Quantcast
Hyundais have less hp than advertised - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Hyundais have less hp than advertised

Default Hyundais have less hp than advertised

Damn +44411's

My Ride
    BMW E70

that sucks... atleast they get longer warranty out of it....

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Different companies have different ways of determining hp ratings to advertize.

EX. 98 VW GTI 150 hp rating delivers around 140 to the wheels, 2002 SER spec V 175 rating delivers 141 hp to the wheels.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by altima
    Different companies have different ways of determining hp ratings to advertize.

EX. 98 VW GTI 150 hp rating delivers around 140 to the wheels, 2002 SER spec V 175 rating delivers 141 hp to the wheels.
    its a well known fact that the GTIs put out over the last few years have been quite underrated. The numbers that the manufacturers are quoting are all BRAKE horsepower anyways. You can take 2 identical cars and dyno them and they won't show the same horsepower, wheel or brake because every motor is different and every driveline is different, you might end up with a car at the low end of the tolerance, someone else might get one at the higher end. Some cars suffer from horrific driveline loss (the spec-V leaps to mind immediately), and some cars are underrated from the facotry. I just find it funny that hyundai is admitting close to ten years after the fact on some models.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

haha, same thing happened to the 2001 Miata, 10 less ponys than advertised.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by altima
    2002 SER spec V 175 rating delivers 141 hp to the wheels.
    yea, the 175hp rating is way off. it should be about 160hp. nissan did this because they initially promised 180hp from the qr25, but they realized their engine really wasnt that strong.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    yea, the 175hp rating is way off. it should be about 160hp. nissan did this because they initially promised 180hp from the qr25, but they realized their engine really wasnt that strong.
    How do you know those losses aren't in the tranny somewhere, or the diff or somewhere else? The only way to find out if the engine is putting out anywhere close to what its rated is to pull it and put it on an engine dyno (and to date, I don't think anyone has actually done this).
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

That sucks. I'm surprised that hyundia came forward at all, I mean it would be pretty damn hard to prove 4% in a court of law.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    AI Servo

The same thing happened a few years ago with the Mustang Cobras. IIRC, Ford had to replace the intake manifolds or something.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

yea i knew that sudden korean car improvement had something up its sleeve...

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

How do you know those losses aren't in the tranny somewhere, or the diff or somewhere else? The only way to find out if the engine is putting out anywhere close to what its rated is to pull it and put it on an engine dyno (and to date, I don't think anyone has actually done this).
    well i suppose i dont. but its pretty damn obvious that the qr25 is way overrated. nissan knows how to make a proper drivetrain that doesnt suck out so much power, and they set higher goals than they could achieve in the first place. its very likely that the engine is just underperforming

Originally posted by turboMiata
    The same thing happened a few years ago with the Mustang Cobras. IIRC, Ford had to replace the intake manifolds or something.
    Yup, the 99 cobras were advertised to have 20 hp more than they actually did have, and I believe it was due to the intake manifold. There was no cobra production in 2000 ('cept the R)cause ford was busy replacing 99 parts and making the 01 model perform. It was only in 01 that the cobra surpassed the Z28 for acceleration.
    03 is a different story though. 5.0 Mustang and super fords dynoed a new 03 cobra at 360.7 HP, 358.7 Tq!!!! That means about 430 HP at flywheel!! way more than the advertised 390.

As for hyundai, I think its a good thing they've acknowledged the problem and are doing at least something to fix it (homer: extended warrenty, how can i lose? ) I'm sure sooooo many cars are overrated from the factory that we never hear about and the manufacturer really doesn't give a shit.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

There was an article in Sport Compact Car a few months ago taht talks about how most of the companies over-exaggerate the hp numbers on the cars.

My Ride
    2002 pontiac sunfire

ok no offense but we are talking about hyundais.....with the exdeption of the new tiburon they all lick ass......thats my $0.02 worth though

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by davidI
    There was an article in Sport Compact Car a few months ago taht talks about how most of the companies over-exaggerate the hp numbers on the cars.

Its funny, cause most european manufacturers underate thier cars...
    Travel

My Ride
    NC1

At least the president of Hyundai is stepping up to the plate and acknowledging this error.

Apparently Hyundai has sent out letters to all their customers explaining the situation and offering extended warranties and or extended roadside assistance.

Looks like they care about their customers and want to maintain good relationship with them.

I like the new Tiburons but for almost $30K, I will not drive a Hyundai!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49