Quantcast
The BBQ and Smoking Thread - Page 47 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 47 of 142 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

My Ride
    V167

Thanks for the recommendations re bbq. I will likely go ahead with the Napoleon 425SIB.

Can I expect it to be on sale in the next month or two as it is end of season?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I believe they are on sale now
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Forgot the clean the smoker after the last cook a few weeks ago. One good thing about a smoker is that the "dirty stuff" is pretty much pasteurized, so usually nothing grows or rots. No big difference cleaning it same day vs weeks later. Still an annoying job no matter how long you procrastinate.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Checking some real shit down in Spring TX.
    Name:  20190911_123844~2.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  214.3 KB
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2011 Audi A6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Anyone done a "hot" brisket at 275f? I'm scared to try that, but it intrigues me. Bases on my messing around and temperature tracking, it seems that the stall is highly dependent on the temperature setting. In my smoker, it's always about 50F below the set temp.
    Attachment 87178

Probably doing a brisket this weekend. Don't think I'll do the "hot" version, but I am confident in my ability to get past the stall easily with increasing temps.

Also, my wife made a neat gadget with our raspberry Pi that intercepts the wireless thermometer signals and puts them into a spreadsheet and graph automatically. I used to have to manually type them in like a damned animal.
    Bit of a late reply, but I've done high heat briskets at more like 325F (method is on virtual weber bullet site) and have had good success. You need to wrap for the second half of the cook so the bark isn't quite as good but it can be unwrapped and set a bit at the end. I've even done a high heat and a low and slow side by side, one in the Weber and one in my barrel smoker. Had 20 people over, the consensus was there wasn't a noticeable difference. If I was to get really picky, the collagen breakdown was a bit better on the overnight brisket.

Have an 11 lb brisket coming off in a few hours, currently stalled at 180F or so. Will throw on some turkey breasts (first try), bacon explosion, sausage, etc. on the smoker in a bit since it is up and running. Gonna be a meat fest tonight.

My Ride
    *The First*

Where are people getting these graphs of temperatures from? I assume it's fancy thermometers that go right in the meat throughout the cook and transmit to your phone?
    Sounds expensive. How much are these things and where can I buy them?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    Bit of a late reply, but I've done high heat briskets at more like 325F (method is on virtual weber bullet site) and have had good success. You need to wrap for the second half of the cook so the bark isn't quite as good but it can be unwrapped and set a bit at the end. I've even done a high heat and a low and slow side by side, one in the Weber and one in my barrel smoker. Had 20 people over, the consensus was there wasn't a noticeable difference. If I was to get really picky, the collagen breakdown was a bit better on the overnight brisket.
    Why would you need to wrap the hot brisket? I thought the extra-high heat was to power through the stall?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Where are people getting these graphs of temperatures from? I assume it's fancy thermometers that go right in the meat throughout the cook and transmit to your phone?
    Well, that quoted graph is from my wireless thermometer that I check every 5-10 minutes for the whole cook and enter manually into a spreadsheet.
    Mine is a ThermoPro TP12, which I think is obsolete, but similar models are $50 or so.

Because we are geeks, my wife got our Raspberry Pi (mini computer) to intercept these signals, and automatically create and update a spreadsheet. So that's handy if I'm cooking overnight or I want to do something other than hang out in my living room with a laptop all day.

My Ride
    2011 Audi A6 Avant

Why would you need to wrap the hot brisket? I thought the extra-high heat was to power through the stall?
    The high heat method I used is this one https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket-high-heat/. It is 325F+ for the whole cook, finish a brisket in 4-5 hours instead of 12-16 hours.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Glad to have found this thread! I've spent a lot of time in Houston the last 10 years and really love the BBQ down there. And I recently picked up a Traeger Silverton from Costco and have started dabbling the art of smoking. I've done a brisket, whole chicken, wings, and just last night smoked teryaki salmon. All have turned out great and I've got a freezer full of ribs ready for the next attempt.

Edit:

Traeger Silverton - I know it's the Costco version, but it's done great for me so far and it's a good usage of the space it takes up. It has more grill space than the Traeger 600, and has rear convection ports for the smoke. Plus it's rated for much colder weather than the regular horizontal barrel designs....although I do feel like I'm missing out by not having the cute little side chimney.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

1/2 Brisket (flat)

Brisket dinner with home made coleslaw & pickles
    click for larger version

Smoked Teryaki Salmon
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/9xv7NG8.jpg[/bimg

Smoked Ginger Ale Chicken
    click for larger version
    Last edited by freshprince1; 09-19-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    My Fireboard populates graphs to a web interface showing probe temps, grill temps, and if I'm using the Kamado it shows fan output as well
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

Going to do my first rack of ribs on the smoker this Sunday. Anyone have favourite baby back recipe's?
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can't really go wrong with the standard 3-2-1 option, especially when you are starting out.
    Take the membrane off the back, rub them, let em sit in the fridge overnight, drink 6-12 beers while they are cooking. Enjoy. There's a lot of fucking around you can do, but starting at 3-2-1 is a good move.

My Ride

Can't really go wrong with the standard 3-2-1 option, especially when you are starting out.
    Take the membrane off the back, rub them, let em sit in the fridge overnight, drink 6-12 beers while they are cooking. Enjoy. There's a lot of fucking around you can do, but starting at 3-2-1 is a good move.
    Some say babybacks I think do better 2-2-1? Sides are great 3-2-1.....I don't usually ever make babyback though, don't like them as much.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    Some say babybacks I think do better 2-2-1? Sides are great 3-2-1.....I don't usually ever make babyback though, don't like them as much.
    I'm just saying for your first time, start at 3-2-1 and you'll be fine. I don't think it's the best, and it's not how I do it, but for a first try, you'll end up with something tasty as hell, and a good base to experiment from.

My Ride

I'm just saying for your first time, start at 3-2-1 and you'll be fine. I don't think it's the best, and it's not how I do it, but for a first try, you'll end up with something tasty as hell, and a good base to experiment from.
    For sure, I wasn't disagreeing, just adding to the conversation

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Roger that good buddy.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Maybe I'm just lazy or I like the simplicity but I always do back ribs on my weber with a simple rub for ~4-5 hours, straight on the grill. When they're almost done I lather them in BBQ sauce. They're done when I try to pick up one end up and they flex enough between the bones that the meat cracks open. Master Meats has some great marinaded back ribs that always turn out fantastic using this lazy method.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride

I ended up using a Traeger 3-2-1 recipe and they turned out amazing. 3hrs @ 180F rubbed with mustard, apple juice, and Worcestershire sauce; then rub with brown sugar, honey, and a dry rub, wrap with foil for 2hrs @225F; then unwrap, brush on sauce, and put back on for 30-60min @ 225F until sauce tightens. They weren't incredibly tender, but the meat had a great texture and flavour.

click for larger version

click for larger version
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride

I find the quality of the ribs makes a HUGE difference in the tenderness as well. I usually only use Costco ribs, they're consistently great and always turn out good. I didn't have enough once, and I made some Safeway ribs side, and there was no mistaking which was which. The Safeway ones were just overall tougher, and less juicy. The Costco ones were fall off the bone with good texture and good flavour.

Did a 20 lb batch of Elk pepperoni sticks last night with a new flavor. Had them smoking upwards of 9 hours.

Page 47 of 142 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast