Quantcast
Moving to California HELP! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving to California HELP!

My Ride
    1999 Impreza hybrid CLOSED DECK!

Default Moving to California HELP!

I'm moving to California, I have a Subaru 1999 RS-T (stock is N.A. 165 and now i put on a turbo and WRX intercooler) and would like to know if i even have a chance of passing the smog test... I have no cats and its a straight through pipe... will one racing cat do the trick? if not what do i need to do.

any help is appreciated.... also has anyone done this before... also how do i see to get things carb legal? even if i pass the smog test is it true i need everything in the car CARB legal? any loopholes? unexpensive ones...

TIA!!

My Ride
    O.P.P.

I don't think your car would pass. The AirCare in BC is like nothing compared to emissions regulations in CA. You would definitely, in the least, get the emissions level to stock, which probably isn't even good enough for Cali.... It'd be easier to just keep the car reg'd here in AB. When I lived in Vanc. I did the same thing

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Not a chance unless your kit is smog approved. I think the only kit that is smog approved is the Greddy kit.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride

but isn't there a law about how long you can drive a car from outside the country?

common rage i know you know this....

My Ride
    AP1

You have a chance, slip the guy testing you car a $50 spot
    No but seriously, there's really no hope, not with no cats and that sort of thing
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

slipping the guy some money might be the best bet. once they see the IC through the scoop i think you pretty much fail. i heard from some people you get in shit by just having bolt on's like intake, exhaust, header....

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

my friend from calgary that now lives in San fran had 6 months driving under alberta plates and then returned the car to stock and had it smoged/inspected.

There is no way to pass intial inspections with it not being stock or carb approved parts. The intial test is done at the DMV/ governement employee not a gas station loser. Has to comply with regs or it does not pass and they have huge manual as to what is stock on all cars sold in the US.

But the yearly (or what is required for your car) tests, you can bribe gas station flunky. This is the yearly tail pipe test.

But if you get caught by the cops with none carb parts after the intail inspection you can get send back to the DMV, then you are screwed and have to return the car to stock again!
    Last edited by redline; 09-06-2002 at 02:30 PM.

My Ride
    Vorsprung durch Tecknik

Ya you'll probly get cained if you dont have a carb exempt ride in Cali. Cant you just put on the stock exhaust?

My Ride

mmm the thing is so far from stock its not even funny.... maybe i can find some kind donors of stock parts... shit man... a low compression lower horsepower car... bleck...

guess that is the way to go... back to stock... its just going to be a bitch tho... how long can you drive around with canadian plates?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by redline
    6 months driving under alberta plates .

My Ride
    E36 4dr

Originally posted by cocoabrova
    You would definitely, in the least, get the emissions level to stock, which probably isn't even good enough for Cali....:
    if you had to return your car to stock, why not do that when you get to cali, buy some used exhaust pieces out of a US spec Impreza, get certified, then put on the performance stuff again after that.

i have a stock catback exhaust..... and your stock engine too. but i don't think the engine is useable. let me know if you want the catback...

seriously if i were you i would sell the car to someone that knows how to take care of it. buy another car in cali. you are at a point where it is almost impossible to return it back to stock.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

your chances of passing zero. u need to get a cat high performance one at least.....some cars here are equipped with two...i dunno how but i seen it on a few cars...

turbos are easily passed here i heard....just need a few adjustments....and its not easy to bribe someone to give u a pass i can tell u that....even the worst parts of LA they dont take bribes....

My Ride

sigh.... ok thanks guys.... 6 months is plenty of time i guess...

2000impreza i was think maybe just take out the uppipe downpipe, turbo, IC and then sticking on the stock mid pipe and exhaust. Stock air boxes will be hard to find but i think i can... and then drive down and get it inspected... it will be like 100 hp and pig freakin rich... but hopefully the S-AFC will be CARB certified,,, you think i'll get in trouble with guages and an S-AFC guys?
    I;m just thinking if i do that i'll get check engine lights with a reallyy short drive....
    other then that its looks stock...

Contact an owners group and find cheap OEM parts, return the car to normal, and for the initial registration, and then find a sympathetic shop to do the smog tests. You don't have to do smog tests every year.. You have to do them when the car changes owners, and every 5 years or something I believe.

If you're in the SF Bay Area, I know of a couple 'sympathetic' shops.. they aren't too hard to find.

The cams on a certain BMW M3 I know run very hot and wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing smog under normal conditions.

If you want to run Alberta plates, you can run them until you get pulled over. You just have to remember that you are a tourist. I had my Alberta license for the first couple years I lived in San Francisco, without much trouble. In my opinion, the least hassle is to sell the car and pick up something else in the states. There are so many interesting cars available in California that it is worthwhile.. plus the used car market is hosed due to all the financing deals, so you can get a great deal on almost anything. (New or used).

My Ride

i want to avoid selling the car as much as possible... i really like it... and i've put too much work into it to sell... driving around for 2 years is no skin off my back LOL... man that must be sweet... one thing tho... any one know where i can get a 3 inch in out racing cat...

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by HOK
    i want to avoid selling the car as much as possible... i really like it... and i've put too much work into it to sell... driving around for 2 years is no skin off my back LOL... man that must be sweet... one thing tho... any one know where i can get a 3 inch in out racing cat...
    Random Technologies will be close by once you're down there
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride

i afraid that i won't get past the border with that damn exhaust....

My Ride

i afraid that i won't get past the border with that damn exhaust....

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

make sure your exhaust isn't too loud.....they fine u like 100 bucks or more for that....and any CARB legal stickers dont work here either, police dont believe it and usually you have to end up showing papers in court.

the most you have to worry is appearance and sound....make sure ur windows are not illegal tint, no clear side markers. the police here love to pull over people for the small stuff like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast