Quantcast
Bye Bye HKS USA - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bye Bye HKS USA

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Bye Bye HKS USA

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Dammm that sucks!

My Ride
    This and that.

Man they made some good exhausts. If they had dropped their prices, may have been able to stay for a little longer.

My Ride
    S13 / W204

it sucks, but at least HKS japan is still breathing.

My Ride
    ep3

Never owned anything from HKS USA, but was a big fan..Sad to see them go

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

HKS USA is just the North American distribution center for HKS Parts. All the Authorized HKS Dealers are still around, instead of getting our parts from USA, we'll get them from Japan.

This in no way affects the general public.
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

My Ride
    is wild

Originally posted by JZS_147

HKS USA is just the North American distribution center for HKS Parts. All the Authorized HKS Dealers are still around, instead of getting our parts from USA, we'll get them from Japan.

This in no way affects the general public.

So extra cost and time shipping smaller shipments from Japan are in no way going to effect the customer...

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

I buy hks everyday, poor supply & long wait times make it a hard product to sell. People who buy the stuff buy it because they want it, JDM parts always came from Japan anyways. I think HKS will become more exclusive not more expensive.
    Blood for boost

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

Originally posted by m10-power

So extra cost and time shipping smaller shipments from Japan are in no way going to effect the customer...
    No they're not, smart ass.

Why?

HKS USA is also in business to make money. HKS USA has to cover duties, tax, shipping to the USA, and also cover overhead (employees to pay). Then when we import the parts to Canada we pay 6% for a product made in Japan, plus taxes, brokerage, shipping, etc.

So in short, the profit and cost of HKS USA is gone, and same with 1 side of the shipping and taxes.

Shipping times will be roughly the same considering EMS is fairly cheap and parts are here 5-10 business days. If HKS USA was out of stock, parts were on backorder for 6-8 weeks.

How do I know? I'm the Parts Manager and Sales Director for an HKS Pro Dealer.

Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

My Ride
    honda with fart can

Originally posted by fourrings
    I buy hks everyday, poor supply & long wait times make it a hard product to sell.
    Yea I hate (when I used to) walk into a tuner shop and order a part only to be told that it MAY be available in 3 to 4 weeks. I would often settle for what ever was in stock so that I could leave the shop with it that day.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    S14|TB1

didnt they say they were shutting down last year already? or was that another company

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

^^Think you're thinking of ARC.

My Ride
    Discreet

Overnight parts from Japan ?

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

HKS last time raised their prices, I really think that gave them a huge blow. There really isn't anything "innovative" about their products anymore. It seems like these days people can get a comparable product for less, and probably get it in a reasonable amount of time. True they were the pioneer of many things, such as the early turbo kits, but these days many other companies offer it.

I really think it's ignorant to blame "Chinese knock-offs." To me this really seems like a company that really didn't try to adapt to the changing environment. Cars these days are becoming less and less tuner friendly, and those who are made to be tuner friendly, the selection is less and less. We can thank the hybrid revolution for that one. Also all the factors that make owning and using a car more expensive (gas prices) is really not helping. Plus our markets have very demanding customers, why wait 60 days for an item when you can get something of equal value, is in stock and might even be cheaper? A lot of people who work on their cars are on a budget these days. A good majority are not willing to pay HKS prices, and thats just how it is in every industry. There simply isn't enough die hard people that will pay top dollar.

But seriously, back in the day I use to see HKS everywhere. Lately I completely forgot about them, I rarely see any advertisements from them, if there is even any at all. And with consumers having less and less money, and HKS constantly increasing prices, I'm really not surprised. Made in Japan these days to me doesn't merit the expensive price tag anymore. Just look at a lot of consumer goods, made in Korea, made in China, made in Vietnam, etc, a lot of them are good.

I hope HKS Japan makes it through, now they have no hub in North America, getting parts isn't any easier now. Exchange rates are hurting, prices to ship is steadily increasing, and there definitely will be a shortage of goods coming from Japan due to the recent tragic event.

Just my "insider" .02cents. HKS

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

First Greddy/Trust, then ARC and now HKS.....dun dun dun what company will be next.....
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Discreet

Apparently Best Motoring International

http://noriyaro.com/?p=6554

GG JDM Game

My Ride
    something green

HKS USA also didn't sell the full lineup like they do in Japan, so this might not be such a bad thing, maybe they will get the full product list here now.
    The inventory and product support might get better to, as HKS usa didnt seem really know what was going on with product status.
    It might get cheaper, I buy most of my HKS stuff right out of Japan, and its always been cheaper buying it that way.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    I like. :)

Maybe all this will make JDM a little less common/more rare & exclusive like it used to be.