Quantcast
The BBQ and Smoking Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 142 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default The BBQ and Smoking Thread

Just a continuation of my other thread since it sounds like a lot of people like talking about BBQs. The weather's getting nice, so grilling season is upon us. Let's use this thread to share recipes, tips, questions, etc.

As I mentioned in my other thread, I just picked up a Broil King Signet 20 over the weekend. I assembled it yesterday but didn't get to use it yet since I didn't have all the right parts to hook it up to the gas line. I got what I needed before BBQs Galore closed so I'll get to break it in tomorrow.

To be honest, up until now BBQing wasn't much more than turning on the grill, throwing meat on, and flipping it around a couple times until it was ready, but after talking to the guy at BBQs Galore, he gave me lots of tips to try out that I never thought of or heard before.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try smoking a couple chicken breasts with some apple wood chips. Anyone have any suggestion as to how long I should be doing that for?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Get a wireless thermometer then you don't have to guess or open the lid to check.

When I cook my chicken under low heat in my BK, it usually takes 1.5 to 2hrs.

I can't wait to fire up my grill neither. Had I not been sick for the past few days, I probably would have done it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Oh nice, I didn't even know they made wireless thermometers. What are you using?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I bought my Signet90 last yr from BBQs Galore too. Love it.

You can buy those wireless thermometers just about anywhere, they are around 30-50 bucks.

You probably have smoker box already, you may also buy spray bottle to oil the grill, basting set, silicone glove. A griddle is the next thing I want to buy. I want the whole neighbourhood to smell like bacon and sausages in the morning.

Rotisserie chicken, beer can chicken, chicken thigh, chicken wings, steaks, ribs, cedar plank salmon, lamb chops, pork chops, grilled squid, bacon wrapped scallops, mushrooms, peppers, asparagus, sweet potatoes, tomatoes..........I basically cooked outside whenever I could last summer, can't wait to do it again, yum.

I was just gonna make this thread! haha

Anyways, ...

I tried smoking some ribs over the weekend.

Put a couple racks of pork side ribs on the bbq with a spice rub. I had 2 smoker boxes with maple chips. I soaked them a little bit beforehand.

I used indirect heat and and tried to keep the temp like 200-250 deg F. Basically the one burner was on low and that's it. The problem I had was that it wasn't hot enough and barely burnt the chips at all. It didn't really end up being smoked at all.

Any tips on this sort of thing, or should I buy a smoker?

edit : I REALLY wanna smoke a pork shoulder for like 12hrs and make pulled pork sandwiches. mmmmm
    Last edited by nonofyobiz; 04-11-2011 at 08:58 PM.

For people new to smoking, I like the Bradley smokers. They are relatively cheap, easy to control temp (electric) and have wood pucks that work amazing. I've had mine for over a year, and have made awesome brisket, pulled pork, ribs etc. I am now thinking of making the leap into something more pro, but will definately keep my Bradley for those easy, lazy times.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

I have a webber smokey mountain cooker..love it. As for "smoking" something on a gas grill. I've never had much success with those little boxes and wet chips. This year I started using chunks of wood in my charcoal...works well.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I usually crank the heat up until you can see smoke coming out of the box. It doesn't get that hot inside with just one burner on. Then I turn it down to low and put the meat on. If it's too hot, you can open the lid and cool it down a bit too.

Sometimes I don't even put the lid on the smoker box so that I can add more chips later.

look for my old threads...

my team is "Team 58" on the pnwba

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by nonofyobiz
    I used indirect heat and and tried to keep the temp like 200-250 deg F. Basically the one burner was on low and that's it. The problem I had was that it wasn't hot enough and barely burnt the chips at all. It didn't really end up being smoked at all.
    Haha yeah my attempt at smoking a couple chicken breasts was a failure yesterday too but I think I figured out a couple ways to fix that.

I also used indirect heat and tried keeping the temperature around 200 with one burner on med/med-low. When I first started, the temperature wasn't hot enough to burn the chips so I cranked the heat until I got some smoke going then lowered the temperature.

Like lilmira said, next time I'm just going to keep the smoker box open so I can add more chips if needed.

My biggest goof? When I assembled my grill, I left the rotisserie holders off since I don't have one. In doing so, it left gaping holes on each side of the BBQ and all the smoke got out! After about 20 minutes there was no more smoke cause the wood had burned out and it had escaped through the sides Yeeaaah, I'm gonna go put those on today after work haha

My chicken did taste like it had been smoked, however it didn't have the apple flavour.

try a whole chicken. takes like 2 hours with one burner on med heat. had no trouble getting smoke doing that

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yep, I'm hungry now. Thanks.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Sonofabitch.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm in the process of building a flower pot smoker. Supposed to replacate the kamado style. Check youtube for "alton brown flower pot smoker" to get an idea.
    Not complete yet, but I'm hoping to have that done this fall and be smoking shit all winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I smoke on my propane BBQ all the time when I want to do something easily controlled and with little prep. Smoke boxes with soaked wood chips directly on the burners on one side and no fire under the meat. I usually crank the heat until the chips start smoking, than turn it down and add the meat to the other side, keeping the BBQ internal heat around 225/250 degrees.

Now when I smoke for the pure enjoyment and ritual of it, real lump charcoal and pieces of apple wood from my mom's orchard in BC are the only way to go! You don't need to go nuts either to do some nice food. You would be surprised what you can do with one of those cheap $50.00 kettle smokers from Bass Pro. I have a Turkey on one as we speak! Up at 4:30am today getting that bad boy ready for dinner tonight! Yummmmmmmm!!!

4.5 hours into the day long smoke and already looking wicked!

Originally posted by tirebob
    I smoke on my propane BBQ all the time when I want to do something easily controlled and with little prep. Smoke boxes with soaked wood chips directly on the burners on one side and no fire under the meat. I usually crank the heat until the chips start smoking, than turn it down and add the meat to the other side, keeping the BBQ internal heat around 225/250 degrees.

Now when I smoke for the pure enjoyment and ritual of it, real lump charcoal and pieces of apple wood from my mom's orchard in BC are the only way to go! You don't need to go nuts either to do some nice food. You would be surprised what you can do with one of those cheap $50.00 kettle smokers from Bass Pro. I have a Turkey on one as we speak! Up at 4:30am today getting that bad boy ready for dinner tonight! Yummmmmmmm!!!

you just need to mod the "el cheapo" brinkmann with a better thermometer and some additional heat resistant gaskets and other quick mods to retain more heat and make it easier to add fuel

and it will be a "decent" butdget smoker for a fractgion of a weber smokey mountain

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Wow, is there a guide some where about how to get started with one of those "el cheapo" smokers and what I need to do to cook a turkey.

I have the brine and oven method down pat, but I want to try a smoked turkey for Christmas.

Page 1 of 142 1 2 11 ... LastLast