Quantcast
Delivery guy creates website to out bad tippers... - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Delivery guy creates website to out bad tippers...

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    any time I go to California I get AMAZING service at every restaurant I go to.
    Cali is one of the few states that still has to pay tippable service industry staff the minimum wage, around $8/hr. Most other states can pay their staff about $4/hr and let them make up the difference in tips. If the tips don't cut it, the employer has to "top up" the employee's annual earnings to bump them up to minimum wage.

Originally posted by max_boost
    haha yes I agree. Don't want to pull the race card but a lot of the restaurants I went to in LA area had Mexican table staff and the attention was spot on. Take a sip of water, immediately refilled. Done with a plate, immediately taken away etc. It was awesome.
    Messicans is awesome, nothing in the USA would get done without them.

haha yes I agree. Don't want to pull the race card but a lot of the restaurants I went to in LA area had Mexican table staff and the attention was spot on. Take a sip of water, immediately refilled. Done with a plate, immediately taken away etc. It was awesome.

Yes in China you do NOT tip. It's part of their job. I had to ask even when I went to some of the nicer restaurants and hotels. The girl could have easily said yes but she said no, they don't accept tips.
    Haha well I was speaking about the non-mexicans , but yes, the mexicans work ethic is INSANE. I've never seen such hard working people!

Was funny in China when I got out of the cab the guy was driving after me yelling out his window to give me my change and I told him to keep it and he kept saying "NO NO NO NO NO NO!" waving money at me. I ended up stopping and taking half of it and tossed the rest in his passenger window and he kept shaking his head and saying "no!!" but I just went back into my hotel. I could tell he was grateful but it was just funny seeing that he could have just driven away and thought "stupid white people..."
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

X3 for California service. Never had better, more consistent, restaurant or retail service in my life. It was all Mexicans at the outlet malls and they were some of the most helpful employee's I've dealt with. No Mexicans at the restaurants I happened to go to but service was top notch regardless of who was helping me.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    I could tell he was grateful but it was just funny seeing that he could have just driven away and thought "stupid white people..."
    Dude that's because we are stupid for tipping anything. I tip for things that are expected because that's North American culture. I'll never agree with it though. It follows no logic at all and therefore fucking stupid.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by SilverGS

You contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. You didn't intentionally give bad service but then go on to say the other 9/10 tables would get more of your attention. So the person you considered a bad tipper has now gotten sub par service and probably even more pissed and will give even less.

I also was a server and a restaurant manager. Not saying it couldn't happen but you would have to have some pretty shitty ass service to have a $1000-$1500 table give you $0 Tip. I have never ever seen that ever. The vast majority of the time it is 10%+ generally closer to 20%. Sorry if I don't feel sorry for you when you have to tip out $30-$45 on your $150-$200 tip.

It is not the customers job to guarantee coverage of the tip out that the restaurant has setup. Do a good job and you will always come out on top. I never had a server lose money after tipping out the kitchen even on a bad night. So to say that is the reason for an automatic 18% gratuity is absolute BS.

You are right there are some people that may underpay and there are people who overpay. The balance generally works out. In my experience the good servers rarely get completely screwed if ever. Very few people will tell you if you didn't do a good job and some people just have high expectations but in the long run a good server will end up on top with no problems.

I don't think anyone would have any issues with a suggested tip amount. Even a 15% tip = $$$ this amount so everyone isn't always whipping out a cell phone calc but I agree a tip should always be voluntary.

Some of the worst service I have gotten are from the fancy places with auto-gratuity where I have to get up to find a couple servers chatting it up behind a wall to get one of them to even fill a glass of water.
    I did not contradict myself. I never once said the no tip table would have had sub par service. But for the other 9 I would be focusing more of my attention. That does not mean by any means I am giving shitty service to that one table.

Also I was not asking for fucking sympathy when I explained about the automatic gratuity. You should go back and re-read my post. It was in response to someone asking why it would even be added.

In the restaurant where I worked adding the gratuity was a personal choice of the server (for large parties) I almost never added the gratuity because I found I got tipped more without it.

Next time you reply to one of my posts do me a favor and understand what I'm saying before you make yourself look like more of an ass.
    BOOOOOya!!!

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

What a douchebag. If I'm paying $13 for a fucking hamburger, I don't want to pay the waitress' wages too. Or $30 for a pizza. Bring the prices down to something reasonable and maybe I'll add extra for great service but you don't get things for doing your job.....I certainly don't. I've tipped twice in the last few years, the last time I actually pulled the server aside and told him how outstanding he was....and when I said that, the guy next to me piped up and agreed that he was awesome. I think that's worth more than $3 in their pocket.

And Asians are the worst, I used to go to Fat Kee once a week for a year and one day they followed me to the front door asking me if I was going to leave a tip. WTF? That was last year, I haven't been back there since. Be grateful you're getting $6.50 for a plate of rice, Jesus.

Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

I find myself going to the club with a bunch of toonies just for that scenario.

$2 to the cover charge girl
    $2 to the coat check girl
    $2 to the bathroom guy

what the fuck these people actually expect a tip from me?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by know1edge

It's a pretty tough job to sit behind a kiosk and put cover charges in a till Maybe we should all be tipping cashiers at walmart too?

Originally posted by Mar
    I've tipped twice in the last few years
    Wow that's a bit extreme. As much as I disagree with the whole western tipping system and how every service worker feels entitled to a 20% tip, the only reason why I tip when eating out is because I usually go out with other people and dont want to look like a complete cheap ass lol.

Non-Starbucks coffee guy here

I don't pine for tips, but if you've gone out of your way to make my time with you shitty (a super-complicated coffee order, for instance), I'd appreciate you dropping your 35 cents of change in the tip jar. Sadly, this typically isn't the case — usually the more steps in the coffee order, the less I will get in a tip. But that's OK, I guess.

Here's the thing: if you're a customer that doesn't bother to tip, I'll treat you with respect and typical kindness. If you tip, I'll go out of my way to remember your name, regular order (if you have one) and ensure you're comfortable. I'm a coffee guy, not a waiter, so I don't really expect tips.

I'm an above-average tipper, though. My barber charges $15 for a cut, but I give him a $20. He remembers what I like, ensures I'm comfortable and generally goes out of his way to be extra awesome. I typically tip 20%+ for awesome service at a restaurant; average service on a slow night will only earn a 15% tip, maximum. Not bragging or anything, but having worked a low-paying service job, I understand the value of tips.

To all those people saying "if you don't like working for minimum wage, find another job" — if enough people follow your advice, you'll get shitty service everywhere. People who provide great service are more valuable. On the plus side, you won't feel compelled to tip.

tl;dr: If you like being treated pretty well, don't bother tipping. If you like being treated like a VIP, tip. I don't get paid enough to treat everyone that well.
    Last edited by nich148_9; 05-03-2011 at 07:58 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by nobb

Wow that's a bit extreme. As much as I disagree with the whole western tipping system and how every service worker feels entitled to a 20% tip, the only reason why I tip when eating out is because I usually go out with other people and dont want to look like a complete cheap ass lol.
    My friends bitch at me every time we go out which is at least once a week. I guarantee you if people stopped tipping, restaurants would start paying more. They're able to cut back on wages because they know the tipping revenue will be there. They're relying on YOU to pay their staff instead of them so basically you're putting money in the pockets of the owners, not the employees.

If someone waits 4 tables an hour and gets a $5 tip at each table, they're making freaking $20 an hour above their wage. No thank you.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    NC1

Money talks. The more money you give someone, the more they like you. True story. Just the way it is.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by nich148_9
    Non-Starbucks coffee guy here

I don't pine for tips, but if you've gone out of your way to make my time with you shitty (a super-complicated coffee order, for instance), I'd appreciate you dropping your 35 cents of change in the tip jar. Sadly, this typically isn't the case — usually the more steps in the coffee order, the less I will get in a tip. But that's OK, I guess.

Here's the thing: if you're a customer that doesn't bother to tip, I'll treat you with respect and typical kindness. If you tip, I'll go out of my way to remember your name, regular order (if you have one) and ensure you're comfortable. I'm a coffee guy, not a waiter, so I don't really expect tips.

I'm an above-average tipper, though. My barber charges $15 for a cut, but I give him a $20. He remembers what I like, ensures I'm comfortable and generally goes out of his way to be extra awesome.

tl;dr: If you like being treated pretty well, don't bother tipping. If you like being treated like a VIP, tip. I don't get paid enough to treat everyone that well.
    Your franchise's owner already expects you to do that so it's not like it's anything extra. If your boss or their associates came in, I bet you give them the VIP treatment, right? Yes, because that's what they expect and you want to show them you're treating customers like that. Which you're not. I'm a business owner, if I found out any of my employees were just doing whatever they had to and not making any attempt at making my clients feel good about spending their money here, they can find a job elsewhere.

*- I didn't necessarily mean you in particular to pick on you, I just say you generically to mean an average person in your situation. From my experiences anyway.

When I get good service, I reward the business, not the individual. I keep returning even if they're more expensive or out of the way, I give them my loyalty. Which would you rather have......$5 extra or a return customer every week? The business doing better in turn rewards the employee with job security and possibly better pay in the long run.

As a result, there is a Vietnamese restaurant in Calgary that's far out of my way and I've been going there every weekend for 5 years. I've spent a lot of money there.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Mar

As a result, there is a Vietnamese restaurant in Calgary that's far out of my way and I've been going there every weekend for 5 years. I've spent a lot of money there.
    Just wondering which restaurant this is and if you tip them or not lol
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I find myself going to the club with a bunch of toonies just for that scenario.

$2 to the cover charge girl
    Originally posted by know1edge
    Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    It's a pretty tough job to sit behind a kiosk and put cover charges in a till Maybe we should all be tipping cashiers at walmart too?
    I usually tip the cover charge girl a lot, sometimes bouncers too. As a result I never wait in line at the clubs I frequent, get in right away, regardless of how packed it is. Well worth it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by Mar
    Your franchise's owner already expects you to do that so it's not like it's anything extra. If your boss or their associates came in, I bet you give them the VIP treatment, right? Yes, because that's what they expect and you want to show them you're treating customers like that. Which you're not. I'm a business owner, if I found out any of my employees were just doing whatever they had to and not making any attempt at making my clients feel good about spending their money here, they can find a job elsewhere.

*- I didn't necessarily mean you in particular to pick on you, I just say you generically to mean an average person in your situation. From my experiences anyway.

When I get good service, I reward the business, not the individual. I keep returning even if they're more expensive or out of the way, I give them my loyalty. Which would you rather have......$5 extra or a return customer every week? The business doing better in turn rewards the employee with job security and possibly better pay in the long run.

Non-Starbucks. Not a franchise. Little independent shop. And, no, I don't give my boss the VIP treatment. We have a really snarky relationship because we both have the same dry sense of humour, which I really can't use on customers.

Personally, between a non-tipping return customer and a one-time $5 tipper, I'd probably rather the latter. My boss would probably prefer the former. That said, most people that pass through are pretty good tippers, and a return customer might be tempted to tip if I remember their order, etc.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Mar

My friends bitch at me every time we go out which is at least once a week.
    I'm surprised you cheap pieces of crap even have friends. It's weird, we had this thread when the economy was booming, and non-tippers were the minority and got called out.

Now suddenly everyone is justifying their shitty behavior.

I usually tip the cover charge girl a lot, sometimes bouncers too. As a result I never wait in line at the clubs I frequent, get in right away, regardless of how packed it is. Well worth it.
    Haha, drinks too. I don't pay for doubles. After a few good tips, you get served first and they start doing free-pour-and-look-the-other-way.

If any of you non-tippers go to Vegas, try discreetly tipping the front desk person a $20 while they are looking up your room at check-in. It'll probably change your philosophy.

BTW, tipping 10% is considered an insult in north america. Understand that you are probably hated wherever you go, no one will want to help you, and you've probably eaten someone's pubes at some point.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by googe

I'm surprised you cheap pieces of crap even have friends. It's weird, we had this thread when the economy was booming, and non-tippers were the minority and got called out.

Now suddenly everyone is justifying their shitty behavior.

Haha, drinks too. I don't pay for doubles. After a few good tips, you get served first and they start doing free-pour-and-look-the-other-way.

If any of you non-tippers go to Vegas, try discreetly tipping the front desk person a $20 while they are looking up your room at check-in. It'll probably change your philosophy.

BTW, tipping 10% is considered an insult in north america. Understand that you are probably hated wherever you go, no one will want to help you, and you've probably eaten someone's pubes at some point.
    Do you think you're part of the solution.........or part of the problem?

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by A790
    Here's a thought: get a real fucking job so you can be the guy ordering out.

I tip my delivery guy $3 for any order under $30, and $5 for any order under $50, etc. etc. If that's not enough you can pound sand.

Now that's hilarious, because:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/120084/to...esson-tipping/

Originally posted by A790
    Well everyone, since tipping seems to be in debate regarding specific situations, I thought I would go over it in general. Basically, there is only one general rule:

Unless your food, service, and experience sucked... DO NOT BE A CHEAP ASS

Am I a bit biased? Sure, working in a family owned restaurant can do that. Is there merit to what I'm saying? Absolutely - if you are a lousey tipper, and you get lousey service... two and two go together.

Let's get down to business.

1. Tipping for brunch/lunch.
    Your server does not expect the same level of tip for a brunch/lunch as they would for dinner service. That doesn't mean that a low-tip is a good thing. This is especially true if you ever expect to go there again. Trust me, your service WILL be top-notch each and every time you go if you tip fairly. I'm not talking a huge tip, but a fair one (typically 12-16% of the total bill, including GST).

I read one guy say something about tipping 10% of the GST. Do me a favour and never, ever even dream about coming to my restaurant if that's how you plan to tip.

Your server makes minimum wage, and works a (at times) difficult job serving people. People are not easy to please.

For lunch/brunch, if your bill was $30, a $4-$6 would be spot on. For a $60 bill, $8-$10 would be just skippy. If you want to tip more, go for it... your server will remember you.

2. Tipping for dinner.
    Dinner is where it's at. Your server probably budgets on a 14%-20% tip on your bill. If your evening was pleasant, and you enjoyed yourself, what's wrong with tipping 20%? I do all the time. Your server has to tip out the bar-tender and kitchen out of their tips, so they're not actually taking home all that money. I'll break it down a bit later.

One thing to mention is that if your food sucks, but your service was good, still leave AT LEAST a 10% tip. The server can't control how the kitchen sends out food. Trust me, if they could, they would. As well, your server can't control the wait time. If you have to wait a while, don't take all of your frustration out on the server. This is especially true if your server has come and talked to you about what has been happening, and kept the service top-notch while you were waiting. If they just avoid you, then they probably deserve a crappy tip.

For the evening, you should tip 14%-20% including GST and alcohol. If your meal was $60, a tip of $9-$12 would be spot on. If you want to tip more, go for it. Your server will appreciate it, and if they serve you again, you can bet it will be top-notch.

One thing to note is that if you make the server run around like a dog when they've got nine or ten other tables, the tip should reflect that.

3. Buffets.
    This one is pretty short, but typically for a buffet I always tip 12% or so. There is still plenty of work that goes into a buffet, so don't be cheap.

Where does that tip go?
    Let's say you just left a nice place (Jacqueline Suzanne's, or Sugo for example) and you just tipped your server $15. Of that $15, how much will they get to keep? Probably about... $11 or so.

Typically, 1% of the servers ringout goes to the kitchen. 10% of their tips get split between the bartender/bus staff, but sometimes it's actuall 10% to each.

This means that if your server was tipped $200, and their ringout (total sales) was $1,500, their tips were probably broken down like this:

$20 to the bartender.
    $20 to the bussing/hosting staff.
    $15 to the kitchen.
    $145 to themselves.

That is assuming they didn't make any misorders. Typically they have to pay for a portion of any mistakes.

As well, most places charge the servers $2 a shift as a "Beverage Charge".

So...
    Your server wants you to have a good time. Assuming that you've gone to a nice place (not Moxies, Rickis, etc.), the service will probably be a bit on the personal side and you'll see some personality there.

The biggest thing in keeping your brunch/lunch/dinner/whatever enjoyable is communication. If something is bugging you, tell them. Don't be rude about it, just kindly let them know. If you're not happy, your server would love to change that. Trust me, they want you to have a good time for more than one reason.

I've met tons of people through the restaurant, and some of them are good friends of mine today. Getting a good tip isn't everything, and neither is getting a bad tip. The tips are a big plus, and usually are higher than the minimum wage a server gets paid. I enjoy serving because of its flexibility, and because of its interactivity. I love making peoples evening more enjoyable, especially when it's a birthday or anniversary etc.

If service was memorable, giving a fair tip lets them know to keep doing what they're doing.

To Recap.
    1) Always tip 12%-20% of your total bill, including GST and alcohol. The only exception is if the food was bad, or if the service was bad. If the food was bad, a 10% tells them that. If the service was bad, use your discretion... but don't be a dick about it.

2) Your service reflects your attitude and your tip. If you are a happy guy, and leave a fair tip, the next time you come in you can expect good service. If you are a dick and leave a bad tip... well, don't expect the best service as they probably won't be looking forward to serving you.

3) Just because you went to a buffet doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. Don't be cheap.

4) A person who is nice to you but mean to their waiter is not a nice person. Seriously.

5) Communicate with the server whatever's on your mind, and your evening will be much more enjoyable.

Most importantly...

6) Use your discretion. If the evening was a total write off, the food sucked, the service sucked... leaving no tip tells them that they mucked up. This goes hand in hand with communication. However, if you're just in a bad mood don't take it out on them. Common sense...

That's all I have to say about that. I've got a million and one stories from my restaurant...

haha, my post from 5 years ago:

Originally posted by googe

okay guys, here is how it works. in our society, its fairly well established what types of services a tip is expected. yes, serving is one of them. their employer knew that when they set their wage, they knew that when they took the job, and you knew it when you ate there.

cashier at a grocery store does not get tips. nor does mcdonalds. their employers knew that when they set their wage, they knew that when they took the job, and you knew that when you shopped/ate there.

dont want to tip? eat somewhere else. think you should be earning tips? work a job that makes tips. its simple.

that being said, any restaurant owner understands the economics of tipping and factors that into their bottom line. the less people tip, the more food prices go up. the money has to come from somewhere. if profits slide, business owners arent going to just take it in the ass. theyre going to lower the cost of overhead (use shitty quality food), or increase the costs.

so basically, the percentage of you lowlifes that give 0 tip because "someone else pays their wage" are covered by the rest of canadians that have a bit of decency and understand etiquette. so when I eat out, part of the cost of my meal in a sense is to cover part of your meal. i dont really have a problem with that, but feel free to step up to the rest of society at any time

Originally posted by Mar
    [B]What a douchebag. If I'm paying $13 for a fucking hamburger, I don't want to pay the waitress' wages too. Or $30 for a pizza. Bring the prices down to something reasonable and maybe I'll add extra for great service but you don't get things for doing your job.....I certainly don't. I've tipped twice in the last few years, the last time I actually pulled the server aside and told him how outstanding he was....and when I said that, the guy next to me piped up and agreed that he was awesome. I think that's worth more than $3 in their pocket.

And Asians are the worst, I used to go to Fat Kee once a week for a year and one day they followed me to the front door asking me if I was going to leave a tip. WTF? That was last year, I haven't been back there since. Be grateful you're getting $6.50 for a plate of rice, Jesus.
    Wow... Like fair enough and all but wtf do you not understand the dynamics of running a business? Ya, food is a huge markup but Jesus Christ dude profit is the name of the game. If you can't deal with that cook your own rice at home.

I always tip good since I eat out a lot. I think that most people on here make a lot of $$$ so either you get what I'm saying or you're just a cheapo on the grind. Even tho I'm not a baller by any means 15-20$ for a meal isn't gonna have me losing sleep. I eat a lot of Viet food at many different places several times a week and even tho pho and salad rolls comes out to 12-14$ depending where I go I have no problem leaving 18-20$, those people work hard too and have to put up with all kinds of fussy cheapskates, me I never complain unless something is horribly wrong and you should see how fast I get a seat and my food.

Giving the doorman/coat check girl 20-30$ at a club is probably the smartest thing you can do these days and if 20$ affects your life then you shouldn't be going out IMO. If you're going to a club not prepared to drop a couple hun anyways you might as well stay the fuck home.

But I do agree, that asking for a tip is bullshit and I will '86 any place where the wait staff complains about my tipping. Was at a Viet place one time, came to like 11$, gave her $15 and she flat out bitched about it. Never been back, never going to.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 05-04-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast