Quantcast
Schizophrenia/Psychosis - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Schizophrenia/Psychosis

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Default Schizophrenia/Psychosis

Couldn't think of a good place to post this.

I want to know if anyone on here can tell me some good literature about schizophrenia. I want a better understanding of what it is like for a person experiencing it. A laymen explanation that gives a detailed understanding, much like Dr.Hares books on Psychopathy (if anyone has read them) would be perfect.
    Last edited by derpderp; 04-14-2011 at 07:59 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Just ask the guy standing behind you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
    Just ask the guy standing behind you.
    He isn't standing behind me, he is just in the back of my head watching...controlling me!

Also, my hand doesn't feel in place.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Shoot cough medicine for a year and and check it out for yourself
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

A pharmaceutical company once did a simulated video of what it is like to live as a schizophrenic. I will see if I can find it for you.

It was relatively short, but it gave you an idea of what someone could be going through. As far as literature goes, check Amazon. There are a few books out there that could help.

Are you trying to find info for a specific reason?

edit: Here is the video... turn your volume up though so you can hear the background voices

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T14neSm599g

My Ride

Ah, creepy stuff. Thank you.

I enjoy psychology which has resulted in reading a range of subjects on the matter. But, keeping it simple for personal reasons: I just want to understand what an individual close to me is dealing with and want to be able to understand their thoughts and behaviors.

My Ride
    V167

DSM-IV.

Read up on the DSM criteria for diagnosis first.

There are several forms of schizophrenia. For instance, what you're asking about changes depending on whether you want to know about catatonia? Disorganized schiz? Psychosis? Paranoid type?

Many people diagnosed with schizophrenia remain high functioning individuals, such as those that are able to acknowledge their delusions. Others can't, like the ones that think that the secret service is involved in everything, and ask for a change in psychiatrist every other week. They may hole themselves up at home in fear or going outside and having the spy cameras see them, for example.

An extreme example of a paranoid schiz would be the fellow from the greyhound bus, who was probably so paranoid that "such and such" was out to get them that they had to resolve (i.e. kill) them first.

Schizophrenia can be immensely different for others, e.g. of disorganized type, who may have a psychotic break where their reality is so distorted that they cannot function. They walk into doors, they ask for toothpaste to spread on their bread, then do exactly the same.

Other schizophrenic individuals actively hear voices that tell them to do things, or tell them that they're worthless, that they're shit. Or, they may have command hallucinations where they commit suicide, or harm animals, individuals, jump in front of trains...

If you're wondering what reality is like for these people, imagine what it would be like to

1) hold a belief that is false, but you yourself do not think it is false, contrary to all norms, conventions, and truths of the world. E.g. "I was elected president of the United States in 1987." Now hold this belief, and regardless of what tangible evidence is presented to you, maintain that YOU are correct. Everyone else is wrong; history books have been changed... etc.

2) hear voices that only you can hear. Hear them at all times of the day. Hear them so much that they're real. And these voices aren't nice voices, they're telling you negative things... and only negative things. It's so ubiquitous that you're tormented, so tormented that you essentially "go nuts."

3) mistake things for what they are. But again, you don't realize that you're mistaken. Reality is distorted, but you don't think that it is. You talk, but you don't say anything perceptibly understandable. But you think you do.

4) lose interest in everything. Lose interest in eating, taking care of yourself, attending to daily activities.

Now put these together, all or some, and you've got the basic premise of living the life of a schizophrenic.

My Ride
    AWOL

Perception is reality.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

woah.

cocaine is one helluva drug

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Default Re: Schizophrenia/Psychosis

My uncle had it bad.

I went to several lectures regarding it.

The best way for me to expain it is by stating what it is not. in a way it is like an opposite to Parkinson's. In Parkinson certain brain activities are slowed. If you have ever watched "Awakenings" you will know that Oliver Slacks Tried to use El and L Dopa to treat Parkinsons - unfortunately the side effects of LSD were portrayed realistically in the movie and things did not work out so well.

As mentioned Schizophrenia is much the opposite but it can be treated - more on that later. The brain goes into overdrive and there may even be swelling in certain areas. So it is like having a bad acid trip. The big flaming Jesus on the wall to someone with Schizophrenia is real and it really is out to get them.

The unfortunate part is that though people with Schizophrenia are usually very intelligent but they tend to not think through all responsibilities. So when given treatment they take it until some symptoms go away, the symptoms are gone, and though they should be continuing treatment they feel they are now fine and stop.

.. and the cycle repeats.

A great place to start is here...

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ssacalg/

[/i]
    Couldn't think of a good place to post this.

I want to know if anyone on here can tell me some good literature about schizophrenia. I want a better understanding of what it is like for a person experiencing it. A laymen explanation that gives a detailed understanding, much like Dr.Hares books on Psychopathy (if anyone has read them) would be perfect.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: Re: Schizophrenia/Psychosis

Originally posted by alloroc
    The unfortunate part is that though people with Schizophrenia are usually very intelligent but they tend to not think through all responsibilities. So when given treatment they take it until some symptoms go away, the symptoms are gone, and though they should be continuing treatment they feel they are now fine and stop.
    Forgot what the drug name is but it's design to "slow" you down so you stop over-thinking things.

@legendboy, yeahyeah
    Right.. because all Schizophrenic's do drugs

Here's some stories from schizophrenics that's might help you understand.
    http://schizophreniadiaries.com/schizophrenic-stories/

A few things you need to know if you have someone close to you with schizophrenia. What I write is from experience, I have a very close friend with schizophrenia.

1 Schizophrenia is different from multiple personality disorder, although someone with schizophrenia could have multiple personality disorder they are two different things. So ignore the people that tell you to look behind you, or ask your other self... these people watch too much TV and are easy to follow others instead of doing the research themselves.

2 You’ll want to watch “A beautiful mind” watch it once now and watch it again after you’ve been exposed to the person for a year or so, you’ll see it in a whole new light.

3 Don’t concentrate on what the person says but on how they’re saying it. So my friend will tell me she wants to end her life, I won’t take her to the hospital unless she has a certain tone in her voice and has displayed other signs. Although if you’re not sure it’s best to visit the emergency room. You’ll understand after a while.

4 I try to document as much as possible, it makes for great reading down the road and I’ve noticed a pattern in the behaviour. This really helps in preparing things for when I need to take her to the hospital I’ve got it down to a science as to what date she’ll be admitted based on how she talks and what she does.

5 I’ve learned that it’s not exactly the way it’s written in the books, some things are correct for my friend but most are not.

6 This may sound funny but enjoy the experience and find the good things in it. I always turn the TV off, grab a cup of tea, give my full undivided attention and prepare for a very interesting story when she calls me by my “code name”. You’ll never find this stuff anywhere but in her mind.

7 Trust is a big thing. They need to know they can trust you, so if they tell you not to say anything to anyone then don’t! Unless it has to do with hurting someone

As already stated, there are different types of schizophrenia and although I’m no doctor I believe there are different degrees too. So some end up in the hospital for a few weeks and others for a few months, with or without their meds.

To put it into as few words as possible. If you asked me what I thought it is like for my friend when she is in full blow psychosis? I would say it's like dreaming while you're awake. So imagin the dream you had last night happened right now and you acted and talked as if it was reality, and when you say I can't remember this part or that part of the dream, that becomes part of the process...
    Three of my favourite:

originally posted by "paulb1320"

(so tight that my hands went numb in minutes and a have bruises, infact my hands are still numb, 2 hours later)

I'm going to find each and every one of your little internet friends!

I now feel like I went into shock. I started breathing heavily and lost my sense of what was going on.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Dilmah

6 This may sound funny but enjoy the experience and find the good things in it. I always turn the TV off, grab a cup of tea, give my full undivided attention and prepare for a very interesting story when she calls me by my “code name”. You’ll never find this stuff anywhere but in her mind.

To put it into as few words as possible. If you asked me what I thought it is like for my friend when she is in full blow psychosis? I would say it's like dreaming while you're awake. So imagin the dream you had last night happened right now and you acted and talked as if it was reality, and when you say I can't remember this part or that part of the dream, that becomes part of the process...
    That's super interesting. And props to you for making yourself available in such an altruistic way. They are lucky to have you.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride

Yah the person in question here frequently says she has troubles telling the difference between dreams and reality and frequently can't remember if something she has said or done was in a dream or in wakefulness.

Thanks for all the information everyone

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by static.b
    @legendboy, yeahyeah
    Right.. because all Schizophrenic's do drugs

Here's some stories from schizophrenics that's might help you understand.
    http://schizophreniadiaries.com/schizophrenic-stories/
    You misunderstand. Doing what I said will give you drug induced psychosis. So if someone really wanted to know what it was like, that's the way.

2 You’ll want to watch “A beautiful mind” watch it once now and watch it again after you’ve been exposed to the person for a year or so, you’ll see it in a whole new light.

or don't, unfortunately a beautiful mind is a gross dramatic exaggeration that is only loosely based on reality. Schizophrenics don't see people like they portray in the movie.

I had a conversation with one of my profs who actually worked with one of John Nash's friends and apparently he was nothing like what they portrayed him as in the movie and they made his condition much more extreme than it actually was.

Be very careful when you watch these movies, they are all gross exaggerations that are very loosely based on fact and are just there to entertain you not give you a lesson on exactly what schizophrenic people go through.