Quantcast
F150 Lightning - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: F150 Lightning

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

Default F150 Lightning

Just a question:
    As far as I know the Lightnings are only available in automatic. Do you think they will ever be available in manual and also why the hell are they only available in automatic.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Because ford doesn't make a manual tranny that bolts up that engine that can take that kind of power. The next model should have it though.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Default Re: F150 Lightning

Originally posted by hockeybronx
    Just a question:
    As far as I know the Lightnings are only available in automatic. Do you think they will ever be available in manual and also why the hell are they only available in automatic.
    The auto in a lightning is faster than a manual. IF you can shift faster than an automatic that is made for performance i would like to see it.

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    Because ford doesn't make a manual tranny that bolts up that engine that can take that kind of power. The next model should have it though.
    Does ford even make ANY manual gearboxes? Like they couldn't have adapted a T56 or 3550
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by T5_X

Does ford even make ANY manual gearboxes? Like they couldn't have adapted a T56 or 3550
    Rangers and shit come in available manuals..
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Originally posted by ~$eanith~

Rangers and shit come in available manuals..
    Very early rangers used mitusbishi trannies, later use mazda

I stand corrected, they do make a 6 speed that bolts up to the 5.4 and their V10 (same motor just with 2 more cylinders?), this is off their website for the F350 superduty which hasn't had a model refresh like the F150 yet. So the question is can that 6 speed fit into an L and has it been done yet?
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

All I know is the F150 Lightning has the LOUDEST fuel pump I have ever heard! It can drown out the s/c whine!

properly tuned though, an automatic can beat a manual tranny, the tricky part is the launch - getting the torque converter to lock quickly enough to put all the power to the ground. Also since most autos are tuned for comfort, you'll probably need to change the shift pattern if it doesn't come with a performance shift program from the factory (ie no gear overlap or PCM cutoff-short snappy shifts).

But yeah, an automatic looks out of place in a high performance vehicle. Case in point: at work today, a guy parked his Porsche Carrera beside my car. I'm looking out the window drooling at the thing until I leave for lunch and walking by the car I see it has an auto transmission. WTF? It says Porsche! Who buys an automatic Porsche!!! OH the blasphemy.
    Last edited by 1badPT; 01-15-2004 at 03:27 PM.

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

Default Case In Point

Yeah I agree why the hell would you buy a Porsche in automatic. Although I wouldn't buy any car ever in automatic, my family told me I'd hate standard after a while but I don't see that happening any time soon.

The thing is though, the Lightning is a pure performance vehicle, and not many people would choose automatic over standard for such a vehicle.

I've thought about getting one once I start my career but I will definetely wait till they come out in standard.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

you would be suprised how many people will choose an auto over manual for performance. Straight line a properly tuned auto will beat the standard. Standard is good for twisties and things like autocross and such.

The auto's that they use in mercedes are awesome. there is no way that a CLK 500 would be faster if it was a manual.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Default Re: Case In Point

Originally posted by hockeybronx
    Yeah I agree why the hell would you buy a Porsche in automatic. Although I wouldn't buy any car ever in automatic, my family told me I'd hate standard after a while but I don't see that happening any time soon.

The thing is though, the Lightning is a pure performance vehicle, and not many people would choose automatic over standard for such a vehicle.

I've thought about getting one once I start my career but I will definetely wait till they come out in standard.

It will come man...one day you will be loafing thru traffic on your ACT 2600 and you will think to yourself..."Man, I wish i could put it in "D" and let er go..."...Yes driving a manual is a blast, I LOVE it...but you will tire of it man and want an Auto soon enough...even if you keep a "weekend" car or whatever your daily driver will one day be an auto...

Just my opinion...

(slipping into flame suit)
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    '02 Mustang Gt, '90 LX Coupe

I don't think Ford will be offering a manual transmission in the Lightning any time soon - the new F-150's are all automatics too.

I kind of agree with the opinion that it seems a little out of place to only offer the Lightning with an automatic, but on the other hand, I'm not sure that a performance vehicle would really benefit from the 2.5 foot long gear shift that would come with a standard.

-Matthew

Originally posted by Matthew
    I don't think Ford will be offering a manual transmission in the Lightning any time soon - the new F-150's are all automatics too.

I kind of agree with the opinion that it seems a little out of place to only offer the Lightning with an automatic, but on the other hand, I'm not sure that a performance vehicle would really benefit from the 2.5 foot long gear shift that would come with a standard.

-Matthew
    Doesn't seem to hurt the SRT-10 too much