Quantcast
OOP Speeding Ticket (Sask) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: OOP Speeding Ticket (Sask)

My Ride
    2008 Lancer GTS

Default OOP Speeding Ticket (Sask)

I tried searching for "speeding" "ticket" and "speeding ticket" and couldnt find much on this...

What happened:

I was driving home (Calgary) from Winnipeg and was pulled over by a cop for doing 130km/h in a 110km/h zone in Saskatchewan (near Swift Current)

The fine was "lowered" to $125 and the cop made no mention of demerits. Only way to pay is online via credit card or mailing payment to Swift Current.

I've heard stories that OOP speeding tickets don't really have any effect on you unless you return to that province. (Friend has a few hundred racked up in speeding tickets from BC and has never had anything done to him)

My question:

What will happen if I don't pay for this Sask speeding ticket?

Will it appear on my alberta record? Insurance issues? Demerits?

I'm still GDL if that makes a difference.

i read some where that if its in canada they can transfure it to where ever you are and it will show on ur record, i got one 2 days ago going to banff $210 35 over and a tinting ticket

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

You know what, it's very weird. I heard from people who received tickets from Sask (and Ontario) and it showed up on their abstract, but then I heard from those who received tickets in the same places, never paid them, and nothing was on their abstract..

Based on those people telling me that, I cannot say what is 100% correct.

They will mail you letters reminding you of this debt, and it would definitely suck if you get pulled over sometime in the future and have your license suspended or whatnot due to this unpaid ticket. Collections may also call and say it will affect your credit if you don't pay. Tough situation. I'm not sure what I would do initially but I think for peace of mind, I would pay the ticket.

Based on what people were saying here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=297103

I'd say that more often than not, it will show up on your abstract, and demerits will follow. So pay the ticket would be the best advice.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Pay the ticket. Saskatchewan needs the money.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

There will be no demerits on your alberta license for a saskatchewan speeding ticket.
    If the ticket appears on your abstract then your insurance can be affected by it.
    The ticket MAY appear on your abstract. The official answer is that it is supposed to appear on your abstract here, but the real answer is that it rarely does.
    If you don't pay it for a long enough period of time a warrant for your arrest may be issued in saskatchewan, and if pulled over there after this happens you won't be given the option to simply pay the ticket and carry on.
    GDL doesn't matter in this case.

IMO pay the ticket.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I got a speeding ticket in Brandon, Manitoba and decided not to pay it. It didn't show up on my record anywhere and my insurance company had no idea but the Brandon police put me into collections for $245 and it caused problems a year later when I was applying for my mortgage. I still haven't paid it.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If you dont want to pay, make sure you also stay out of Sask. Unpaid speeding tickets can be a bitch if you get caught again.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by ianmcc
    Pay the ticket. Saskatchewan needs the money.
    lol, you must have our economy mistaken with yours.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Hey OP same thing happened to me, I used to travel a lot to sask and got my last ticket near swift as well. i was really close to getting my lisence suspended because I was on GDL so i was like F it im not paying this... BAD IDEA i kept getting letters from the goverment to pay the fine and I ignored them for a while, after like 9 months I got one that said that if I didnt pay the ticket I was not gonna get my tax return or something like that, so I finally decided to pay it

yes demerits WILL show on your abstract, however it will only show as 2 demerits regardless how fast you were going.

you should just pay it and take the 2 demerits..

Originally posted by Zero102
    There will be no demerits on your alberta license for a saskatchewan speeding ticket.
    I'm not sure that this is true - I know for sure that BC tickets show up with demerits on your alberta abstract. They show up just like in the thread title "OOP - Speeding X demerits." (OOP = Out Of Province)

While I don't know for sure, I believe that there is also a reciprocal enforcement agreement in place with Saskatchewan just like with BC.

Originally posted by Zero102
    not true, I got two tickets in sask before I paid them and the demerits DID show up on my alberta license, Ive read a lot about tickets in other provinces and I believe the only province where u can get away with not paying tickets and they wont show up on your alberta license is BC

Originally posted by 3drian

not true, I got two tickets in sask before I paid them and the demerits DID show up on my alberta license, Ive read a lot about tickets in other provinces and I believe the only province where u can get away with not paying tickets and they wont show up on your alberta license is BC
    Demerits for BC offences do show up - I've seen them on an Alberta abstract with my own two eyes just two days ago. Not absolutely sure if they will not allow you to renew your registration until the fine is paid, though.

---

In fact, It looks like demerits can be assessed for offences from any jurisdiction in Canada or the US - so long as the Alberta authorities become aware of them.

From the Demerit Point Program and Service of Documents Regulation:

4(2) If a person is convicted of an offence under

(a) an enactment of another province or the Parliament of Canada, or

(b) an enactment of the United States of America or any state in the United States of America,

that is, in the opinion of the Registrar, equivalent to a conviction of a demerit offence, the conviction in that other jurisdiction may be treated under this Regulation as if the conviction were a conviction for the equivalent demerit offence.
    I guess by a strict reading of the section, you shouldn't get demerits for convictions in the territories, so exploit that loophole for all it's worth.

[edited for clarity]
    Last edited by dexlargo; 05-06-2011 at 10:03 AM.

My Ride
    2008 Lancer GTS

Thanks for all the info everyone.

From what I've read all over the place, seems like Sask is a bitch and BC is a bit more laid back on this lol. Guess I'll pay early and hope they don't send info to Alberta. I'd rather not have the 2 or 3 demerits taken off.

dexlargo: I would definitely fight a ticket in the territories based on the same grounds. However, who would be driving up in the territories anyway? lol :P

All depends on the province. I once got a ticket in North Dakota show up on my abstract because they have an agreement with Manitoba to share ticket info.

My Ride

Glad that OP is going to pay it.

But for anyone out there, listen to 3drian (quoted below).

Alberta recently in the past years passed a law that allows them to take money from your TAX RETURN if you have unpaid OOP tickets.

Originally posted by 3drian
    Hey OP same thing happened to me, I used to travel a lot to sask and got my last ticket near swift as well. i was really close to getting my lisence suspended because I was on GDL so i was like F it im not paying this... BAD IDEA i kept getting letters from the goverment to pay the fine and I ignored them for a while, after like 9 months I got one that said that if I didnt pay the ticket I was not gonna get my tax return or something like that, so I finally decided to pay it

yes demerits WILL show on your abstract, however it will only show as 2 demerits regardless how fast you were going.

you should just pay it and take the 2 demerits..

^You shouldn't pay too much attention to 3drian, at least on the point of the number of demerits. On the abstract I looked at on Wednesday, there were two OOP - speeding offences listed from BC, one was assessed 3 demerits, and the other 4.

I think that if the Alberta registrar doesn't receive indication of how much over the limit the person was, to be fair they would likely only assess 2 demerits (because that's the minimum number of demerits for speeding in Alberta). But if they do get the proper information, they have no problem assessing higher demerit values.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Interesting. They didn't used to be able to count the demerits as we had different schedules for how many points you got for each speed bracket. Apparently they have changed that!
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Glad that OP is going to pay it.

But for anyone out there, listen to 3drian (quoted below).

Alberta recently in the past years passed a law that allows them to take money from your TAX RETURN if you have unpaid OOP tickets.

So if this is the case, why was my tax return not touched this year with owing fines? And when I switched to an Alberta license from another province, there was no check on previous driving record of owing fines or demerits.

You skip a trial date or don't plead guilty you can be arrested for the unpaid ticket. If you plan to not pay the ticket you better plan to never go back to sask in your life for any reason.

Even then there are no assurances.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

Originally posted by dexlargo
    ^You shouldn't pay too much attention to 3drian, at least on the point of the number of demerits.
    Oh, right. True, I wasn't really referring to the point that only 2 demerits will be taken, rather on the point that demerits will be taken in general if a speeding violation is on your Alberta Abstract.

Originally posted by NoSup4U

So if this is the case, why was my tax return not touched this year with owing fines? And when I switched to an Alberta license from another province, there was no check on previous driving record of owing fines or demerits.
    No idea. I guess there will be a risk of this happening is all. Because there have been cases where this has happened, but probably not for everyone.