Quantcast
Passport Renewal Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Passport Renewal Question

Default Passport Renewal Question

Hey all,

Quick question about passport renewals. I'm leaving at the end of this month to Europe for 2 weeks and will be back in early June. My passport expires in December of this year... I should be more than safe right?

Some friends of mine are getting me super paranoid and saying that I have to renew my passport before I leave since its on the "verge" of expiring.

Any truth to this?

Some countries require that your passport is valid for up to 6 months AFTER your arrival, so yes, there is some truth to it, but if you arrive back in early June, you should be ok.

To be safe, I would look up the entry requirements for the countries you are visiting by checking the official tourism website for the country.
    For example, the Germany Tourism board states:
    "To enter Germany you need a passport that is valid for at least fourth months from your date of arrival"
    (Taken from: http://www.germany.travel/en/gut_zu_...formation.html)

Again, you should be ok, but I would double check it.

Hmm, ok i'll try to get it renewed before i leave then.

Thanks for the info.

Also have you booked the flight yet? I believe if you provide them with proof of your flight they will rush your passport. It might be pushing it time wise if you decide to get it done if its not rushed.

My Ride
    GT TDi

you dont have to get it renewed now thats crazy

it's good as long as its valid for 3 days past your return flight (in case there was a delay in connection or some other problem)

i had a flight where mine was expiring the day after my return flight the airline in europe did not want to let me fly i had to put up a big fight that lasted an hour and they finally let me go

technically they have no choice but to let you fly as long as your passport is valid, but in case it expired during my journey the airline would be responsible for whatever were to happen
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

^^ That is TERRIBLE advice! Why would you recommend someone risking a trip and getting stuck overseas? It sounds to me like you lucked out, they could have easily had you deported.

MANY countries require you to have a passport that is valid for 6 months to issue you a visa. Unless you research the specific requirements of every country you're visiting, don't risk it.

Besides, you're going to have to renew it soon anyways, so all you'd be doing is delaying the fee a few months.

Originally posted by bart

technically they have no choice but to let you fly as long as your passport is valid, but in case it expired during my journey the airline would be responsible for whatever were to happen
    The decision would have nothing to do with the airline and everything to do with the customs and immigration of the host country, and they can choose to reject people based on the legal entry requirements of their country.

OP - check the entry requirements for each country you are visiting, and make your own decisions based on that.

you have all frightened me enough for me to go get my passport renewed tomorrow haha.

thanks again guys

My Ride
    GT TDi

Originally posted by thrasher22
    ^^ That is TERRIBLE advice! Why would you recommend someone risking a trip and getting stuck overseas? It sounds to me like you lucked out, they could have easily had you deported.

MANY countries require you to have a passport that is valid for 6 months to issue you a visa. Unless you research the specific requirements of every country you're visiting, don't risk it.

Besides, you're going to have to renew it soon anyways, so all you'd be doing is delaying the fee a few months.
    they can't deport me if my passport belongs to a country in which its about to expire in

i have 2 passports, one canada and one EU

if you need a visa then i don't know the minimum validity of your passport needed, in my case i didnt have any visas cause i dont need them
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

just incase anyone in the future needs to know:

i went friday afternoon to harry hays to renew my passport. in order to get your passport renewed in 24 hours, it has to be a confirmed emergency (ie family death).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by bobafixed
    just incase anyone in the future needs to know:

i went friday afternoon to harry hays to renew my passport. in order to get your passport renewed in 24 hours, it has to be a confirmed emergency (ie family death).
    But there is pay option to speed it up. Last time I had to do it for France and got it under a week.

^ Right, forgot to mention that you can pay 30 bucks extra to have it back to you in 5 business days. I went in on Friday afternoon and they said i should have it by Thursday the next week.