Quantcast
Shaw Extreme internet is now Up to 25 Mbps and 2.5 Mbps upload - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Extreme internet is now Up to 25 Mbps and 2.5 Mbps upload

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

The new plans look solid, but I'm a but confused why the Broadband 100 upload is 10Mbps in June and then drops to 5Mbps in August but remains the same price.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    The new plans look solid, but I'm a but confused why the Broadband 100 upload is 10Mbps in June and then drops to 5Mbps in August but remains the same price.
    Reading fail?

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    It's the opposite actually:
    shaw.ca/newpackages

Broadband 100 is 5Mbps upload in June. Once we upgrade the network in your area for Phase 2, Broadband 100 upload is 10Mbps.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Unlimited lite is an interesting idea on paper. But with that speed, you won't crack 400GB even if you D/L 24x7. So why price it the same as Broadband 50? They should lower the price for grandpa/grandma who don't torrent.
    One of the things we heard in our sessions was that some customers didn't care about speed, they only cared about data and wanted an unlimited option. The Unlimited Lite package offers that.

Realistically speaking, we don't expect many customers to choose that package when Broadband 50 with 400GB is a more compelling offering (in my opinion), but it's available as an option for those who requested it.

Unlimited Lite isn't made for grandma, our regular Lite package is more than enough for that demographic, especially with our new data allowance at 30GB for that offering.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    OT
    but that Asus router looks excellent.
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...0%28ME%29.aspx

Maybe I should upgrade my aging Linksys WRT-610N
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    06 WRX

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...0%28ME%29.aspx

Maybe I should upgrade my aging Linksys WRT-610N
    You can get it down to $115 at NCIX. Might be hard to pricematch because I had to click through shopbot.ca to get it.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...S&promoid=1324

My Ride
    Slow Injected

I am on the student plan right now so I should have extreme internet (previously I just had high speed), but when I did the speed test on their site it shows that my plan is warp and then it shows my actual internet speed is somewhere between lite and high speed

My Ride

OMFG 250 down and 15 up? Do I have to bolt my computer down before plugging into speeds like that? In theory with that connection you could download a DVD faster than you could burn it.

Fucking wicked. Consider me signed up when it launches.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride
    2007 Acura TSX

So if I am on a retention plan that has Extreme, if I want to move to the new plans, do I lose all my retention offers?

My Ride
    '98 Camry

Originally posted by anarchy
    Also, keep in mind the packages aren't finalized, meaning we are still collecting feedback to make any small adjustments (which is why we held our second sessions last night). We're evaluating the feedback as we go and standalone Broadband Internet offerings are an option we're looking at.
    Well, I am hoping you guys come out with some standalone plans. I just cancelled my current (basic) cable promotion and don't plan on getting cable again.

When I had cable the TV was either on TreeHouse for my daughter, or me watching Two and a Half Men reruns because there weren't too many interesting things on TV after 9/10pm.

I can get lots of kids stuff on DVD at the library to make up for the loss of TreeHouse and for me, the only thing I miss by not having cable is sports, which I don't have much time to watch these days anyways...

Originally posted by accordboi_02
    So if I am on a retention plan that has Extreme, if I want to move to the new plans, do I lose all my retention offers?
    I can't say for sure, you'd have to speak to our loyalty department, but my guess is that if you chose one of the new Internet packages, it would be at the rate we have it listed for.

Fire me a PM if you want to talk about account more specifically and I can have someone look into it with you.

Originally posted by Penis McNickels
    Well, I am hoping you guys come out with some standalone plans. I just cancelled my current (basic) cable promotion and don't plan on getting cable again. When I had cable the TV was either on TreeHouse for my daughter, or me watching Two and a Half Men reruns because there weren't too many interesting things on TV after 9/10pm. I can get lots of kids stuff on DVD at the library to make up for the loss of TreeHouse and for me, the only thing I miss by not having cable is sports, which I don't have much time to watch these days anyways...
    We've certainly heard from some of our customers that a standalone plan is something is desired. I'll let you guys know if we have an update on whether we've made any changes.

As for TV, not sure if you're aware but the Personal TV that comes in the Shaw Plan Personalizer (and is included with the new packages) comes with a digital box which gives you access to Shaw On Demand. And in On Demand, there is a free section including kids shows where you get Treehouse episodes for free. Granted, it's not the full collection, but at no extra charge you can go in there and watch Treehouse shows with your kids without having to make the trip to the library.

Just thought you might want to know.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by anarchy

One of the things we heard in our sessions was that some customers didn't care about speed, they only cared about data and wanted an unlimited option. The Unlimited Lite package offers that.
    Yeah but this plan is a fucking scam...

At 1Mbs, by my calculations, if you 100% maxed out the connection 24 hours a day for a month, the maximum you can download is 324GB. That's 76GB less than broadband 50 and the speed is agonizing @ 1/50th the speed or 50 TIMES slower.

So is this maybe allowing people to pace themselves or something? With Broadband 50, you could technically hit your max in < day. Still, you'd have to be pretty stupid to sign up for Lite Unlimited.
    Last edited by clem24; 05-27-2011 at 09:55 AM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    06 S2000

I'm on a deal right now where I have a free PVR for 3 years, if I upgraded to the broadband 100, would I get to keep the PVR or would they swap it out for a normal cable box?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by clem24
    Still, you'd have to be pretty stupid to sign up for Lite Unlimited.
    That's my point.

Either bump up the bandwidth or lower the price. You get less than Broadband 50 for the same price.

My Ride
    '03 ep3

Umm, seriously?

What user wouldn't care about speeds but would about bandwidth? The two are practically synonymous.

I would want more choices for a stand alone option as well. It would be nice if the unlimited lite package was bumped up to 7.5Mbps, I agree having an unlimited option at 1Mbps doesn't really make sense.

That's pretty sweet - now I can download without having to worry about being charged. Now I just need more storage, better hit up MemEx for some more 2TB hard drives.

Broadband 50 looks tasty to me.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    a couple S/C'd V8's

When will the Shaw Plan Personalizer on the size be updated with the new plans? "June 2011" I'm guessing not the first but whenever shaw gets the plans finalized?

I can basically get faster internet with a higher cap and the same tv for less money.... Just wondering on channel lineup and/or HD options and what thats gonna add to the bill.

Unlimited Lite does make a tiny bit of sense.

Its for all those people who are absolutely paranoid that they will go over their limit. There are plenty of people with viral trojan laden computers that are acting as 24/7 fileservers unknowingly.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast