Quantcast
Need your thoughts: Ipad 3G + Blackberry or just iphone 4? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: what would you go with?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • keep blackberry and use ipad 2 for 3G data

8 32.00%
  • get rid of blackberry, get an iphone 4 and refund ipad 2

8 32.00%
  • get rid of blackberry, get an iphone 4 and return ipad 2 for wifi only model

9 36.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need your thoughts: Ipad 3G + Blackberry or just iphone 4?

Default Need your thoughts: Ipad 3G + Blackberry or just iphone 4?

Trying to figure out how I should handle my data when im out. Right now i have a 3G blackberry but it sucks ass and Ive had it with web browsing on blackberries, i want no part to do with it anymore so im gonna get either an iphone 4 and use that or use my ipad 2.

Right now I have a 3G ipad 2. Im on Fido but they dont offer 3G for ipad so they said call rogers. I called rogers and its $35 activation fee, $10 for the sim and $30/month can get me 1Gb data a month. $45 gets 2Gb and $65 gets 5GB.

First off which do you think would be more ideal?

1) Keep my blackbery but only use it for email and as a phone and cancel the $10...500MB plan I have on it now. And pay the $30 a month on rogers and use ipad 2 for web stuff. Cons is i wont have web when im out unless i have my ipad 2 with me, so ill have to bring it with me everywhere or at least keep it in the car. Pros is that i have a much larger screen and easier to type and use for longer periods of time. Also it wont run down my phone battery cause its a seperate device.

2) Sell the blackberry and get an iphone 4. Use the iphone 4 for everything and refund the ipad 2 at future shop. I could downgrade to the wifi only but i think the ipad is kind of pointless if you dont get 3G. More future proof IMO, always nice to have for the future in case you say the data plans drop and/or you want to add it.

Thoughts?

If I went with a data plan on ipad 2, would 1Gb be enough?
    Last edited by maxwinedog; 04-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.

If it was me Id go iphone 4 PLUS ipad 2 3G if you can afford it, but it will be expensive cause you will be paying for essentially 2 data plans. Sell off your blackberry cause if youre planning on carrying a 3G ipad 2 with you all the time, theres no benefit to having a blackberry (except for the times when you dont have the ipad 2 with you).

But if you dont want to shell out for an iphone 4, just stick with your blackberry, use it for email only and use your ipad 2 for all your web stuff. Frankly I would do this because I agree web browsing on a blackberry does blow, even on the torch its nothing great. Once you web browse on an apple product its pretty darn tough to go back to a blackberry.

But I do agree with you that ipad is kind of pointless to get or underused if you get wifi only. Most people who buy an ipad plan will or plan to be carrying it around with them during the days and with 3G you dont have to rely on finding a wifi connection to connect to. You are always connected no matter when and where you are, even in the car. With the wifi only, i just feel youre really limited.

its like having a wifi only iphone or blackberry. Just doesnt make sense.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 04-15-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

iphone 4 hotspot or mywi + ipad wifi =

Originally posted by tha_bandit
    iphone 4 hotspot or mywi + ipad wifi =
    But OP said he doesnt want a wifi only ipad2.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

Anymore advice? Come on beyond wheres all the tech gurus?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

i think the only real reason to keep BB is if you're mad about the BBM

maybe upgrade to another bb device? i.e. torch or 9780? i think monacco is coming soon if you can wait.

why is android not an option?

i have the ipad2 + a bold 9780. pretty much carry the ipad 2 around for shits and giggles, its a lot of money having both, but if you like the bigger screen and dont mind paying paying monthly... why not have both

Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
    i have the ipad2 + a bold 9780. pretty much carry the ipad 2 around for shits and giggles, its a lot of money having both, but if you like the bigger screen and dont mind paying paying monthly... why not have both
    So do you you still have a data plan on your bold? Or do you just use it strictly for email and do all the browsing on ipad2?

get on rogers, get a data sharing plan for $10 more per month. then you're set.

My Ride
    is in the works.

Can you not just get a rocket stick from fido and get them to register is to a mico sim and use that for your data?

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

If you can do iPhone and iPad together I recommend that. I have both, and iPad is 3G. Most of the time I use both for different tasks due to each having a different screen size, and way different battery life. Sometimes iPad is much better since the screen is big, plus 10 hour life is awesome. But listening to music, and of course phone function is better off with the iPhone. So do both if you can, it's kinda like having a good pair that can do two different tasks at once.

Originally posted by trieuth
    get on rogers, get a data sharing plan for $10 more per month. then you're set.
    Dont want to give up my fido plan. No way rogers comes close to offering anything close.

Originally posted by rawsensation
    Can you not just get a rocket stick from fido and get them to register is to a mico sim and use that for your data?
    I called fido and they said they dont support the ipad yet, have to do it with rogers.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zephyr
    If you can do iPhone and iPad together I recommend that. I have both, and iPad is 3G. Most of the time I use both for different tasks due to each having a different screen size, and way different battery life. Sometimes iPad is much better since the screen is big, plus 10 hour life is awesome. But listening to music, and of course phone function is better off with the iPhone. So do both if you can, it's kinda like having a good pair that can do two different tasks at once. [/QUOTE

How much do you pay a month for both data plans together?
    Last edited by maxwinedog; 04-18-2011 at 07:30 AM.

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1 3G. The os 4.3 upgrade allows your iPhone to be a wireless hotspot so you don't need to get a separate plan or pay Rogers $10 per device for sharing. If you're used to an iPad you'll find the itty bitty screen on the iPhone really sucks so you will want to keep the iPad. I don't know what kind of blackberry you have but I've been trying out a torch lately and emails are so much better on a blackberry, if you have been using one for years you may not like the iPhone.

The new OS 6.1 for the blackberry is supposed to have wireless hotspot support so you may want to wait and see, just upgrade your fido plan. Or check out a playbook. I haven't yet but it has flash, and for web browsing I find not being able to see flash to be a major pain on an iPad.

Originally posted by smartcar
    I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1 3G. The os 4.3 upgrade allows your iPhone to be a wireless hotspot so you don't need to get a separate plan or pay Rogers $10 per device for sharing. If you're used to an iPad you'll find the itty bitty screen on the iPhone really sucks so you will want to keep the iPad. I don't know what kind of blackberry you have but I've been trying out a torch lately and emails are so much better on a blackberry, if you have been using one for years you may not like the iPhone.

The new OS 6.1 for the blackberry is supposed to have wireless hotspot support so you may want to wait and see, just upgrade your fido plan. Or check out a playbook. I haven't yet but it has flash, and for web browsing I find not being able to see flash to be a major pain on an iPad.
    Ive heard mixed thoughts on iphone 4 emajl compared to blackberry. Why ismt it as good as bb? Lack of notifications i hear? Im guessing its different from ipads emal cause i find ipad email pretty good.

If i switch from bb to iphone 4 the main reason is for web browsing.

Originally posted by maxwinedog

So do you you still have a data plan on your bold? Or do you just use it strictly for email and do all the browsing on ipad2?
    data for both... but since i was on the family plan " i wasnt allowed to do data share" -____- fuck rogers

how would you get email on your BB with your data 500 mb?

you pay 10 bucks for 500mb? Keep that because if you remove that and get only bbm and email on your rogers plan its $15 bucks alone.

Originally posted by GQBalla
    how would you get email on your BB with your data 500 mb?

you pay 10 bucks for 500mb? Keep that because if you remove that and get only bbm and email on your rogers plan its $15 bucks alone.
    Ya right now on fido im paying $25 for email and 500mb data. They said if i wanted email only its $15.

If i keep the ipad 2 and get a data plan ill downgrade on my blackberry to just email only.

Originally posted by maxwinedog

Ive heard mixed thoughts on iphone 4 emajl compared to blackberry. Why ismt it as good as bb? Lack of notifications i hear? Im guessing its different from ipads emal cause i find ipad email pretty good.

If i switch from bb to iphone 4 the main reason is for web browsing.
    Email on an iPhone is exactly the same as an iPad. If you think it's fine you will probably be happy with the iPhone. Blackberry has way better notification if you don't have an exchange account. If you do they are about the same. Text editing is much easier on a blackberry and I can type faster on a real keyboard. But YMMV. -eg if you don't care about typos in your emails the iPhone is just as fast.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by smartcar
    Text editing is much easier on a blackberry and I can type faster on a real keyboard. But YMMV. -eg if you don't care about typos in your emails the iPhone is just as fast.
    lol: http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com

My Ride
    Bicycle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast