Quantcast
Coral Castle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coral Castle

Default Coral Castle

I couldn't believe I've been alive this long and had never heard of this before. Sometimes, reality is stranger than fiction.

The video quality reminds me of the old videos we used to have in elementary school, but it's definitely worth watching:

Soooooooo weird:

Even more bizarre is the book he wrote which included design plans for an electrical system experiment. The system can store energy in a magnet, NO batteries and NO capacitors, and doesn't lose charge over time. You can come back six months later and the charge is still in the magnet.

Here's a video of it in action:

Interesting stuff.

Wow very cool!! I'd like to go there sometime. Interesting reading about the 9 ton gate that was so precision balanced it could be pushed open with one finger. Also didn't know that Billy Idol's "sweet sixteen" song is about that guy and the video was shot in the castle itself.

Listening to Leonard Nimoy, I kept thinking of this ad: (cracks me up every time)

Last edited by C_Dave45; 05-09-2011 at 07:15 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Wow very cool!! I'd like to go there sometime. Interesting reading about the 9 ton gate that was so precision balanced it could be pushed open with one finger. Also didn't know that Billy Idol's "sweet sixteen" song is about that guy and the video was shot in the castle itself.

Listening to Leonard Nimoy, I kept thinking of this ad: (cracks me up every time)

lol, that video kills me every time too. makes me want to try experimenting and try moving rocks like that on my own. I don't even want to think of how hard it would be to form those rocks either.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Yeah, I looked further into that.

Well after he died and the government took over Coral Castle and turned it into a museum, the rock actually crushed the "bearing". When they removed the door to repair the bearing - with great difficulty even using modern machines - they discovered the door wasn't even balanced on a bearing. It was actually balanced on a rock. They sent the rock out to a few universities for a composition analysis and the results were strrrrraaaaangeeeee.......the rock was made from a substance completely unknown to man.

My Ride
    See sig

I saw a TV show on this thing as well, about how he only worked at night, and insisted that he had unlocked the secret to the pyramids, which is how he was able to move these large heavy objects by himself with such precision.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    S14|TB1

insane, i also can't believe i've never heard of this place in my entire life, gonna skip lunch to watch the rest of the vids

Yeah, I looked further into that.

Well after he died and the government took over Coral Castle and turned it into a museum, the rock actually crushed the "bearing". When they removed the door to repair the bearing - with great difficulty even using modern machines - they discovered the door wasn't even balanced on a bearing. It was actually balanced on a rock. They sent the rock out to a few universities for a composition analysis and the results were strrrrraaaaangeeeee.......the rock was made from a substance completely unknown to man.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

According to wikipedia, it was a bearing

(not just wikipedia, but pretty much every website that talks about Coral Castle, and isn't a nutjob)

The mystery of the gate's perfectly balanced axis and the amazing ease with which it revolved lasted for decades until the gate suddenly stopped working in 1986. At that time, a team of engineers was brought in for consultation. In order to remove the gate, six men and a 50-short-ton (45 t) crane were utilized. Once the gate was removed, the engineers discovered how Leedskalnin had centered and balanced the 9-short-ton piece of rock. Leedskalnin had drilled a hole from top to bottom of the 8-foot-tall gate with no electric tools and inserted a metal shaft. The rock rested on an old truck bearing. It was the rusting out of this bearing that resulted in the gate's failure to revolve. The 9-short-ton gate, complete with new bearings, and a replaced shaft was lifted and set back into place on July 23, 1986.[14] The gate failed again in 2005 and was subsequently repaired, however it does not rotate with the same ease it once did.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by RedDawn
    Even more bizarre is the book he wrote which included design plans for an electrical system experiment. The system can store energy in a magnet, NO batteries and NO capacitors, and doesn't lose charge over time. You can come back six months later and the charge is still in the magnet.
    That's not really bizarre at all; It's just basic physics.

My Ride
    bus pass... again

I've been there before, I was doing a southern carribean cruise n was stopping by miami for 4 days before the cruise. Maybe I'm weak but it took me both hands n full body strength to get that door to open lol. so the one finger thing is BS maybe I'll try to dig up some pics n post it later.
    我係阿仔

Originally posted by winson2001
    I've been there before, I was doing a southern carribean cruise n was stopping by miami for 4 days before the cruise. Maybe I'm weak but it took me both hands n full body strength to get that door to open lol. so the one finger thing is BS maybe I'll try to dig up some pics n post it later.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle

A 9-short-ton (8.2 t) revolving gate is the most famous structure of the castle and was documented on the television programs In Search of... and That's Incredible! The gate is carved so precisely that it fits within a quarter of an inch of the walls on both sides. It was so well-balanced that a child could open it with the push of a single finger. The mystery of the gate's perfectly balanced axis and the amazing ease with which it revolved lasted for decades until the gate suddenly stopped working in 1986. At that time, a team of engineers was brought in for consultation. In order to remove the gate, six men and a 50-short-ton (45 t) crane were utilized. Once the gate was removed, the engineers discovered how Leedskalnin had centered and balanced the 9-short-ton piece of rock. Leedskalnin had drilled a hole from top to bottom of the 8-foot-tall gate with no electric tools and inserted a metal shaft. The rock rested on an old truck bearing. It was the rusting out of this bearing that resulted in the gate's failure to revolve. The 9-short-ton gate, complete with new bearings, and a replaced shaft was lifted and set back into place on July 23, 1986.[14] The gate failed again in 2005 and was subsequently repaired, however it does not rotate with the same ease it once did.

Not weird enough that be built it, but he later moved it single handedly? wtf
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Went there last year. Really interesting place, lucked out making a trip down that area and had to check it out. Real world interesting stuff that really deserves more scrutiny but just isn't on many peoples' radar. How it relates to the methods used to construct the pyramids is really intriguing.

Bought his writings but the english takes some getting used to and deciphering. I'll let you guys know when I start breaking the laws of known physics

Lets just call him Klaatu...
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

This video explains the other rock, yes there was a bearing too.

There's plenty of videos on youtube about this place and how it is believed that one man achieved lifting blocks of coral weighting up to 30 tones and position them so precisely. What I dislike about scientific mysteries like this one is there are plenty of wacky people with no formal education making wild deductions like "this man knew the secret to anti-gravity" or the secrets of "free energy". There's no evidence for such claims but everyday there are people who believe they know or are close to discovering these secrets. I find all these videos entertaining to watch but they sell people's invented fictions as truths and take away from the real questions at hand.

I dont think the egyptions pyramids or stonehenge were created using any kind of levitation technology. I dont have an engineering background, so I have no clue how a person would tackle such a feat but i'd be interested to know how he did it. There are many curiosities surrounding the construction of the castle, who knows where the line between fact and fiction is drawn.

^ Well, check out this link then: http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/

It's the website of a guy who is trying to figure out techniques that would have been available for building Stonehenge or the Pyramids. And here's the weird part: He's showing everyone how he's doing it.

He's working on building a scale model of Stonehenge - by himself, without using anything beyond simple tools (and by simple, he means really simple: no hoists, no tripods, no chains, no big metal levers - there is a photo of the coral castle guy using all of these - mostly just wood and other stone blocks.) He's moved and set up 20,000 lb. stone blocks this way by himself - quite impressive. But no magic.
    Last edited by dexlargo; 05-09-2011 at 10:57 PM.

^^ Interesting. I guess that's one possible explanation. I still wonder how the gate/door for the coral castle was balanced so well? Why did the architect of the castle work at night? Lots of questions but at least the above video sheds some light on the topic and provides a reasonable explanation as to how things could have been constructed with regular tools instead of alien technology, telekinesis or some other made up bs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast