Quantcast
1980's Fad's ( Cabbage Patch Dolls-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ect.) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1980's Fad's ( Cabbage Patch Dolls-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ect.)

My Ride
    04 Skyline 350GT TT

Thumbs up 1980's Fad's ( Cabbage Patch Dolls-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ect.)

1980's

Rubik's Cube
    Erno Rubik was looking for a innovative method of teaching his students about 3D objects and came up with what would be called Rubik's Cube. He patented this clever cube and made millions in the early 80's. There were 43 quintillion combinations of solving the cube, which prompted many books on how to solve the cube. The world record for solving the cube is 16.5 seconds! A later version of the cube was released called "Rubik's Revenge" which had four rows of four squares instead of three on the standard cube. 100 million cubes have been sold worldwide and are even now somewhat popular in certain places in the world.

Boom Boxes
    This oversized radio was popular with the youth of the early and mid-eighties because they played music so loud, you could hear them from a 100 yards away. They eventually came with dual cassette and CD players and used 8 "D" cell batteries to power the big speakers. Some had a special Bass Boost button that would make the boom boxes even louder and more annoying to most who could hear them. This fad is still popular with some young people because the new boom boxes come with MP3 players.

Video Arcades
    There are many arcades now, but during the 80s, they were the "in" place to hangout.

Wrestling
    Although it has made a comeback in recent years, nothing even compares with the classic years of the WWF, and the NWA.

Neon
    Pretty self explanatory. Socks, Shirts, Hair accessories, bracelets, shoe laces, store signs etc.

Break Dancing
    Remember the parachute pants and cardboard boxes that dancers would gyrate themselves on? Break dancing seems so different from all other kinds of dancing that the first question people ask when they see it is: "Where did these kids learn to dance like that?" In 1969, when James Brown was getting down with his big hit "Get on the Good Foot" the Hustle was the big dance style of the day. When he preformed his hit, he did the kind of dance you'd expect James Brown to do. High Energy. This eventually, evolved into break dancing.

Friendship Bracelets
    Friendship bracelets came in bright colors, vibrant woven patterns, beautiful glass beadwork and NFL football team names and colors.

Cabbage Patch Dolls
    Cabbage Patch Dolls were the doll craze of the 80s, and one of THE fads of the decade. Take this stroll down memory lane with the Cabbage Patch Kids and see what they've been up to lately.

Smurfs
    Blue elflike creatures, dwelling happily in the forest. Creatures with names like Jokey, Greedy, and Brainy Smurf. The went through adventures, sought advice from Papa Smurf and found themselves captivated by the perky Smurfette, the only female in the clan. During Smurf Mania, they out sold Star Wars, Garfield, Snoopy, Annie and Mickey Mouse.

Koosh Balls
    During the 1988 Christmas season, the Koosh ball was the hottest toy on the shelves. The Koosh ball was a rubber ball filled with a jelly-like plasma and its outside consisted of hundreds of rubber spikes making it look like a soft and flexible porcupine that did not hurt to hold or squeeze. When someone squeezed the object, the plasma caused it to squirm around in his hand while the spikes provided something to grip in one's hand.

Baby on Board" Signs
    Remember when we were supposed to avoid hitting the cars with the "Baby on Board" signs on them? It's open season on them now.

Hacky-Sack
    Coordinated enough to kick a beanbag but too wimpy to be a jock? Hacky-Sack was your sport.

Trivial Pursuit
    Want to seem as cleaver as Cliff Claven? Memorize a card set and then play a set or two against your friends. Both of them. We were all playing Trivial Pursuit in the early-Awesome80s.

Vans Tennis Shoes
    The shoes of choice for skateboarders everywhere. Pull on tennis shoes - no laces.

Lace fingerless gloves
    ala Madonna.

Tetherball
    A tetherball is similar to a volleyball and is tied to a ten-foot, vertical pole by a slender rope. Two players, who each get half of the area surrounding the pole, try to hit the tetherball ball repeatedly in one direction so that the rope wraps completely around the pole.

Miami Vice Fashion
    popularized by Don Johnson on the hit tv show.

Where's the Beef
    A slogan from a Wendy’s commercial for showing that other restaurants didn’t quite use as much meat on their
    hamburgers. Starred an old lady named Clara Peller, who kept asking that question.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    A hit cartoon about a bunch of hip turtles who loved eating pizza and could also fight well. People bought lots of related dolls, stickers, lunchboxes, etc.

Well we had to Strat this thread at some time based on the populairity of the 90's Fads Thread. SO people show your age and post up some 80's stuff

544 wrhp 555 ft/lbs torque @ 15psi

hmmm.. boring read
    I thought it was going to be funny (like the Calgary barbies) when I first started reading it but it's not.

My Ride
    Corolla

My Ride
    FJC, S30

TRANSFORMERS!! ahah im 19 so i probably wouldnt remember much form the 80's.. mayb cept those 25 cent big macs.. haha i think they were 25 cents..
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    Model S

ninja turtles and thundercats were the coolest things ever

i feel sorry for kids growing up without them

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Go-bots (Transformers wanna be). Garbage Pail Kids. Knight Rider. A-Team. Airwolf. Dukes of Hazzard.

Haha, there are so many things... I could go on forever.

My Ride
    2007 Acura TSX

Hmmm... no one has mentioned He-Man yet... or anyone ever watch that cartoon, Visionaries?? I thought they were the coolest toys with the holograms and such!!

Also, speaking of 80's, I heard that ALF may be making a comeback... as a talk show host!!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by accordboi_02
    Hmmm... no one has mentioned He-Man yet... or anyone ever watch that cartoon, Visionaries?? I thought they were the coolest toys with the holograms and such!!

Also, speaking of 80's, I heard that ALF may be making a comeback... as a talk show host!!

What about She-ra Princess of Power!

What about that show 'V' (with the aliens and shit).

Thundercats, Voltron, M.U.S.C.L.E, Battle Beast, GUTS...

I think TMNT is in the 90's though... because i dont remember them being popular until i was in my teens

Does anyone remeber Tranzor Z? (there was a chick robot named Aphrodite that had missle launching nipples LOL)

My Ride
    335i

What about those dumbass bracelet's that everyone had that wrapped around your wrist when you hit them against your arm? anyone remember those
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Have we all forgotten about...

AstroBoy??
    Dudes and dudettes he was the shiznit...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    What about those dumbass bracelet's that everyone had that wrapped around your wrist when you hit them against your arm? anyone remember those

The "Slap Bracelets"...Yeah man they took those away from us in school...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

I thought it was going to be funny (like the Calgary barbies) when I first started reading it but it's not.

Teenage mutain ninja turtles were awsome...are they still around?

My Ride
    Honda

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    Does anyone remeber Tranzor Z? (there was a chick robot named Aphrodite that had missle launching nipples LOL)

Scarred for life..... How the hell can anyone forget that?!?!

I still want to collect all the gestalt transformers.. but it's pricey as shit.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

my pet monster ???

^^ whoa... i remember that... but i didn't even get to Canada until the 90s lol

I dunno if they showed it hear, but they did show Doraemon back in HK when I lived there

My Ride
    2007 Acura TSX

Originally posted by ryder_23

Teenage mutain ninja turtles were awsome...are they still around?
    Yeah, they've made a comeback this past year. New cartoon, new toys, and kids love them.
    It's weird, but all sorts of 80s 'toons are coming back... transformers has been back for a while now, He-Man is back, TMNT...

Although it's not 80's one cartoon I would love to see resurrected is The Tick.

"Spoon!!!!"

the new TMNT ... i dunno; still have my reservations.

I know it follows the comic books a lot more closely... but there's just aspects of it i'm still not liking.

And the new transformers is sorta gibbled too. and let's not get into He-man :P lol.

anyone remember shows like DinoRiders, Sabre Rider and the Star Sheriffs of the Sky and Samurai Pizza Cats? (I want them to resurrect Samurai Pizza Cats )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast