Quantcast
Know of a place or person in Calgary that does Auto to Manual conversions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Know of a place or person in Calgary that does Auto to Manual conversions?

Default Know of a place or person in Calgary that does Auto to Manual conversions?

I know its a pretty big job, most transmission shops that rebuild trannys wont even touch conversions. I know a couple people who want to get this done, acuras. They can get all the parts needed easily. I know many will suggest for them to just sell their current cars and get a manual but they dont want to because of how much money theyve dropped into it. New paint job, upgraded suspension, CAI, etc, plus they want to avoid the hassle of selling. So theyd rather just go buy the parts for a good price from A1 and get someone to do the swap for them. They know it wont be cheap but are willing to pay for it to be done by the right person.
    Last edited by maxwinedog; 05-13-2011 at 11:48 PM.

its definitely going to have to be a honda shop. No transmission shop will touch a swap because it isn't really a transmission job. your friends need to find a honda shop that will be able to deal with sourcing the correct parts (pedal assembly, mounts, flywheel, clutch package, transmission etc). Then on top of that you run into electronic issues once all the automatic tranny sensors are no longer supplying input so you need a shop that can fabricate emulators or source different ecus to solve the problem.

most generic shops as you've noticed are going to shy away from this kind of job because its going to be a huge headache for them for little payout.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

it doesnt have to be a "honda" shop. Its actually pretty straight forward if you have all the parts. I would say most shops with real mechanics can do it. As long as you are willing to pay, shops will do them.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Shaz at delta auto

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    it doesnt have to be a "honda" shop. Its actually pretty straight forward if you have all the parts. I would say most shops with real mechanics can do it. As long as you are willing to pay, shops will do them.
    the only reason I suggested a honda shop is due to the fact that each car comes with its own quirks when doing a standard swap, which you don't want to have to pay a shop to learn. you want a shop that has done it on that car or a similar car before as if they haven't you are going to be paying for a lot of wasted time figuring stuff out.

just out of curiosity how many standard swaps have you done?? sounds like you've done a ton, but my experience has been contrary, its not always a completely straight forward process.

My Ride
    1990 240sx

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    98% of technicians can do a auto to manual swap. 98% of general shops wont touch this job, because there not going to make money off it. your best bet is to find a peformance shop, and you will most likley pay by the hour.

as for how complicated it is, it depends on what year it is. if its obd1 its a breeze. you can run a manual tranny off a auto pcm. if its 1996+ and obd2 or CAN. its a very different story, and its going to get expensive.

tell them to put their huge money investments of a CAI and a suspension on a new manual car
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

I think your only option unless you want to spend some serious $$ is to DIY or if thats not possible sell your auto and buy and manual car.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

Originally posted by chkolny541
    tell them to put their huge money investments of a CAI and a suspension on a new manual car
    [u forgot the paint job man.]
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

A performance shop, like Vex Performance, can do it.....

It will be very expensive, and as mentioned before, if it's ODB II you might as well do a complete build and get a stand alone ECU with a tune.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

rzr_sharp did an auto to manual swap on his 240. I think autodream may have done it for him. I could be wrong though he did do a lot of the work himself.

My Ride
    M3/C300

Garage Box.

Talk to Paul or Philip.

They do lots of custom work.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Whatever happend to Mr_ET (or however you spell it), Etienne? He did side work that was really good, he seemed very proficient.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Talon tsi awd

Default Re: Know of a place or person in Calgary that does Auto to Manual conversions?

Originally posted by maxwinedog
    upgraded suspension, CAI, etc, plus they want to avoid the hassle of selling.
    So they would rather spend thousands of dollars getting the swap done, rather then losing 500 in suspension and a 50 dollar air filter? Possibly they could sell the car for higher, if the mods were desirable to someone

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 10:15 AM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

^

That's too bad, he was awesome. Very knowledgeable/skilled. Does Quebec have to steal EVERYTHING from the west???
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Default Re: Re: Know of a place or person in Calgary that does Auto to Manual conversions?

Originally posted by Troll-ol
    So they would rather spend thousands of dollars getting the swap done, rather then losing 500 in suspension and a 50 dollar air filter? Possibly they could sell the car for higher, if the mods were desirable to someone
    K i brought this up with my bud and its not just the CAI and and tint job and suspension. He said the reason why he dont want to sell the car (aside from having just got a new custom paint job etc), is cause the cars value is negative right now because not long ago he had a minor fender bender in parking lot and went through insurance for it and the other party was billed 100% for it because the other part was at fault. So even though his car is 100% perfectly fixed up professionally, it would obviously show up when someone runs the Vin #.

He added the pros and cons going both routes and its going to be cheaper to pay someone to do the swap than to take a 80-90% loss on the car itself. He said he will not sell the car because of this. Plus his custom paint job, tinted windows, CAI, upgraded suspension. Plus he just got new rims and new tires for it.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention he has a $1900 sound system in his car so he really doesnt want to lose it and have to rebuy everything over again.

So ya, NOW do you know why he doesnt want to sell the car?
    Last edited by maxwinedog; 05-21-2011 at 01:07 PM.

ok my buddy said he called up auto dream (thanks to whomever in this thread recommended them). And they will do it no problem for $1000-1500. Thats a pretty good price if you ask me. It will take them 2-4 days to do and booking 3 weeks from now.

All the parts will cost him $1000, so $2000-2500 including labour is pretty decent. Sure a helluva lot better than selling the car for a 90% loss and losing $8000-9000 then have to re-do all the mods over again.

ok, PLEASE fill us in as to what kinda of acura this is, b/c i cant wrap my head around this 90% loss that you keep claiming due to a minor fender bender and losing 8-9k.

And please post some before/after pictures, because for 2k this may be entertaining
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

Originally posted by chkolny541
    ok, PLEASE fill us in as to what kinda of acura this is, b/c i cant wrap my head around this 90% loss that you keep claiming due to a minor fender bender and losing 8-9k.

And please post some before/after pictures, because for 2k this may be entertaining
    Acura RSX 01.

They quoted $1280 for the labour and roughly $1000 for the tranny and all parts from A1 Autobody. Except the clutch kit, master and slave cylinder apparently its best to buy brand new so anyone know of a good place to buy these parts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast