Quantcast
Need your honest feedback - 335i BMW - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need your honest feedback - 335i BMW

Default Need your honest feedback - 335i BMW

...how bad are they

(Elaboration) : I'm looking to purchase an 07/08 335i, but I have heard horror stories about their reliability, parts failing, and warranty committments.

Just wanted to know from all the Bimmer owners what their experience is.

Thanks!

I think they are fun to drive and they look pretty good. However, they do not like Husky 94 octane gas and fuel injectors/pumps fail a lot. They had a recall regarding the fuel pumps and the new updated one is supposed to be much better. BMW gallery is usually pretty good at warranty work and very reasonable to deal with. Anyways, good luck with your new vehicle search.

My Ride
    Bicycle

CPO or buy one with warranty left. You should have read enough HPFP issues up to 2010 and some 2011 model years.

While we are on the topic, stay away from all Audi vehicles with 3.0T engines made in 2010 or 2011 model years (S4, Q5, A6 etc).

Thermostat issues are stranding tons of people and causing doubts on reliability of these engines in the long run.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by Xtrema

While we are on the topic, stay away from all Audi vehicles with 3.0T engines made in 2010 or 2011 model years (S4, Q5, A6 etc).

Thermostat issues are stranding tons of people and causing doubts on reliability of these engines in the long run.
    Arent the pumps and thermostats being replaced with higher quality metal units? (Getting rid of the problem?)

My Ride
    NC1

Beware the exploding sunroof! lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Engine was great when it first came out, press gas -> instant boost -> instant go. Then wastegates and fuel pumps started to fail, so how does BMW solver the issue?

Reflash the ECU and make boost come on slower. I remember when the BMW was new, boost hit hard and full boost came by 1500 as advertised. Now its 2000+ rpm, really fucking annoys me.

Its a totally different car now for the worse. The instantness of the response is not there anymore. Automatic tranny is really good, I would get it over the manual. I've tried the manual and I am not a fan. Very long throws and not as precise, though I guess that is always the case when you are used to an S2000 shifting action.

Otherwise its a great car and its still very fast. I have raced a 6spd V8 S4, in an auto 335xi. It was close but still managed 1 car length.

Now install a GIAC reflash, and things change, DRAMATICALLY! But remember, the more boost you run, the more that fuel pump is gonna let go.

After about 40,000 km moms 335xi has been problem free. Tire sensor is very sensitive so its gone off a few times.

Good thing to know about the Audi's! Thanks Extrema.

..Exploding sunroofs ...Lol *sigh*

Are the fuel pumps/ injector issue a perminant fix once replaced or does the replacement simply reset the clock until the next failure?

The car I'm looking at has about 75K km... Is this car like lots of turboed cars....turbo's good to 100K then

On a side note... this is what the problem is i am juggling.

I want a sports car but don't want to sacrifice the luxury.
    ...its seem the only cars/ brands that offer this well are too expensive. IE porsche.

I found the STI's too plain...A4 S4 not really sporty looking enough.

I like the 335 (maybe get a Dinan reflash).

What are your thoughts on an Evo X. I could get a newer one, and yes I know they are not in the same class, but your thoughts?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Evo X doesn't feel "luxurious" to me at all. Feels pretty cheap to be honest. Great car, but if you don't want to sacrifice luxury, Evo X definately isn't the way to go.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Why would an STi be too plain and an Evo X not? I'm just curious.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I not going to say HPFP is not a problem... but i know a lot of people that have these cars that have never had a problem...

one friend had a 07 335i and he had intake, exhaust, and chipped and had 80km of trouble free use.

But as it has been said in this thread already.... dont own one with out warranty, any of the euro cars.... they all cost an arm and leg to fix.

My Ride
    DA9

Be prepared to change the fuel pump 10 times a year

And how is a s4 not sporty enough?? What do you think the "S" in "S4" stands for
    91 till infinity

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by R-Audi

Arent the pumps and thermostats being replaced with higher quality metal units? (Getting rid of the problem?)
    Pumps wasn't a recall and it only affected 2010 model before Jan 2010 build date. Mine showed up with higher quality metal unit from day 1.

Thermostat is an actual recall on all 3.0T engines regardless of build date. AoA will provide an extra year of warranty to original owner. AoC will only replace the thermostat.

Originally posted by uptown.
    And how is a s4 not sporty enough?? What do you think the "S" in "S4" stands for
    Its understated look isn't everyone's cup of tea.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-02-2011 at 02:00 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Wastegates rattle.

Injectors fail.

Fuel pump fails.

If you are ok with those issues, then you should get one.

The E9X 3 series has lost a lot of the luxury factor IMO.

Auto is a great transmission, but you can get the DCT in the 335is. Plus the 335is comes with the N54 over the N55.

I kinda miss mine.

My Ride
    Ram

great car... easily best car ive ever owned. just expensive to mod and fix if there are problems, havent had anything yet so far. they are pretty good on gas too, its the same if not better than my old rsx

My Ride
    Vorsprung durch Tecknik

Default Re: Need your honest feedback - 335i BMW

Originally posted by psi_klops
    ...how bad are they

(Elaboration) : I'm looking to purchase an 07/08 335i, but I have heard horror stories about their reliability, parts failing, and warranty committments.

Just wanted to know from all the Bimmer owners what their experience is.

Thanks!
    I've owned an E90 335, stupid fast car, however if you like traction don't get it. Moved to Audi for quattro for that reason.

The 335 handles great in the summer, but winter is like an icy death even with snow tires.

Can't really speak to any of the other issues as I had mine in warranty.
    Last edited by Speed_RaSiR; 05-02-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Hey Uptown, I'm not questioning the S4's performance in any respect, just the the body style (sedan) doesn't really ooze sports car to me..and an S5 is out of my league.

To Twin Cam, i think the interior of an evo is slightly better finished than an STI, but not by much ...just a few more buttons and leather/suede etc.

*sigh* why isn't there a car with Honda like reliability and Ferrari like performance with a Kia like price

I used to drive an E90 335i and it was a fantastic car to blast around the city with. It even gets reasonable fuel economy in the city. I had an 08 and the power comes on rather quickly. That said I had to have the turbo replaced (JB3), and the driver seat started to rip, but it was replaced on warranty. Also the clock was never right, other than all of that it is a pretty fun car. I would try to find a certified preowned.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by psi_klops
    Hey Uptown, I'm not questioning the S4's performance in any respect, just the the body style (sedan) doesn't really ooze sports car to me..and an S5 is out of my league.

how is the S5 out of your league ? btw the 335, S4 and s5 are all a couple grand of each other?

My Ride
    bmw m3

I drove the 335i all winter no issues.
    I was debating doing the flash in my car but dont see the need to just did the bmw performance exhaust instead to give it a different sound.
    I love the look of the 335is so nice. Driven the s5 its nice but revs
    high on the highway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast