Quantcast
An eye for an eye.. Literally. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: An eye for an eye.. Literally.

My Ride
    W204

Default An eye for an eye.. Literally.

Iran to blind criminal with acid in 'eye for an eye' justice

Retribution granted to woman who had acid thrown in her face by man she refused to marry

Ameneh Bahrami, who was blinded when a spurned suitor threw acid at her, asked for the same to be inflicted on him. Photograph: Lluis Gene/AFP

In a literal application of the sharia law of an eye for an eye, Iran is ready for the first time to blind a man with acid, after he was found guilty of doing the same to a woman who refused to marry him.

Majid Movahedi, 30, is scheduled to be rendered unconscious in Tehran's judiciary hospital at noon on Saturday while Ameneh Bahrami, his victim, drops acid in both his eyes, her lawyer said.

Bahrami who had asked for an eye for an eye retribution in the court, was disfigured and blinded by Movahedi in 2004 when he threw a jar of acid in her face while she was returning home from work. "He was holding a red container in his hand. He looked into my eyes for a second and threw the contents of the red container into my face," she told the court in 2008.

According to Iranian media, Bahrami's lawyer, Ali Sarafi, has said: "A very good sentence has been given and an appropriate method has been adopted so that the convict will be blinded by few drops of acids in eyes after he is rendered unconscious."

In a highly publicised dossier in November 2008, a criminal court in Tehran ordered qisas (retribution) on Movahedi after he admitted throwing acid at Bahrami, and entitled her to blind him with acid. He was also required to pay compensation to the victim. Bahrami refused to accept the "blood money" and told the court: "Inflict the same life on him that he inflicted on me."

Iranian officials have endorsed the the sentence in the hope of halting an increase in the rate of acid attacks. But human rights activists have warned against an "inhumane" sentence.

The British Foreign Office urged Iran to halt the sentence. "The attack on Ameneh Bahrami in 2004 was a horrific crime," a spokesman said. "However, we are deeply concerned by reports that Majid Movahedi's sentence of being blinded by having acid dripped into his eyes may be carried out.

"The FCO calls on the Iranian authorities to commute this inhumane punishment to an appropriate sentence in line with Iran's international obligations and to cease the practice of corporal punishment for crimes."

Iranian media have reported that Movahedi will be blinded in both eyes but Bahrami, in an interview in 2009, said that the man would be blinded only in one eye because "each man is worth two women" under Iranian law.

"The person who did this deserves to go through the same suffering. Only this way will he understand my pain … my intention is to ask for the application of the law not just for revenge but also so that no other woman will have to go through this. It is to set an example," Bahrami was quoted by the Spanish newspaper ABC as saying.

Bahrami, who has an electronics degree and worked in a medical engineering company before the attack, moved to Spain with the help of the Iranian government where she has undergone a series of unsuccessful operations. She briefly recovered half vision in her right eye in 2007 but an infection blinded her again.

Bahrami has recently published a book in Germany, Eye for an Eye, based on her personal life and her suffering since she was blinded.

In recent months, human rights organisations have expressed alarm over the unprecedented increase of capital punishment in Iran, which last year executed more people than any other country apart from China.
    Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...-criminal-acid
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Wow. My gut reaction to this is good. But it's pretty barbaric. Not really sure where I stand. Part of me thinks fuck yeah, give that scum what he deserves...but the whole eye for an eye old testament argument is archaic.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Freeskier
    but the whole eye for an eye old testament argument is archaic.
    Maybe... but if you were the victim, and you had the choice of your attackers fate?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

This situation is all sorts of fucked up. Part of me wants her to get her revenge, but I wonder if it's the right revenge to get.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

I guess it's one of those "you need to be in the victim's shoes to understand" type of things.

Can someone please explain why these so called "human rights organizations" are so vehemently against true justice? Does the victim not deserve retribution?

The way I see it, having an electronics degree and a stable job demonstrate that she has the full right to refuse this low caste piece of shit. I don't think the punishment goes far enough. For causing irreparable damage to what could have been a successful career and happy family, he should at LEAST be conscious when they drip acid in his eyes to start.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Maybe... but if you were the victim, and you had the choice of your attackers fate?
    Oh I hear ya. I can definitely understand the reaction. I don't think anyone can fault the victim in this.

...but all those religious teachings always encourage looking past revenge, 2 wrongs don't make a right etc etc.

Hope the victim finds some sort of peace through it, or else it's a waste.

Originally posted by e31
    The way I see it, having an electronics degree and a stable job demonstrate that she has the full right to refuse this low caste piece of shit. I don't think the punishment goes far enough. For causing irreparable damage to what could have been a successful career and happy family, he should at LEAST be conscious when they drip acid in his eyes to start.
    So his caste and her degree have something to do with this? It wouldn't matter who they were, this has nothing to do with future career or family potential. But I understand where you're coming from...
    Last edited by Freeskier; 05-17-2011 at 04:11 PM.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Originally posted by e31
    he should at LEAST be conscious when they drip acid in his eyes to start.
    Agreed, if you're going to do it, do it right.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 09:48 AM.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

See that makes me think this isn't so bad...

Fuck they are back asswards about some things.

Default Re: An eye for an eye.. Literally.

Originally posted by clem24
    Iranian officials have endorsed the the sentence in the hope of halting an increase in the rate of acid attacks...
    Acid attacks are a normal thing?

My Ride
    NC1

I'm OK with that.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

where do they get acid? haha

Iranian Tire.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'm with ya Freeskier - I too am torn. But I think that our judgement is clouded by growing up in a society where the punishment is almost never appropriate for the crime.

We put people in jail five years for manslaughter. 15 years for outright murder. Neither of those punishments are remotely close to what I would consider proper retribution for such crimes. In addition, we have only one real punishment: prison. We never touch them or anything, so really, their punishment is their time.

I truly think that if Canada adopted penalties which included physical pain and forcing someone to lose one or more of their senses, limbs, or digits that criminals would think twice about doing some of the things they do.

Repeated theft? Amputate a finger. Rape someone? Castration. Purposely kill someone? Death. And I'm not entirely sure that any of these things should be done with sedatives or drugs of any sort.

It isn't hard living in society... especially one which affords us the rights and freedoms like Canada does. If what I'm talking about were ever implemented (whcih of course it will not be), it would change absolutely nothing for the vast majority of us... just the people that deserve it.

My Ride
    changes every year

fuck ya, im all for it. as for alot of their religiion and rules, most of us in canada cant fathom, but this one is by far the best solution to any crime. whats that saying "do unto you as you have done unto others" or something lol i completely agree that, for any crime an eye for an eye is the #1 solution, except for the obvious they kill your dog but they dont have a dog etc.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Iranian Tire.
    Solid Gold.

But seriously, a man is worth two women in Iranian law....what a bunch of cavemen.
    I guess it's no different here though, where one white guy is worth more than two Iranian ones.

For any crime an eye for an eye is not the number one solution, infact it only works in acts of physical abuse and not even well at that. While I agree what he did to her was horrible, it is stupid to promote such a barbaric system of retribution just because an equally barbaric book promotes it. Eye for an eye is as outdated of the rest of the Qur'an's theories of creation IMO

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Originally posted by Kennyredline

Solid Gold.

But seriously, a man is worth two women in Iranian law....what a bunch of cavemen.
    I guess it's no different here though, where one white guy is worth more than two Iranian ones.
    Are you trying to tell me if I killed an Iranian guy I'd only get half a sentence?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by derpderp

Are you trying to tell me if I killed an Iranian guy I'd only get half a sentence?
    No, if you killed an Iranian WOMAN you'd only get half a sentence. AY0!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast