Quantcast
City looking at tool to help prosecute owners of loud vehicles... - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: City looking at tool to help prosecute owners of loud vehicles...

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

I wonder if city buses would pass?
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    "I don't just like it. I love it," said Ald. John Mar, who has led council's bid to toughen the city's noise bylaw and determine ways to enforce it on cars, motorcycles and trucks. "It's good for those guys on their hotrods who think louder is more cool and more masculine."

sounds like someone was picked on in high school and is out for revenge. however i agree with what someone else said, limit it at certain hours of the day, during the daytime it doesnt matter to me so much, its at night with what everyone else said, loud harleys, diesels while my kid is sleeping is what pisses me off.
    Haha, thats what I thought too. Maybe they should lead by example and show us all their vehicles can pass before they put this on the street.

I would have zero issues with enforcing between say 10PM and 8AM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    "I don't just like it. I love it," said Ald. John Mar, who has led council's bid to toughen the city's noise bylaw and determine ways to enforce it on cars, motorcycles and trucks. "It's good for those guys on their hotrods who think louder is more cool and more masculine."

sounds like someone was picked on in high school and is out for revenge. however i agree with what someone else said, limit it at certain hours of the day, during the daytime it doesnt matter to me so much, its at night with what everyone else said, loud harleys, diesels while my kid is sleeping is what pisses me off.
    Originally posted by FraserB

Haha, thats what I thought too. Maybe they should lead by example and show us all their vehicles can pass before they put this on the street.

I would have zero issues with enforcing between say 10PM and 8AM.
    But my daughter goes to bed at 7:30pm. Can we move it to then? And sometimes I'm working nights, and I sleep to 2pm, so could we extend it to then? Oh, and I forgot, I usually put my daughter down for a nap at 2-4, so if we could have it in place then too.

Lots of parents out there, and lots of people who work nights. Just because it's convenient to your schedule, doesn't mean it is to the hundreds of thousands of families in Calgary.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Fstst Prdctn Sdn N Th Wrld

I'm all for enforcing the noise bylaw...nothing I hate more than a straightpiped Harley, and it seems that every monkey that has one has to show off how loud it is.

But...how about have the police actually do the police work as opposed to yet another expensive automated roadside device? For the price of one unit, several cops could be supplied with Db meters. Just have them focus on targetting suspected noise violators...same end result...less expense.

Plus, these automated tickets would be easily defended against:

"It wasn't me. I remember this event very well, there was another car/bike/truck that was in front of me who floored it and I was amazed at how loud his car/bike/truck was...then I remembered that there was a "noise cam" right where I was driving, and I wondered if that noise was perhaps enough to trigger the camera and cause Me to get the ticket instead. I even made a note of it on a piece of paper...just in case. I didn't get a plate number, but I remember because it was a beautiful black '69 Chevelle that was clearly souped up for racing."

=reasonable doubt = thrown out

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

How about using resources to pull over large trucks deemed over 30% unsafe more than a just couple times a year rather than waste resources on noise tickets. I'm all for an officer pulling a hog over and giving him a ticket for loud exhaust but road safety should be a higher priority than white collar whiners rights to a noise free city. IMO this is just another way for the city to exploit taxpayers wallets as they can set up speed traps with noise meters and increase profits; "If you can't get them for speeding get them for something else".

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by codetrap

But my daughter goes to bed at 7:30pm. Can we move it to then? And sometimes I'm working nights, and I sleep to 2pm, so could we extend it to then? Oh, and I forgot, I usually put my daughter down for a nap at 2-4, so if we could have it in place then too.

Lots of parents out there, and lots of people who work nights. Just because it's convenient to your schedule, doesn't mean it is to the hundreds of thousands of families in Calgary.
    Isnt FraserB just using the time frame that's already stated by the city as the time that excessive noise (ie. Loud construction, outdoor parties, etc) end? It doesnt seem, to me, that FraserB just randomly picked times that best suited him. Theyre actual times as stated by the City, no?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by heavyD
    How about using resources to pull over large trucks deemed over 30% unsafe more than a just couple times a year rather than waste resources on noise tickets. I'm all for an officer pulling a hog over and giving him a ticket for loud exhaust but road safety should be a higher priority than white collar whiners rights to a noise free city. IMO this is just another way for the city to exploit taxpayers wallets as they can set up speed traps with noise meters and increase profits; "If you can't get them for speeding get them for something else".
    so blue collar workers are all in favor of allowing loud bikes/cars? Just because I work downtown in an office doesn't change shit all about my view on people that feel the need to make their car as loud as possible. I find it hilarious that some "blue collar" workers think "white collars" are just a bunch of uptight snobby pricks.

I find it hilarious that these people actually think they have a leg to stand on like ZOMG its my right to personal expression, well how about I walk down your street yelling as loud as I can at all hours of the day/night and see how you like my form of personal expression- funny thing is that still wouldn't even hit half the dB levels as a straight piped harley or a deisel at full throttle with a 6 inch unmuffled exhaust.

If you live in a high density area like a city you agree to respect those around you (or pay the consequences). As some people STILL can't figure out, if you want to do anything you want without regard for anyone around, GO LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE, go find a secluded part of the world where you can pretend that your wants are the only things that are important. If everyone lived by their own rules society would fail.
    Last edited by J-hop; 05-18-2011 at 01:18 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Isnt FraserB just using the time frame that's already stated by the city as the time that excessive noise (ie. Loud construction, outdoor parties, etc) end? It doesnt seem, to me, that FraserB just randomly picked times that best suited him. Theyre actual times as stated by the City, no?
    No idea. I was just using his time's as a jumping point to highlight that the 10PM to 8AM timeframe doesn't suit everyone. Further thinking on it, its simpler to just make it a total timeframe with no exceptions as it will just simplify the whole issue.

"What do you mean I can't ride my hog after 10? What if I'm home late? What if.. what if what if.." It'd be like constantly talking to Modelexis.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

No idea. I was just using his time's as a jumping point to highlight that the 10PM to 8AM timeframe doesn't suit everyone. Further thinking on it, its simpler to just make it a total timeframe with no exceptions as it will just simplify the whole issue.
    so no more lawnmowers either then? everyone has to cut their grass with kitchen scissors?

take a drive around between 8am-10pm then take a drive between 10pm-8am, tell me which has more traffic?

majority of people work day jobs, are active during the day... not night. why should we bend over for the minority?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by J-hop

so blue collar workers are all in favor of allowing loud bikes/cars? Just because I work downtown in an office doesn't change shit all about my view on people that feel the need to make their car as loud as possible. I find it hilarious that some "blue collar" workers think "white collars" are just a bunch of uptight snobby pricks.

I find it hilarious that these people actually think they have a leg to stand on like ZOMG its my right to personal expression, well how about I walk down your street yelling as loud as I can at all hours of the day/night and see how you like my form of personal expression- funny thing is that still wouldn't even hit half the dB levels as a straight piped harley or a deisel at full throttle with a 6 inch unmuffled exhaust.

If you live in a high density area like a city you agree to respect those around you (or pay the consequences). As some people STILL can't figure out, if you want to do anything you want without regard for anyone around, GO LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE, go find a secluded part of the world where you can pretend that your wants are the only things that are important. If everyone lived by their own rules society would fail.
    Where did I say that loud vehicles were acceptable? The city is basing this on an incredibly small amount of complaints and over half of Calgarians are against it. You can be damn sure that this being forced through by white collar because if it was the blue collar people backing it it wouldn't get done by the city.

I'm all for bikers and kids with fart can exhausts getting tickets but I'm worried about where they will draw the line and how far they will go to pick up additional revenue. My stock Mustang isn't the quitetest of automobiles and I don't want to be stuck subsidizing the city more than I already do. It's a city after all and if you want quiet and peaceful you should have picked a small town or country. This city is getting out of control with it's enforcement on drivers as it is.

Well your "white collar whiners right to a noise free city" made it seem like blue collars weren't whining about loud vehicles just as much.

I don't think your stock mustang would ever have issues unless you opened her up and screamed by a cop at 5000 rpm, which is again unnecessary so you shouldn't ever have any issues with it.

Like I said, living in a city means you agree to have some regard for people around you. If you think "i never agreed to this i'm going to do whatever I want" then you pay the price, plain a simple
    Last edited by J-hop; 05-18-2011 at 02:03 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by ercchry

so no more lawnmowers either then? everyone has to cut their grass with kitchen scissors?

take a drive around between 8am-10pm then take a drive between 10pm-8am, tell me which has more traffic?

majority of people work day jobs, are active during the day... not night. why should we bend over for the minority?
    LOL. Dude.. where do you live again? This is Canada. Bending over for the "minority" is a national pastime.

Oddly enough, I can hear the lawnmower in my house, but its very faint and muffled. However, I can clearly hear the one modified indian in my basement when he goes by.

As far as the timeframes you're thinking of, I think over the whole time period it probably doesn't make any difference. Both blocks of time have rush hours in them.

My Ride

Originally posted by heavyD
    Where did I say that loud vehicles were acceptable? The city is basing this on an incredibly small amount of complaints and over half of Calgarians are against it. You can be damn sure that this being forced through by white collar because if it was the blue collar people backing it it wouldn't get done by the city.

I'm all for bikers and kids with fart can exhausts getting tickets but I'm worried about where they will draw the line and how far they will go to pick up additional revenue. My stock Mustang isn't the quietest of automobiles and I don't want to be stuck subsidizing the city more than I already do. It's a city after all and if you want quiet and peaceful you should have picked a small town or country. This city is getting out of control with it's enforcement on drivers as it is.
    Dude, now you're just making shit up. Blue collar vs white collar? Wtf? Your fantasy doesn't even hold up to a basic internal consistency test. You're telling me that half the city is against it, and since it's blue vs white, then half the city are white collar workers? Yeah.. sure. There's only what, 140k white collar(office) workers in Calgary? Out of over a million or so?

C'mon man. It's just another stupid tax, and only the stupid will pay it. The rest of us will point and laugh, as usual.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by sexualbanana

thats exactly my point, there is already a noise bylaw, keep it at that and just add the diesel/loud fucks to the list. it will only be enforced if someone complains or theyre out trying to get quota but still, hopefully it reduces the amount of dickheads, especially in residential areas.

give all of them tickets. Hate fucking harleys thinking they are bad ass and hate loud ass mustangs and imports with fartcans being loud as hell thinking they are fast.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Dude, now you're just making shit up. Blue collar vs white collar? Wtf? Your fantasy doesn't even hold up to a basic internal consistency test. You're telling me that half the city is against it, and since it's blue vs white, then half the city are white collar workers? Yeah.. sure. There's only what, 140k white collar(office) workers in Calgary? Out of over a million or so?

C'mon man. It's just another stupid tax, and only the stupid will pay it. The rest of us will point and laugh, as usual.
    No I said it's getting pushed through by the white collars just like the finger trap bridge, the McMahon Stadium noise bylaw (University and Saint Andrews Heights all rich folk with influence), etc. It could be 90% blue collar for it but it wouldn't matter if they didn't have the white collar support where it counts. It only takes a very small amount of rich folk to get things pushed through but thousands of average Joes with real issues get ignored all the time. You can tell with the tiny amounts of complaints that it's the quality of the complainers not the quantity getting this pushed through.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I guess it has been pushed through if I heard right this morning. Good. Fuck em'. They are an incredibly inconsiderate and annoying group.

My Ride

About time , hopefully they start ticketing straight pipe Harleys and trucks.

My Ride
    something green

So you have two bikes side by side riding through the trap, ones a harley with mufflers, ones got hollowed mufflers, which bike is making 96 db noise.
    This is going to be unenforcible if people ride in packs.
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4