Quantcast
New nintendo console, Wii 2 w/ HD? gtfo ps3/360, maybe... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New nintendo console, Wii 2 w/ HD? gtfo ps3/360, maybe...

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Default New nintendo console, Wii 2 w/ HD? gtfo ps3/360, maybe...

Wii 2
    New Nintendo Console Debuting At E3 This June, Launching In 2012, More Powerful Than Xbox 360 and PS3

StephenTotilo — Nintendo's next console will debut at E3 in June, moving the maker of Mario and Zelda into the HD era. The news, first reported by Game Informer today, confirms rumors that have been swirling for months in the wake of slowing game releases from Nintendo.

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

We've asked Nintendo for comment and will let you know if they shock us and spill the beans. Update: Nintendo responded to our inquiry with a standard "Nintendo does not comment on rumor or speculation".

E3 kicks off on June 7, though Nintendo's E3 press conference may occur the day before, if tradition holds.
    next gen GPUs have to be at least 1gb min, hopefully. so good news... maybe

http://kotaku.com/#!5792165/new-nint...ox-360-and-ps3

http://www.gamer-uk.co.uk/archives/2269

That is great news that Nintendo's new console coming out in 2012 will be faster than what Microsoft and Sony put out over half a decade ago.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

well since the big 2 are due for their ~5 year upgrade interval pretty quick here, if nintendo makes a 'proper' console that competes, they have an advantage to set the higher benchmark for specs on next gen consoles, so great news or potential massive fk up by nintendo.

Honestly, I can't take Nintendo seriously even if they make it more powerful. They need to get rid of that ridiculous 'Friend Code' system and take some tips from Microsoft regarding their online.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by n1zm0
    well since the big 2 are due for their ~5 year upgrade interval pretty quick here, if nintendo makes a 'proper' console that competes, they have an advantage to set the higher benchmark for specs on next gen consoles, so great news or potential massive fk up by nintendo.
    Microsoft and Sony will likely be doing a 10 year cycle. So new xbox and ps3 in 2015 at the earliest.

IGN did state though that this was going to be more powerful than both ps3 and 360 from their sources.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Either way, it's about time!

Apparently its code name is project cafe, it should have been dust collector 2. I doubt they will have a solid online system, all they did for 3DS was get rid of friend codes for each game but still there for the console. I should definitely play my dust collector 1 this summer. I don't know why I bought it a second time.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    That is great news that Nintendo's new console coming out in 2012 will be faster than what Microsoft and Sony put out over half a decade ago.
    OK.. I LOL'd

My Ride
    ED-7

nintendo systems are a big PITA to get working properly with developers... one reason is because they are so reluctant to provide any type of decent engine support for other devs aside their own...

I'm assuming that this new hardware release is going to be a PITA to work with for awhile based on what the other teams have reported in the company...

would be cool to see the new rumored touch panel controllers and if there is any connectivity to the 3DS.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by beecue
    Apparently its code name is project cafe, it should have been dust collector 2. I doubt they will have a solid online system, all they did for 3DS was get rid of friend codes for each game but still there for the console. I should definitely play my dust collector 1 this summer. I don't know why I bought it a second time.
    This lol. I never play my wii so I am glad mine is modded as I play a game once then never again

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by n1zm0
    Actually, the 5 year refresh (for the 360 anyways) already happened (Kinect). Yay.

Of course, with games like ME3, GoW3, etc coming out, as an adult that can't sit around and play video games (most days), I don't mind that I get 1 or 2 quality games a year to hammer on then retire

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Actually, the 5 year refresh (for the 360 anyways) already happened (Kinect). Yay.
    yeah i guess, the 'slim' of both consoles came out recently too

BUT, as history dictates with the 4-5 year refresh/new console: 2014 is the next gen console projected date

The next Xbox and the next PlayStation won't be released until 2014, if Microsoft and Sony have their way, industry sources tell Kotaku.

Both companies are hoping to wait out the current generation, and extending an already elongated console life-cycle despite clear signs that Nintendo will launch its next machine by the end of 2012.

"Both MS and Sony are telegraphing to each other that they're delaying, to milk the current [generation] and fill in previous craters better," one insider who has worked with the first-party companies like Sony and Microsoft told us.

Other sources with access to first-party companies, speaking to Kotaku anonymously because they aren't authorized to be talking about Microsoft and Sony's plans, said that they too are hearing that 2014 is the target date, though some believe 2013 could happen if either company feels pushed.

Our insider believes that any new Xbox in 2013 would only be a Kinect-upgraded 360, not the next-gen console that would come in 2014. That source says that Microsoft doesn't even know what parts will be in the next Xbox. They say the company's board "is wrestling with whether to be profitable on day one," as Nintendo's Wii was presumed to be, or to once again launch a new console at a loss, which is what Sony and Microsoft usually do.

A wait for a new Xbox or PlayStation until 2014 would make the Xbox 360 the lead Microsoft gaming console for nine years and the PlayStation 3 Sony's chief console for eight. That would be an unusually long time for successful game consoles to retain their importance.

~

"I think we'll see a game of chicken between Sony and Microsoft," industry analyst Billy Pidgeon of the firm M2 Research told Kotaku. "Sony definitely isn't launching a successor before 2014 and could stand to benefit by having Microsoft launch first as PS3 builds in to North America and builds a strong position in Europe. Microsoft claims there's a lot more room in Xbox 360 for developers to max out, but here PS3 could have a strong advantage."

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

That is also something that is interesting... are the consoles maxed out? Or do developers still have power that they haven't harnessed? I mean, compared to the Xbox/PS2 some new games are amazing quality-wise, but it makes you wonder if a new console will actually make that better?

My Ride
    S14|TB1

i wouldnt say maxed out cause devs are now just finally really getting to know these 7th gen era consoles (DICEs new tech for pipelining info faster on the consoles for example with Frostbite 2) but dated tech of course, there is only 512mb of ram @ 700 mhz and a 512mb dedicated GPU in a 360. just even doubling the mb for the current gpu and ram would make a whole new console itself.

Damn it might be coming out this year. http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html