this style of trim powers through a stall anyways, then the only other meats I mop is chicken and ribs, no concerns there obviously. It adds so much flavour and moisture it’s well worth it.

I need a water pan for my style of cooker, it’s not about moisture, it’s a heat sink to equal out flare ups in temperatures

this man knows

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah that guy knows. Also totally agree about it being okay to be done early. A pork butt or brisket can rest 3 hours no problem. Probably better than 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Plus it frees up the smoker for my beans and other things for a few hours before dinner.
    I don’t know how this didn’t cross my mind before. I’m convinced now to start it late night next time just so I can finally try a couple of smoked side dishes that I’ve always avoided due to timing.

smoked queso dip and a basic block of cream cheese are on my list. What other side dishes do well in a smoker? Anyone try a cheesecake or other dessert?

My Ride
    *The First*

I've had smoked peanut butter before, and it was quite good. Sounds weird but it was good.

Page 134 of 144 FirstFirst ... 124 133 134 135 ... LastLast