Quantcast
The Wax Shop Review [$59.00 Dealathon Coupon] - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wax Shop Review [$59.00 Dealathon Coupon]

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Default The Wax Shop Review [$59.00 Dealathon Coupon]

I was the first one to use this coupon in all of Calgary, since I booked my appointment at 9:00 AM this morning. One thing I will note is that the people there are very nice. I dealt with Jason and everyone there is very accommodating. They are still setting up their shop, so it might be hard to find them since they don't have a sign yet (as of today). I found them though.

I brought the car in with a clean exterior and interior dash since my car is always clean. I mainly wanted my scuffs buffed out and get an extra shine for the exterior and a shinier interior. Unfortunately, my interior was slightly dirtier after the detail in certain areas.

Now, this is a $59.00 deal so the review will be based on that. And really, that is exactly what you are getting. Is it a good deal? Yeah, but the slight problem I have is that the things that are mentioned in the coupon that value up to $300 was not done to my car so you aren't saving 80% off. You're getting a detail that is a good deal for $59, that is all.

Here are the things that they include on the coupon, but I did not receive, appeared to not be touched at all, or not complete (in BOLD):

EXTERIOR – INCLUDES HAND WASH CLEANING OF ALL CORNERS & CREVICES

* Steam Clean Tires & Wheels
    * Remove All Road Tar, Pitch, & Sap
    * Machine Polish Finish Removing Scuffs, Scratches, & Oxidation
    * Hand Wax To Protect Finish & Enrich Gloss With 100% Carnuba Wax
    * Dress All Exterior Rubber
    * Clean Chrome & Glass
    * Wipe Out Door Jambs

INTERIOR – INCLUDES A HOT SHAMPOO ON ALL INTERIOR FABRICS & UPHOLSTERY

* Shampoo All Interior Fabric And Upholstery, Seats, Carpets, And Mats
    * Clean Dash And Door Panels Blowing All The Dust Out Of The Seams
    * Clean And Dress All Vinyl And Leather
    * Clean Interior Windows And Vacuum Trunk

As you can see, a lot seems to have been left out. Again, the only reason I am not complaining is $59 was still a great deal for the power polish because the scuffs I wanted out was taken out. Now whether or not it was the correct process that Renee/Chatalaine Auto Spa would have done is unknown to me.

Here are some pictures for my review:

The marks on the pedals are from me, but on the carpeting, they did a decent job since it was encrusted from months of Winter driving. I'd say 90% clean. Those brown spots could have been taken care of though.

Unfortunately, the person doing the detailing left a a dirty hand print on my seat. I looked at my seats further and I'm not sure they were even shampooed. Dust spots still on them, etc.

All the vinyl and plastic on my car was not "dressed", just wiped down. As you can see here, there is still dirt in my speaker holes and dirt from entering/leaving the vehicle that was there before the detailing started. None of my plastic dash pieces or side doors were shiny.

Some crevices or hard to reach places are still dirty.

All over my car, there is little bits of sap. This was not taken care of, as the sap is still in various places of the car.

Rubber air dam is not wiped or dressed with a rubber protectant.

Doesn't look bad far away, and the three main scuffs/scratches I wanted to be taken out was done.

This water mark was not there before; I could see various bits of this all over the interior of the car.

This looks clean, but it was actually cleaner before. There is water marks on the entire dash, and it looks really dry. Before, it looked a bit shinier due to a protective layer I put on it. This looked like it was wiped down with soapy water and left to dry.

Dust in between cracks of seats, and all over seatbelt area. Not sure if the seats were shampooed to be honest.

Crap, this picture is a bit blurry, but the blurry part is the rubber that seals my rear window. I'm not completely sure but it seems like through wiping or power polishing, the guy might have rubbed against it and cause it to loosen up a bit. There is bits of sand and whatnot in the gap (top left area near silver trunk). I hope that overtime, it does not rip off.

Under door jambs.

Bits of sand and stuff in window lining on both sides of car, which was not there before.

Nothing was done regarding any air vents being blown out.

I don't know what it is, but it is some oil of some sort near my passenger seatbelt. Gross. This was not there before.

Me wiping this oil on the sheet after touching it.

I decided to get an engine bay clean while they were doing the detail. $30.00. It was so-so, definitely not perfect. As you can see, there is still gravel and rocks on certain areas and some hoses are still dirty. Majority of the engine bay is clean.

One last thing.. I can't take a valid picture of it, but my inner windshield was not cleaned. There are still some fingerprints there that was there previously and sucker marks from my GPS.

Final Verdict:

All in all, I came with a clean exterior and interior, and came out with an even cleaner exterior, but dirtier interior (in certain areas, since carpets were great). I'll have to spend 30 minutes or so cleaning my interior again and spraying off the sand off the exterior. Also, I'll have to glue the rubber seal on my rear window that loosened up.

I am happy with the exterior, but I also hope that correct methods were used that didn't damage my clear coat. I guess the lesson here is that you cannot expect all detail places to have the same care and attention to detail as Renee and Chatalaine Auto Spa does.

This review is just to let people know what to expect. It is still a good deal for $59.00, and if you want some exterior scratches and whatnot taken out. Interior and engine bay cleaning services need improvement. Tar/sap removal on the exterior needs work too.

I wanted to bring the Z there initially, but based on my detailing experience and closer inspection on the workmanship, I think I would only want Renee to touch my car. I pay extreme attention to detail and I notice every thing. Renee was the only person to ever exceed my expectations. I don't like bringing my car to places where I could do the job 10 times better.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 05-03-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Is Renee still doing details?
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've removed the contact information from your review. Non-sponsors are not allowed to have that information posted here.

If members want to look them up, they can do it themselves.

Thanks for this. My main concern is the rail dust in my clear coat, I'm hoping they can power polish it out. My interior is spotless as my car is brand new so I'll tell them not to bother with it.

My Ride
    NC1

You get what you pay for. j/k

Sweet deal but looks like they couldn't deliver.

I don't know if this place will even be around a year from now.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Hmmm, now I'm worried that they are going to leave me with a dirtier car than when I would drop it off. Did they do a good job getting swirl marks out?

I was debating whether to get this deal or not. I'm glad I didn't.

My Ride
    a couple S/C'd V8's

Originally posted by KRZY403
    I was debating whether to get this deal or not. I'm glad I didn't.
    ditto

My Ride

If you have a spotless interior, maybe just tell them to do the carpets and maybe vacuum for you. Since after months of Winter, you'll be glad to get the shampoo done if you have cruddy carpets.

For the polishing, I think it was more of a quick polish (they said it themselves, since it was only $59.00). I did tell them to pay more attention to the door areas so that area was decent. The other parts of the car was most likely quickly went over so I can still see swirls in some areas (that was there already).

From what I've seen, they did not make the exterior worse by the polish, it was either better or not much changed which was still worth $59. Just be sure to tell them where to pay attention to specifically. I'm just glad my doors don't have minor dings anymore (for now heh).

You do get what you pay for. Let's put it this way. This is a decent opportunity to get that Winter crap on your carpets out (get a better smelling interior), and any scratches and whatnot you've accumulated over the past year.

Oh yeah, keep in mind.. The car is silver, a very forgiving color. Plus, my clearcoat is thick and very easy to work with. Other colors, probably not so much.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Disoblige

For the polishing, I think it was more of a quick polish (they said it themselves, since it was only $59.00).
    That alone makes me never want to go there.

The whole point of those deals, is that you are getting an expensive service, for a big discount, so the companies can get their name around. It's pretty much just advertising for them.

You should have gotten $300 service, regardless of what you paid.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

The whole point of those deals, is that you are getting an expensive service, for a big discount, so the companies can get their name around. It's pretty much just advertising for them.

Word, also with that many defects, and lack of agreed upon services, I would have brought it up, or bring it to deal-a-thon's attention?

I wouldn't have paid $59 for that kind of work at all..

Someone should direct them to this thread just so they know that their work is in the public eye.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Completely agree with this.

Not much of a deal if they exclude services because "it's a deal". That's the whole point...

My Ride

I know what I should have received, because the whole point of Dealathons is so a starting shop can get some business and grow from those "good experiences". I expected $300 service, more so because I decided to book early to beat the "rush", so I wonder what kind of work will result when they are actually busy. Keep in mind, this is from a car that was decently clean from the get-go.

I did not bring it up because my time is not worth the $90 total I've spent and the people that I dealt with was very nice and knew how to offer good customer service. Also, I could easily wipe and protect my interior in 20-30 minutes and what I really wanted was to get rid of the Winter scuffs and dirty carpets (mainly).

It's one of those situations where we all were skeptical about this, but decided to take a chance anyways. If anything, we all knew it was going to happen in a sense heh.

One of the owners knows rage2 and kenny anyways, and the other owner (Jason) might be a Beyond member who rarely goes on here. If they see this thread, I think it might be beneficial to them since they are afterall a starting business and a good starting reputation will bring them far (as it did for Renee and Chatalaine Auto Spa). They have a good location too, just off Memorial onto Barlow.

In the end, I don't feel ripped off (based on the price), but my experience was just satisfactory.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 05-03-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Yo dude, I don't get it, are you trying to justify the $90 you spent?

They didn't do a good job at all, and IMO it's not even worth the $90 you paid let alone the valuation of $300..

My Ride
    STi

Thanks for the detailed review. I think I'll return my voucher now. I don't care so much about the cleaning, as I can do that myself. I mostly wanted to get rid of the swirls and some scratches on my car, but if they couldn't even get rid of the swirls on your silver car, I doubt they'd do a good job on a black car.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

I was looking at this thinking this was a good deal and something I would do for my mother for mothers day. But I think I would rather spend 250-300 and have it done correct the first time.

As someone who worked as a detailer for a few years during university those are some of the first areas you notice as shown above and I wouldn't accept that interior, even for 60 bux.

Thanks for posting that review.

My Ride

Originally posted by Jeremiah
    Yo dude, I don't get it, are you trying to justify the $90 you spent?

They didn't do a good job at all, and IMO it's not even worth the $90 you paid let alone the valuation of $300..
    Nah, not justifying the $90, because the $30 engine bay wash was not worth it at all. It's definitely not worth $300 because I did not receive a lot of the services offered.

However, in the end after 30 minutes of cleaning my interior (making everything look good again), I'm just going to bite it because $90 is not worth my time trying to get something that might be subpar in the end anyways. Anything that they dirtied or messed up, I fixed pretty easily. Lesson learned, review posted, let everyone on Beyond know so they can make an informed decision.

My doors are swirl free and scratch-less, which was a big issue for me to clear.

Originally posted by 7thgenvic

As someone who worked as a detailer for a few years during university those are some of the first areas you notice as shown above and I wouldn't accept that interior, even for 60 bux.
    Yes, attention to detail is important in any business. It is clear in the pictures that this was not the case.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 05-03-2011 at 04:42 PM.

hmm definitely thinking about getting a refund now, but would like to see at least one other review from someone

anybody recommendations on where else to go?

Thanks for the review OP, much appreciated. I chose not to bite the bullet and saw they extended the deal so I came here right away to see if you posted your review.

I'll pass based on your experience, but it's great for you to share it with everyone here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast