Quantcast
R32 GTR owners - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R32 GTR owners

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Default R32 GTR owners

Well since the Prelude is damaged it is time to get a new project. I want something with some juice this time and have always loved the R32 GTR. Since I'm still young I might as well have a taste of JDM while it's still appropriate.

Any of you previous or current owners please chime in on what kind of problems you have run into and what to look closely at when buying a GTR. I've already read a lot of the info on GTR Canada but I want Beyond's advice.

I found a couple low km GTR's.

First, http://forums.gtrcanada.com/cars-sal...1-r32-gtr.html

This one is really cheap for how many km's are on it but I think that's because its rusting out.

The second one I don't have a set of pictures yet but the seller is a member on here, he pm'd me claiming he's got a super clean GTR with 51,000 original kms and zero rust in Regina. He wants $15,000.
    Last edited by CMW403; 05-13-2011 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    Ram

oil pumps were an issue, the white one seems nice... good price too

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by Sorath
    oil pumps were an issue, the white one seems nice... good price too
    From what I've read - The oil pump failure only really becomes an issue when the owner is really pushing the car hard, or looking to modify and increase horsepower. I'm not looking to do either, I just want a nice exhaust and rims. Other than that all other modifications will be cosmetic.

Do you still have your R32?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Beware of Torque Split Controllers. Check for rust in the trunk area.

Quick facts: R32 GTR weighs 3206lbs.

R33 GTR is 3400lbs, gets a wider oil pump drive collar, also gets stronger syncros in the transmission. V-Spec has active limited slip rear differential. The R33 is more comfortable daily driver.

I'll update more later today...

R33's are about as practical as a race car gets:
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    6.2L V8

LOL Mike we already had this conversation. I really appreciate your persistence, I can't afford that Midnight Purple beauty. Besides, $23,000 is too much for a toy, what if I blow it up?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by CMW403
    LOL Mike we already had this conversation. I really appreciate your persistence, I can't afford that Midnight Purple beauty. Besides, $23,000 is too much for a toy, what if I blow it up?
    That one is sold... more MNP examples should be available now that the R33 GTR has been legal for a couple years.
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Ram

From what I've read - The oil pump failure only really becomes an issue when the owner is really pushing the car hard, or looking to modify and increase horsepower. I'm not looking to do either, I just want a nice exhaust and rims. Other than that all other modifications will be cosmetic.

Do you still have your R32?
    so you're going to buy a gtr but not push it at all? hmmmm.....
    keep in mind the car is also 15-20 years old. i would swap it out anyways.. yes i still have mine

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

$23,000 for an R33 GT-R is way overpriced unless it has a jet engine underneath the hood or something similar.

You should be able to find great conditioned, rust free R33 GTRs for around $11,000 - $13,000.

R32 GT-Rs aren't usually much cheaper for ones in similar condition... as odd as that seems... and if they are, be wary.

Having owned two R32 GT-Rs in the past I would recommend spending a few extra K and getting an R33 GT-R... especially if you aren't going to tune it and simply want to keep it relatively stock.

My Ride
    Ram

you're wrong, r33 gtr's are way cheaper than r32 gtr's. if you really wanted an r33 gtr you could import one over for about 6-7000

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by Sorath

so you're going to buy a gtr but not push it at all? hmmmm.....
    keep in mind the car is also 15-20 years old. i would swap it out anyways.. yes i still have mine
    Well obviously i'm going to push it, but guys on GTRC are talking about it happening while you're bouncing it off the rev limiter. I'm not planning to go that hard.

I would swap it out but doesn't the engine have to be removed?
    Most people do it when they rebuild the engine, but I won't be doing that for a year or two.

How long do these engines usually last?

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by Tram Common
    $23,000 for an R33 GT-R is way overpriced unless it has a jet engine underneath the hood or something similar.

You should be able to find great conditioned, rust free R33 GTRs for around $11,000 - $13,000.

R32 GT-Rs aren't usually much cheaper for ones in similar condition... as odd as that seems... and if they are, be wary.

Having owned two R32 GT-Rs in the past I would recommend spending a few extra K and getting an R33 GT-R... especially if you aren't going to tune it and simply want to keep it relatively stock.
    Why? Mind going into more detail?

I was planning on buying one like the white one I posted with low km's for $8500 and saving the extra cash to do a rebuild later on.

I also like the rear end of the R32 a LOT more than the R33. Are there any more reasons other than the oil pump that makes the R33 a better car? higher quality parts or something?

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

Limited Slip is a beautiful thing. Especially on a rear wheel drive car and if you plan on driving it year round

My Ride
    95 GSR

make sure timing belt..water pump..changed..r33 engines has a better oil pump drive..
    Originally posted by Neil4Speed

No your wrong. Checking out tits/ass is like looking at the sun. You can't stare at it long, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by pinoyboy88
    make sure timing belt..water pump..changed..r33 engines has a better oil pump drive..
    Should the timing belt and water pump be changed on a car with 65000km?

My Ride
    DamianBaby.

I imported mine myself straight from japan. It's been here since august and so far soo good. Then again, i dont bag on my cars as much as boys do these days.

He is a beauty though.
    Somehow I always end up feeding these trolls. I'm like their inkeeper.

My Ride
    95 GSR

Should the timing belt and water pump be changed on a car with 65000km?
    that car with 65000km's??? no way i would believe that has low of a km..my opinion though..

rust???? and steering wheel looks so beat up..with 65km..ask him for engine pics
    Last edited by pinoyboy88; 05-12-2011 at 07:12 PM.

No your wrong. Checking out tits/ass is like looking at the sun. You can't stare at it long, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by pinoyboy88

that car with 65000km's??? no way i would believe that has low of a km..my opinion though..
    How hard is it to roll back the odo? Cause I had a friend in vancouver go check it out and he said the numbers on the odo are all aligned and it ran like it had 65000kms.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Belt's age and weather.

Also any oil or coolant leaks reduce the life span of a belt.

At the very least inspect it. I've seen lots of cracked JDM belts on <100,000 engines.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Why? Mind going into more detail?
    The V-Spec R33 GT-R RB26DETT is a better engine than any R32 GT-R engine in stock trim.

Also, R33's are newer and therefore should result in cleaner examples being available to you.

90% of the R32 GT-Rs I've come across have had some form of rust on them... including mine.

My Ride
    95 GSR

How hard is it to roll back the odo? Cause I had a friend in vancouver go check it out and he said the numbers on the odo are all aligned and it ran like it had 65000kms.
    Comp test it and leakdown test...km isnt everything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast