Quantcast
wife's last name when marrying and then kids last names - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How did you do it or you think is right way to do it?

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wife and kids use husbands last name

238 81.51%
  • Wife and kids use hyphenated last name

1 0.34%
  • Wife hyphenates name - kids get husbands name

13 4.45%
  • Wife takes husbands name, kids get hyphenated name

3 1.03%
  • Wife hyphenates or keeps name, kids get wifes name

1 0.34%
  • Wife keep name and kids use dads name

36 12.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: wife's last name when marrying and then kids last names

My Ride
    '15 Taco TRD

Originally posted by wbaxter
    The female needs to change her last name. The woman is the weaker sex and should have zero say in any real matters (except food, household colors, and cleaning,) Yeah I went there, go wank off in front of your computer.

No big deal. Just make sure all you tough guys man up and be the sole income earner too.

Seriously though, I feel that all the men saying the women need to take their last name are selectively traditionalist and using the last name bearing as a fleeting way to conserve what ever power they think they're losing as women gain equality.

That said, I'm a homo and I would take my gf's name because her family name is well known and I have two brothers to take carry on the family name. Although, it would make my initials a venerial disease. Maybe i'll rethink that.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by polarice

Seriously though, I feel that all the men saying the women need to take their last name are selectively traditionalist and using the last name bearing as a fleeting way to conserve what ever power they think they're losing as women gain equality.
    The whole idea of marriage is traditionalist and, in a way, a method of conserving manly power. Notice how the father 'gives away' the bride to the husband? If you're gonna participate in a traditional ceremony like that, then do it traditionally! Otherwise just stay common law...

I don't think I'd marry the lady if she didn't wanna take my last name; common law would work good for me. I do kinda feel bad for the gal I marry taking on a long arse, impossible to pronounce, Polak name like mine though.

My Ride
    growls

My mom kept her name and I took my dads. I don't think we've had any issues, but that being said, my dad died in 2001, so I'm the youngest one I think to carry my dads families name without a hyphen. Being a girl.... Not sure if I would keep my name or not. It's something I'd really have to think through when the time comes.

My Ride
    03 SVTF

I don't mind so much if my wife were to take my name or not.. but please, lets not hyphenate the kids names.. what happens when they grow up and a Mr. A-B marries a Ms. C-D?
    Are their kids now Johnny A-B-C-D? it gets out of hand.

I voted wife and kids gets fathers name. I don't care if it's male oppressing women or not, it just seems right. And yes I am aware that it's because that's the way I grew up. In the end, it doesn't matter whose name you use. It just signifies the union. Strangers do not know whose name it was. What they assume is their issue.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

For all you guys who say that the woman has to take your name because it's "tradition", how do you feel about no sex until after marriage?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by civiclvr
    I don't mind so much if my wife were to take my name or not.. but please, lets not hyphenate the kids names.. what happens when they grow up and a Mr. A-B marries a Ms. C-D?
    Are their kids now Johnny A-B-C-D? it gets out of hand.

Try reading the thread. Last names in Canada are only allowed to have a single hyphen, so your slippery-slope scenario is not only silly, but impossible.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    For all you guys who say that the woman has to take your name because it's "tradition", how do you feel about no sex until after marriage?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
    And for all those saying it's a show of unity... how do you feel about taking HER last name?

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yeah, I didn't think so.
    I was down with that and we were together for 5+ years.

My Ride
    09 XRS

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

And for all those saying it's a show of unity... how do you feel about taking HER last name?
    My BF has mentioned this before in our talks about marriage... He'd rather take/assume my name... To each their own I guess.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My wife and I talked about me taking her name. In the end, she preferred to take mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1990 4runner

I'm for the first option, but in some cases it can be a different matter. When my cousin got married, he took his wife's name. There are 4 girls in her family and 2 boys in his, so there was no one to carry on her family's last name, whereas his brother will keep their name. just a situation where the man took the woman's name and so will their kids.

My Ride
    NC1

Wife keeps her last name.
    Kids take the dad's last name.

Works well and no complications. But I'm neither married or have kids so I guess my input doesn't really matter haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    03 SVTF

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Try reading the thread. Last names in Canada are only allowed to have a single hyphen, so your slippery-slope scenario is not only silly, but impossible.
    my bad
    I didn't read the last few posts on the third page. Didn't realise there were rules in Canada for this very instance. Just found myself agreeing with other posters.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Wife wanted my Son to have her last name. I asked her who made her pregnant me or her Dad. I think i answered her question because he has my last name.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Depends on if the kid's a bastard child or not. My brother had a kid, gave it his girlfriend's last name, and then he found out he had to adopt his own child because there's some legality where his daughter didn't have his last name. So he had to do all the adoption paperwork, then they got married and all the names were the same.

So my neice was born with a different last name than she has now.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

A coworker and his wife decide to mash up their last name and created completely new last names. That's a relatively new idea rather than hyphenating it. Wang-Holder could have been Wolder or Holdang.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4