Quantcast
AMEX Platinum Cardholders - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: AMEX Platinum Cardholders

Default AMEX Platinum Cardholders

Just a quick question to those who have this card.

Have you taken advantages of all the perks? How is the companion ticket system?

Just looking for people who have experience with using this card and its perks.

With aeroplan increasing flight points, once I hit 300k aeroplan points, I am going to fly somewhere and cancel my aeroplan infinite card.

Thanks!

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Perks are good. Haven't used them all. Companion ticket system is pretty limited (I don't like the airlines). Lounge access on the off chance I'm flying a non Star Alliance carrier.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Take a look at this thread and my post in it.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/326184/go...-credit-cards/
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

I have the Delta Platinum AMEX (US) and I absolutely love it. I have used most of the features and tend to overuse the travel insurance. I get charged a $20 premium for all my flights, but that covers flight and baggage delay ($500). Between 2006-2009 I recovered $4,500 due to always having delayed flights. Recently they paid me the full value of my netbook thanks to purchase protection. It was cheaper for them to pay me back versus going through Dell insurance. Preferred tickets, companion tickets, etc. and all the features are great. I'm looking to move to the Delta Reserve AMEX or the 'Black Card' sometime in the fall to get the lounge access.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

companion tickets are a joke unless you want to buy a full fare unrestricted first class ticket and even then it is only a few airlines that generally do not fly out of YYC. The lounge access is nice for me. The FHR hotel program is good for some but I have yet to use it. I suggest you get both the Amex Aeroplan Plat (50,000 aeroplan pts bonus right now) and get the Amex Plat for one annual fee of $500.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I have the regular gold card, i didn't see the point of getting the platinum when the perks don't compare to what you can get in the states
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Other than the 'snob' factor, I see no advantages for Amex. Other CC companies offer similar if not, better incentives for a lesser annual.

Please inform me otherwise if I'm wrong.

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Originally posted by flipstah
    Other than the 'snob' factor, I see no advantages for Amex. Other CC companies offer similar if not, better incentives for a lesser annual.

Please inform me otherwise if I'm wrong.
    I don't think Amex's hold any snob appeal at all, unless you're referring to a Cent. card.

I think for the basics (points accumulation, travel insurance etc), all the credit cards are similar..but once you get into the extra services, Amex Plat definitely exceeds those other cards. The services are definitely over the top for the average consumer, but if you actually make use of a lot of them - it's worth it. Lounge access is a big one if you aren't status with any airlines (which other credit cards don't give you unless you pay extra, which brings it into a similar annual fee to the Amex Plat), Gold status with SPG, so you can collect points faster & USUALLY get upgraded into a nicer room/suite, and the companion ticket thing (which I haven't personally used, but I know others who have). Amex service just seems to be better too (that's my opinion). I'm missing other perks but it's pretty travel driven.

Originally posted by adam c
    ...when the perks don't compare to what you can get in the states
    So true...they're now waiving members application fees for Global Entry (which is random thing to do but a nice perk)

Amex is pretty useless in Canada, it's real benefit is when you go to the US.

It's the odd exception where you can actually use the Amex card in Canada (nowhere that I shop anyways).

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by 300rwhp
    companion tickets are a joke unless you want to buy a full fare unrestricted first class ticket and even then it is only a few airlines that generally do not fly out of YYC.
    Damn! Over here its any fare rates even sales price on coach. I'm limited to Delta though, which tends to fly most places quite frequently.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by dawerks
    It's the odd exception where you can actually use the Amex card in Canada (nowhere that I shop anyways).
    Never had trouble using my AMEX anywhere here. The only places where I go and can't use it are Wendys and Superstore
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    GTI

I've worked for quite a few companies that didn't take AMEX, I also used AMEX as a kid and noticed quite a few places that didn't take it.

I don't think we took AMEX at Shaw cable.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Amex is pretty good in Asia too, but Canada is VISA land from what I noticed.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I pay my shaw bill with my Amex
    Sig nuked by mod.

Amex works at most places. Usually just smaller stores don't accept it. Succesful about 75% of the time for me.
    Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.