Quantcast
Has anyone written the MCAT / been accepted to Med school? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone written the MCAT / been accepted to Med school?

Default Has anyone written the MCAT / been accepted to Med school?

Sup beyond?

Just wanted to see what people thought of the MCAT. I'll be writing it at the end of August, so I'm gonna start studying soon.

It'd be nice to hear how difficult it was and your scores too if you care to share
    http://www.youtube.com/jjianc/

Yes, I wrote the MCAT a long time ago.

Not that hard from what I remember. I do recall that you are really pressed for time on the written.

^

...? Not that hard?

I have never written them, but quite a few close friends have. Most of them stated it was the worst test they have ever had to write, studied months for it. Scores ranged from 84th percentile and upwards.

Your friends must just be idiots, or have done nothing more in their lives than the MCAT.

I've written much harder exams than the MCAT, like my Royal College Fellowship Exams. The MCAT and any other test leading up to those was a joke in comparison.

Maybe if that is where their medical education journey ended, people might perceive the MCAT as difficult.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by xrayvsn
    Your friends must just be idiots, or have done nothing more in their lives than the MCAT.

I've written much harder exams than the MCAT, like my Royal College Fellowship Exams. The MCAT and any other test leading up to those was a joke in comparison.

Maybe if that is where their medical education journey ended, people might perceive the MCAT as difficult.
    you're so cool BRAH

My Ride
    jdm b18c

ntm bro, you?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by colinxx235

Originally posted by dandia89

You guys are fucking idiots. STFU if you have nothing constructive to say. He's an actual doctor. I think he knows a thing or two about MCATs

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

You guys are fucking idiots. STFU if you have nothing constructive to say. He's an actual doctor. I think he knows a thing or two about MCATs

Yes I gathered that by his Fellowship comment. Any reason for the swearing/fucking idiots comment? (especially moderator lol)

Whether he is a Doctor or not, I know a few as well, first time I have ever heard anyone dismiss the MCATs as being easy... lol

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Yes I gathered that by his Fellowship comment. Any reason for the swearing/fucking idiots comment? (especially moderator lol)

Whether he is a Doctor or not, I know a few as well, first time I have ever heard anyone dismiss the MCATs as being easy... lol
    cause im sick of idiots questioning real professionals who are actually trying to help with the question in hand.

How is posting a " " going to help OP perpare for the exam? What do YOU know that might help?

What backgrounds did your friends have? This is the first time I've heard that the MCAT is hard, but I know some of the same doctors as xrayvsn
    heloc that shit

I stated my friends studied for months and scored 84th and higher? All did quite well. The 84 did not get into med school but the others did. Figured it was more constructive than "cool story BRAH", I also did not just post a facepalm either... Just from talking with friends currently in Med school, someone giving the advice "they aren't that bad" is just a little weird

Originally posted by lint

What backgrounds did your friends have? This is the first time I've heard that the MCAT is hard, but I know some of the same doctors as xrayvsn

Four are in first/second year Med. One is doing neural surgeon residency (last year). I should have edited hardest to "one of the hardest" my bad. They have had tougher tests, but I believe much of the pressure lies within wanting a 90+ percentile score?

what backgrounds = what undergraduate experience they had before writing the MCAT. It might be challenging for someone who was an english or psychology major, but for bio/chem majors, the MCAT really shouldn't prove that difficult.
    heloc that shit

Two of them did Kines, one did masters in kines as well.
    The rest all did Bio Sci's. Most of them did very very well on the test, maybe the difficulty all lies in the stress vs the material and that's how they communicated it to me? My goal was not to stir up trouble or have an admin come and call me an idiot lol. I'd assume even xray put in a generous amount of time studying for his MCATs?

OK, moving away from the facepalming, I still stand by my statetment that the MCAT is not that difficult.

Yes, you are pressed for time, especially for the written, but most of the MCAT is basic first year (or even high school) science. The volume of knowledge is no greater than what you are required to know when writing a full course load of University level bio sci set of final exams, usually with a lot less detail.

Four are in first/second year Med. One is doing neural surgeon residency (last year). I should have edited hardest to"one of the hardest" my bad. They have had tougher tests, but I believe much of the pressure lies within wanting a 90+ percentile score?
    I suspect the self imposed pressure of wanting to score 13+ in all the components of the MCAT may be why people think it is hard. Go ask your Neurosurgery resident friend what he thinks of the MCAT after he studies and completes his fellowship exam, then return to this thread and tell us what he says. Since he is in his final year, he should have already returned from Ottawa for his FRCS oral exam.

My Ride
    04 G35

Just got accepted into Med this year. Took the MCAT last year, scored 99+ %-tile and currently teaching for Kaplan Prep and Oxford Seminars. I'll tell you this much. In terms of the content, most students are totally fine. If you've taken first year bio, chem, organic chem, your content will be okay. The biggest thing is getting the timing down especially for verbal reasoning/physical sciences. Writing portion is also something most people find difficult due to finding relevant examples. I would suggest preparation time of at least 20 hrs/week depending on how much content based knowledge you know with LOTS of practise exams. The MCAT tests not simple regurgitation of facts but your ability to apply those facts. In all honesty, a score of 32 or higher and a Q in the written section is all you need for most medical schools. MacMaster is a little odd in that they only look at your verbal reasoning at the moment. Most likely this will change in coming years. If you'd like any more info or help with the MCAT, I'd be glad to help you out.
    If I had a nickel for every time someone said that, I'd have a nickel.

Yah after having a good chat with my friend in NeuroS he still stood by the statement that he found the MCATs to be a pain in the ass, mostly with the time it took to study and the imposed pressure to get the highest possible grade.

He stated his to date hardest exam was his "Principles of Surgery" (I believe thats what he called...was drinking hard) and said that he will be pretty nervous for his Royal College come next year.

My Ride
    Nothing

MCAT vs actuarial exams ... I wonder which is worst?

I say actuarial because I scored in the bottom 5th percentile, lol
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Doctor Logic 101: If you think the MCAT is hard, you are an idiot, take it from me...I are professional doctor.
    Last edited by Superdooper; 06-07-2011 at 10:18 PM.

My Ride
    06 civic ex coupe

Originally posted by rob.cal
    Just got accepted into Med this year. Took the MCAT last year, scored 99+ %-tile and currently teaching for Kaplan Prep and Oxford Seminars. I'll tell you this much. In terms of the content, most students are totally fine. If you've taken first year bio, chem, organic chem, your content will be okay. The biggest thing is getting the timing down especially for verbal reasoning/physical sciences. Writing portion is also something most people find difficult due to finding relevant examples. I would suggest preparation time of at least 20 hrs/week depending on how much content based knowledge you know with LOTS of practise exams. The MCAT tests not simple regurgitation of facts but your ability to apply those facts. In all honesty, a score of 32 or higher and a Q in the written section is all you need for most medical schools. MacMaster is a little odd in that they only look at your verbal reasoning at the moment. Most likely this will change in coming years. If you'd like any more info or help with the MCAT, I'd be glad to help you out.
    Agree with this 100%. I didn't find the content itself that hard per se. The hardest part was time management and the written part. I took the Kaplan class and I found that was very useful, especially with the written part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast