Quantcast
Anyone recommend good contractors for a Concrete or Stone Patio and walkway - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone recommend good contractors for a Concrete or Stone Patio and walkway

I'm looking to get some concrete work done as well, just thought I'd ask in this thread since its the same topic. I have a house with a walkout basement so walking from the front of the house to the back is quite steep. I want to put in concrete stairs along the side of the house. I could probably get a small pad done at the top and then step it down to the bottom. Anyone gotten something similar done? I'm hearing this could be quite steep in cost.

Suggestions?

My Ride
    Celica gtfour

Hascon is still around I'm pretty sure, ill get you
    Some contact info ASAP

My Ride
    335i

He's around 403-852-2886
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Try greco and sons they do good work. I do a lot of concrete cleaning and sealing.

403-809-2353 Dan Free estimate for concrete. Stamp,exposed,driveways sidewalks,patio,basements,etc.

Originally posted by Joholiomon
    Try greco and sons they do good work. I do a lot of concrete cleaning and sealing.

Plus One . Louis has the knowledge and experience that very few in this city can match.

Another guy I would look into is Mario @ Concrete Innovations. Second generation concrete expert.

Both passionate in their field and top notch guys.

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Originally posted by blueToy
    Plus One . Louis has the knowledge and experience that very few in this city can match.

Another guy I would look into is Mario @ Concrete Innovations. Second generation concrete expert.

Both passionate in their field and top notch guys.
    I am going to try both these guys and see what they can do. Thanks!
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I think biggest thing is which concrete they use, some shittier concrete won't last and will crack and look like shit after a few years. Stick with the major players

If you talk to Greco, Let him know Jon from lakeside pressure washing recommended you. Not sure if that will help in anyway but I'll be doing his sealing this season.

thanks

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by theken
    I think biggest thing is which concrete they use, some shittier concrete won't last and will crack and look like shit after a few years. Stick with the major players
    +1 and make sure you get the concrete early in the day not the 5-6PM leftover stuff that they may get for half price and have to water down
    Last edited by G-ZUS; 05-06-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Originally posted by theken

Concrete is but one of the many things to watch for in looking for a good concrete contractor. Placing and finishing can be done by almost anyone, but doing it right is a true art form. Being able to " read " the concrete as it dries and react to it when finishing can be the difference between a good looking job and a good looking job that will last a few lifetimes. Also, base prep and even framing are super important. You can put the best mix on a improperly built gravel base and over a few short years it will heave like crazy. As for cracking, thats why they put deep cuts in concrete. Look at the city sidewalks, every four or so feet there are deep cuts to allow for the cracking because all concrete cracks minutely as it dries. It shrinks so they have to prep for it. Major cracking though may be a sign of heaving and a improperly built base.
    On top of that are two other things to look for, although it doesn't affect the concrete itself. One, how much of a mess do they make when they are doing there job. I've seen some contractors who are bulls in a china shop. They show up and dump all their materials everywhere. Tear up the grass with their Bobcats . Dump materials all over the street and are never careful and clean up after themselves. Pigs. Two, how professional are they? Clean and well kept trucks? Equipment? Are they dressed like they have pride in themselves AND their workers? I've even seen concrete guys with a flat of beer on the grass drinking away while they work, cigarette butts and beer cans everywhere. Idiots.

My advice to anyone looking is to get lots of references and actually go look at some of their work. Be aware of the fly-by-nighters, Calgary is filled with them as most folks are gullible when it comes to buying something that they don't know or understand, and there are LOTS of snake oil salespeople here. Again, go see their work and talk to the people. Ask them how things went. Go look at some of the jobs they are working on right now. Is it neat and tidy? Do they belong to the Better Business Bureau ? Do your research.
    Also, if you are looking for the cheapest price, as in everything else, you get the cheapest job. Know what you want and ask lots of questions. What size rebar are they using ? How far apart or they spacing it? As mentioned by theKen ,where are getting their gravel and concrete from ? What are their lead times ? how long will it take ?

For many homes concrete sidewalks, patios and driveways can be thought of as a large investment into the overall package. I find it oddly amusing when folks put so much time and interest in their homes and don't look at the landscaping aspect of it. Ask any realtor, curb appeal is one of the first things people look at when seeing a home. To me at least it should be. Whether you plan to sell it or plant roots for a long time, it pays to do things right the first time. Cheers ...

Too much old thread!
    Check new one at here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2