Quantcast
Gluten free stores - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Gluten free stores

My Ride
    1.8T

Default Gluten free stores

I have recently been diagnosed with gluten intolerance and as you can imagine, restricts almost all everyday foods. but I don't want this to stop me from eating the things I love, sandwhiches, pizza, etc.

I know there are a few places in Calgary to buy gluten free bread, etc. but I don't know where! hoping some people may know as I know I'm not the only one with this intolerance!

Thanks

My ex was a celiac, so I know what you're going through. Trust me there it's not going to be as bad as you think, it's a major adjustment don't get me wrong but with time you will make it through just fine. Some of the best places are:

- Planet Organic
    - Community Natural Foods
    - Amaranth
    - Farmers Markets

The key is to read ingredients, and try to eat as fresh as possible. Rice, corn, and potato flour are going to become close friends really quick for you. Lakeview Bakery also makes fresh gluten free bread. Superstore is good too, a brand called Kinnicinic is a safe bet ever time. It does start to drain the coppers pretty quick, but for the sake of health it is so worth it. Good luck, and if you need any other ideas just PM me, I worked hard with the ex for 2yrs to try to get a grip on it.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

I don't exclusively eat gluten free, but planet organic is a pretty good place little expensive though. also super store has a decent organic section that has a ton of good stuff in it.

If you have a Costco card, you can buy Silverhills breads there, which are sprouted whole grain and much easier to digest if you have issues with gluten.
    IIRC they are around $6 for 2, as opposed to $5 for one at most other stores.
    http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/

Just make sure you toast it, it isn't good otherwise.
    Takes a little bit to get used to, but once you do, it's way way way better than normal bread.

Oh, and apparently Nick's Pizza does a gluten free pizza dough but you have to order ahead of time or something like that.

My Ride
    2000 Civic SE

I found out I couldn't eat gluten 2 years.
    Just FYI for the first 6months you'll most likely be very sensitive to milk and you'll feel hungry ALL the time.
    Overall, it took me about a year to figure it all out and feel normal with it, so just take it one day at a time. I find the biggest thing about this situation is the convenience of eating. Fast food definitely gets removed from your diet very quickly.

For bread options, I have found that GF Patisserie has the best baked goods. I mostly use their hamburger buns for sandwiches and then their bread for toast.

As others have said, you just have to get used to spending $7 on a loaf of bread now. If you don't want to drive all the way to cochrane, the water store (up by sunridge theater NE) sells their stuff also.

Other great options, Kinnicinic bread is really good & o'dough products (sold at superstore) and you car order online.
    At the beginning I went to the health food stores a lot until I realized superstore actually sells a lot of the same stuff for way cheaper.

Some other tips - Boston Pizza sells gfree pizza (using kinnicinic pizza dough) and is a really good option when people are ordering in food. Superstore sells PM me if you have specific questions, I am more than willing to help.

FYI - there is a gfree fair going on this weekend. I went last year and it was great! A lot of vendors come out and you go buy a variety of products and see where all these stores are, I highly recommend it!

Saturday, May 7 · 10:00am - 3:00pm

Quality Hotel Calgary Airport & Conference Centre
    4804 Edmonton Trail NE

Amandine Bakery on Centre Street North can make up some great desserts that are gluten-free.

http://www.amandinebakery.ca/

My Ride
    1.8T

Wow thanks guys, knew i wasn't alone with this! haha, one advantage is the fact that it gives you the chance to have a much healthier diet, avoiding most junk foods.

Superstores i will have to check out as well as the water store, very close to both of them

I'm also still a student so its really hard packing lunches for school everyday when theres fast food places all around my school, sometimes you wish to just have a lazy day and have some fast food.

Money is an issue too, that extra dollars is really a big weight put on my shoulders considering i only work part time!

All you gluten intolerance members here, do you have once in a while just have a meal with gluten in it? I know you won't feel good at all afterwards but do you guys do it? Just on those special occasions?
    Last edited by RNB11; 05-05-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    1994 Acura Integra LS (write off)
    1995 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    1999 Honda Civic SIR (sold)
    1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t (DD)

There's a Gluten Free Marketplace by Harvest Hills that just opened.
    http://www.glutenfreemarketplace.ca/

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by core_upt
    If you have a Costco card, you can buy Silverhills breads there, which are sprouted whole grain and much easier to digest if you have issues with gluten.
    IIRC they are around $6 for 2, as opposed to $5 for one at most other stores.
    http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/

Just make sure you toast it, it isn't good otherwise.
    Takes a little bit to get used to, but once you do, it's way way way better than normal bread.
    Don't do this! They use wheat still and you will get sick. Silverhills bread is sprouted wheat. It is honestly the best bread out there just not for people suffering from gluten intolerance or celiac. If anything the gluten is higher because of the sprouting process allowing more protein (glutenin and gliadin) to develop. There is a reason why they don't say that bread is gluten free.

I have been gluten free for 15 years. There are so many more options then there used to be. Your best bets are going to be Amaranth and Community and Planet Organic (most expensive). Amaranth will actually track all your purchases so that when it comes to tax season you can get a refund fo the the additional money you spend.

Most gluten free bread tastes terrible. But there is, Earth's Oven and Maggie's harvest that taste pretty damn good.

My Ride
    2000 Civic SE

Even if gluten doesn't affect you too much right now, as soon as you start avoiding it, going back to it for a meal or two is out of the question.

When I first knew, I was in complete denial and thought the same thing, until I cheated the first time. Now, going through that pain is just not worth it. And really you just have to commit fully to the new diet and you will see dramatic changes to your health, energy, etc. You will notice that being free of gluten is the best thing that has happened to you.

Going to school is basically the same thing as going to work everyday, it's not like I can eat much downtown so I tend to bring lunches everyday. The secret is to make more food at dinner to have leftovers. So pasta, pizza, rice dishes, chillies.

Another place to get gfree pizza is coco brooks. They sell them frozen so I pick up 10 at a time usually and keep them at home.

Fast food options - burger king has a 'low carb' burger and ask for mayo on the side (comes in a salad container). I have also requested this from mcdonald's & A&Wand they knew what I meant. The fries are both ok at these places also. Wendy's has salads, baked potatoes, chili. Tim hortons chili, turkey/rice soup. NY fries/gravy is ok

Tip - French's gravy powder mix only uses cornstarch and not flour for making gravy at home
    - The soy sauce at the majority of asian restaurants do contain flour, so I bring my own which can be purchased at superstore to sushi places. The only gfree chinese food ive found is peking garden in the NW.

The best advice I can give is to a lot of research, the more you learn the better. Your first trip to the grocery store will take hours looking at ingredients but after a while you remember the things you can/can't have.
    And don't give up! the first loaf of bread I bought I threw out and thought I would never eat bread again, but there are so very good ones out there.

My Ride
    1.8T

Thank guys for the options. I just headed towards the water store, they have a pretty good selection of gluten free products. Though a little pricey, but not sure how pricey compared to other gluten free stores.

I picked up a loaf of Udi's bread for $8, supposedly the best for any gluten free breads but i will have to see
    1994 Acura Integra LS (write off)
    1995 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    1999 Honda Civic SIR (sold)
    1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t (DD)

My Ride
    2006 Yamaha R1 (Raven)

My Ride
    2000 prelude

http://earthsoven.com/

Here is another place you can try for your gluten free products.
    00redLUDE

seriously do yourself a favour and get a bread maker there are tons of recipes on the net for gluten free breads and there are breadmakers that have gluten free buttons on the breadmaker so it's no fail.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Kinnikinnick bread is the best I've tasted, available at Safeway. They usually stock gluten free donuts in the same freezer!
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

there's a store in the NE called Bulk Barn that has a lot of gluten-free stuff, and lots of various flours etc. that you can use to make your own pasta and breads.

My Ride
    BMW X3

Originally posted by RNB11

Money is an issue too, that extra dollars is really a big weight put on my shoulders considering i only work part time!

Gluten Free Products can be claimed as a Medical Expense on your taxes

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...0/clc-eng.html