Quantcast
2011-2012 Winnipeg Jets Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 Winnipeg Jets Thread

My Ride
    Vorsprung durch Tecknik

Default The TSN Jets meter has moved!

Get your Coyotes seasons tickets now the the City of Glendale taxpayers are covering another NHL season?

hmm, until i get something official its hard to go by a meter from TSN!

But i hope they get a team !

Originally posted by Dren
    hmm, until i get something official its hard to go by a meter from TSN!

But i hope they get a team !
    The majority of the rumours surround the likelihood of the Atlanta Thrashers being moved to Winnipeg for next season.

Not only are the rumours regarding the NHL, the Atlanta ownership group and the potential owners in Winnipeg, but also the announcement of a few major hotel/restaurant/commercial developments around the MTS Centre.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

i know teams will always goto whatever city because of the investors but when you see some of the hockey games in these south-eastern US states, the attendance is pitiful, so many empty seats even during early playoff games if the team makes it.

bring that stuff up to almost any CDN city that doesnt already have a team, it would be packed everynight i bet regardless of W:L ratio

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Until I see something from the NHL that says explicitly that a team is going to Winnipeg, I'm chalking this up to media hype. Don't get me wrong, I hope Winnipeg gets a team, but I don't think the league has ever made any clear indications that it was in the plans.

Originally posted by sputnik

The majority of the rumours surround the likelihood of the Atlanta Thrashers being moved to Winnipeg for next season.

Not only are the rumours regarding the NHL, the Atlanta ownership group and the potential owners in Winnipeg, but also the announcement of a few major hotel/restaurant/commercial developments around the MTS Centre.
    True...but still how would these developments around the MTS centre know "more" than the rest of the world?

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Until I see something from the NHL that says explicitly that a team is going to Winnipeg, I'm chalking this up to media hype. Don't get me wrong, I hope Winnipeg gets a team, but I don't think the league has ever made any clear indications that it was in the plans.
    The league (and ownership groups) will say nothing until the deal is done. Why would they go out an jump the gun announcing something that isn't done yet?

Bill Daly was recently interviewed by an Atlanta newspaper and he certainly didn't speak too confidently about the Thrashers playing in Atlanta next year and he also dodged a bunch of questions.

There is definitely more than just media hype here and I have a feeling there will be an announcement before the end of June.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...scuing-others/

Originally posted by Dren
    True...but still how would these developments around the MTS centre know "more" than the rest of the world?
    One of the developments (boutique hotel and commercial block) is being proposed by a firm (Longboat Development Corp) that is owned partially by David Thomson.

David Thomson (Canada's richest man) is one of the major investors of True North Sports Entertainment who owns the MTS Centre, Manitoba Moose and potentially a new NHL franchise.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...121764919.html

There will never be another Canadian team in the NHL. As much as I'd to see Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Toronto have a 2nd team similar to NY, there will never be another Canadian team in the NHL.

Reason? Goddamn Gary Bettman. That's the fucking reason.

2007 - Jim Basillie tries to move Preds to Hamilton. Plan killed off.
    2010 - Jim Basillie tries to move Coyotes to Hamilton. Plan killed off.

Even in 95 and 96 when Quebec and Winnipeg were in financial trouble with their teams, Bettman did nothing to help them keep the teams where they are. Instead he would much rather prefer to move and implement teams where there is no fan base and no snow. He'd rather throw NHL money into Phoenix and watch them fail then sell them to Basillie for 212.5 million and move them to Hamilton.

Atlanta had an NHL team before, Atlanta Flames. Goddamn team didn't do well the first time and was moved to Calgary. Still, he'd rather toss another team into Atlanta jsut to watch them fail...again.

Until Bettman dies and leaves the NHL, i'll never believe any speculatin of another possible Canadian NHL team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by BokCh0y

Until Bettman dies
    ahhhh...

...a guy can dream, can't he?

edit- I mean about Bettman dying, not about a team coming to Canada-you're spot-on about that.

Balsillie is an idiot. He went in under the NHL and tried to forcibly take over the team without even consulting the league.

He had press conferences, got architects to redesign the Copps Coliseum and tried selling seasons tickets before he even had the blessing from the NHL team to buy (nevermind move) the team.

David Thomson and Mark Chipman have been working with the NHL the entire time and haven't said a word publicly. However the NHL had indicated their involvement in the process and have said that Winnipeg is a suitable city for an NHL team. That said, neither will confirm that anything is currently pending for next season. That really is to be expected, all corporate takeovers are quiet until the day everything is official.

Until Bettman dies and leaves the NHL, i'll never believe any speculatin of another possible Canadian NHL team.
    Bettman isn't against another Canadian team. He is still just holding onto his dream of the NHL in the US being a huge market for TV viewers and advertising. Another team in Canada doesn't gain the NHL anymore money for the league in terms of sponsorship or broadcast rights cash.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Does Winnipeg have enough to support a team nowdays?
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Originally posted by flipstah

Probably not. I hear billionaires like David Thomson just like spending $200+ million on a hockey team because they get bored of making money and want to lose a bit for a decade or two.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Probably not. I hear billionaires like David Thomson just like spending $200+ million on a hockey team because they get bored of making money and want to lose a bit for a decade or two.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

I would say it does. Its a slowly growing city. but things there don't go down when there is a recession like the rest of the country.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Tons of billionaires bought a team and ended up losing money.... why did you think the teams are for sale?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Nothing is concrete... but my roommate grew up with someone who's married into the Chipman family and we were out having drinks this week (in Winnipeg), he said the deals been in the works for months, as they expected Phoenix to stay another year, but the media has always been hyping the coyotes/jets saga.

There will never be another Canadian team in the NHL. As much as I'd to see Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Toronto have a 2nd team similar to NY, there will never be another Canadian team in the NHL.

Reason? Goddamn Gary Bettman. That's the fucking reason.

Even in 95 and 96 when Quebec and Winnipeg were in financial trouble with their teams, Bettman did nothing to help them keep the teams where they are. Instead he would much rather prefer to move and implement teams where there is no fan base and no snow. He'd rather throw NHL money into Phoenix and watch them fail then sell them to Basillie for 212.5 million and move them to Hamilton.

Atlanta had an NHL team before, Atlanta Flames. Goddamn team didn't do well the first time and was moved to Calgary. Still, he'd rather toss another team into Atlanta jsut to watch them fail...again.

Yes, there will be another team Canadian team in the NHL, you're exaggerating to get your point across, which I agree is, Bettman is the problem. I'm pretty sure there's a price on his head here in Winnipeg.

Bettman is trying to turn the NHL into a league like the NFL or MLB, but the US markets just don't support hockey, they never have and likely won't for a long time. It's a different culture in the southern states.

Balsillie is an idiot. He went in under the NHL and tried to forcibly take over the team without even consulting the league.

He had press conferences, got architects to redesign the Copps Coliseum and tried selling seasons tickets before he even had the blessing from the NHL team to buy (nevermind move) the team.

David Thomson and Mark Chipman have been working with the NHL the entire time and haven't said a word publicly. However the NHL had indicated their involvement in the process and have said that Winnipeg is a suitable city for an NHL team. That said, neither will confirm that anything is currently pending for next season. That really is to be expected, all corporate takeovers are quiet until the day everything is official.

Bettman isn't against another Canadian team. He is still just holding onto his dream of the NHL in the US being a huge market for TV viewers and advertising. Another team in Canada doesn't gain the NHL anymore money for the league in terms of sponsorship or broadcast rights cash.
    Yes, J.B. went about it all wrong. I don't know what he was thinking, probably that since he's a billionaire that he can power his way into the NHL, well he's fucked himself for as long as Bettman is commissioner and probably for life, because he's pissed off all the owners. Not one of them voted in favor of him buying a team, because they all stick together like a gang.

The word is the NHL wants 3 year commitments on season tickets. When they give the word, I'll be one of the ones fighting to get the best seats I can.

Yes, Winnipeg has 700k people, but it doesn't have 1/4 of the amenities/business/attractions that a city like Calgary has. Still... there's gonna be a lot of support for the team.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I'd actually cheer for them.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Originally posted by Jlude

Yes, Winnipeg has 700k people, but it doesn't have 1/4 of the amenities/business/attractions that a city like Calgary has. Still... there's gonna be a lot of support for the team.

Winnipeg has tons to do in the summer time. With the excellent beachs, and cottage country which Calgary doesn't have. as well the weather is much better,a nd the close distance to the us border many people do that during the summer as well.
    But during the winters there isn't much to do, therefore people will be willing to support a NHL team.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast