Quantcast
Alberta issues province-wide fire ban - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta issues province-wide fire ban

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Default Alberta issues province-wide fire ban

Should make for an interesting May Long.

The Alberta government imposed a province-wide fire ban Tuesday in response to the high wildfire risks and windy conditions.

The ban, issued late Tuesday afternoon, takes effect immediately.

"The risk of fire in this province remains extreme really across especially northern Alberta. and as we head into the long weekend, its crucial that we minimize the risk of additional fires starting," Premier Ed Stelmach said.

Alberta residents are now prohibited from using wood, briquette and propane/natural gas fires including those in designated fire facilities and portable fire pits. Gas and propane stoves approved for cooking are still allowed.

The only exceptions to the ban are federal lands where there are no fire control agreements and First Nation reserves outside of forest protection areas.

Premier Ed Stelmach discussed the fire ban and the situation in Slave Lake at a news conference Tuesday afternoon. Premier Ed Stelmach discussed the fire ban and the situation in Slave Lake at a news conference Tuesday afternoon. CBCUrban municipalities are also exempt, although the province is encouraging them to impose bans as well. The City of Edmonton issued a partial fire ban earlier Tuesday, which prohibits open air burning, fires in park areas and fireworks.

Legal backyard fire pits are still allowed. City officials are urging all residents to take care using backyard fire pits, barbecues and cigarettes.

A ban was also issued late Tuesday on open flames inside Calgary's city limits. Barbeques are exempt, officials said. Breaching the ban carries a fine of $5,000.

There are currently 100 wildfires in the province with 23 of them burning out of control.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-fire-ban.html

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

oh sure there will be the usual dickheads who think it is their right to have a firepit or whatever in conditions like these...

My Ride

Originally posted by ricosuave
    oh sure there will be the usual dickheads who think it is their right to have a firepit or whatever in conditions like these...
    Totally. My facebook wall is full of dumb rednecks pissing and moaning about it.

I imagine it will be repealed if it does rain as predicted, but we'll see.

My Ride
    GTI

Legal backyard fire pits are still allowed. City officials are urging all residents to take care using backyard fire pits, barbecues and cigarettes.
    A ban was also issued late Tuesday on open flames inside Calgary's city limits. Barbeques are exempt, officials said. Breaching the ban carries a fine of $5,000.

No booze, no fires, no nice weather, lots of snow in the bush...... why is anyone going camping may long.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I'm going to bc with the rest of the non-rednecks lol.

I would have liked to go camping, but its usually way too friggin cold for my liking. I have a cold job, I dont need a cold weekend.

My Ride

Originally posted by Cos
    No booze, no fires, no nice weather, lots of snow in the bush...... why is anyone going camping may long.
    People bitch too much about the booze bans. It's only in like 10 campsites. It creates a quiet family environment for all the people to go where they don't have to deal with a party and can get to bed early and all that other kinda lame shit that you or I don't care for in camping.

That being said, I never really feel bad blowing off May Long. I'm much happier going out for a non-holiday weekend. There's too many cops, too many people, too much noise, too much drunk driving, and WAY too many people who don't know how to camp responsibly. It's almost always just a bunch of fucking assholes who treat Alberta campsites like shit. I get pissed right off driving away from our camp site and seeing all the fucking garbage laying around. Everyone we go with follows the code of "leave it as you found it". And the worst part is that it's NOT MUCH WORK to just do a 30 minute cleanup on the day you leave and make sure you get everything off the ground.

Something about May Long just attracts all the dicks.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Meh.

The ban is more of a sympathy move. And it's not raining all over the province, only the south.

Firepit should never be allowed within city limits in the first place. Especially seeing how close houses are built these days.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

In one swift bureaucratic move, Ed Stelmach stopped all raging wildfires in Alberta. Hopefully the fires don't troll us and open a new account...

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
    In one swift bureaucratic move, Ed Stelmach stopped all raging wildfires in Alberta. Hopefully the fires don't troll us and open a new account...
    Maybe he should close new registrations too.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Meh.

The ban is more of a sympathy move. And it's not raining all over the province, only the south.

Firepit should never be allowed within city limits in the first place. Especially seeing how close houses are built these days.
    Oh NOES!!! It's so dry in my back yard that we'd better not let the baby breathE on the grass or she'll cause spontaneous combustion and burn down the whole city!

Call me a dickhead if you want ricosuave, but I'm pretty sure I'm responsible enough to have a fire in my firepit in my back yard without burning down half the city. Banning me from roasting weenies in my backyard because of what's happening in Slave Lake is ridiculous. Even Edmonton didn't even bother with it. It's just yet another example of someone trying to make political points at the expense of everyday people. "Oh, look at us! We're DOING SOMETHING!!!!" I guess it doesn't matter that there's only been one house fire in the past 3 years caused by a freestanding fire thingy that a guy had on his deck burning in high winds. But hey, we're "doing something!"

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by codetrap; 05-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by Benny

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

No way...
    The conditions are terrible for camping May long?
    This is shocking news...

Why on earth so many of my friends go every year is beyond me and I love camping

My Ride
    06 WRX

Originally posted by Hakkola
    Seems only propane/natural gas fire pits are allowed:

"Liquid fuel barbecues and fire pits (propane and natural gas)"

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgar...age_rss=203757

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by thrasher22

Why on earth so many of my friends go every year is beyond me and I love camping
    I was going to go... but fuck it, I'm watching chump car all weekend. It looks like rain and cold weather everywhere south of Red Deer, screw that!

A fire ban for Calgary is just stupid. It's not dry, everything is greening up nicely and rain is forecast for the whole weekend. There's just not the high risk in a city like there is in the sticks anyway. Just overkill on the city's part.
    Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I am heading out to BC... i camp every may long and i will not let a little bs ruin it this year.

Originally posted by Benny

werd, my gf and I stopped going camping on may long and just head to the parents cabin now. Every year it used to be a non stop gong show, camp grounds getting trashed, belligerent people running through your campsite in the middle of the night, fights breaking out etc.

It is unfortunate that people can't just sit by a fire and get shit faced and have a good time anymore, now they have to make it known to the whole campground that they are having a great time at everyone else's expense.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

Originally posted by codetrap
    Call me a dickhead if you want ricosuave, but I'm pretty sure I'm responsible enough to have a fire in my firepit in my back yard without burning down half the city. Banning me from roasting weenies in my backyard because of what's happening in Slave Lake is ridiculous.
    No, I'll call you a dickhead because it is obvious you didnt read the quote from the paper.

"The Alberta government imposed a province-wide fire ban Tuesday in response to the high wildfire risks and windy conditions."

The Alberta government issued the ban, and it is NOT just because of slave lake, its because the conditions are dry in MOST OF THE PROVINCE. Saying that you are Joe Firepit doesn't mean anything to me. Sure, maybe it will rain slightly on the weekend, but it's still dry in many areas, so I imagine that is why they are issuing the ban, not to piss you off personally.

PS Thanks for proving my point.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

No, I'll call you a dickhead because it is obvious you didnt read the quote from the paper.

"The Alberta government imposed a province-wide fire ban Tuesday in response to the high wildfire risks and windy conditions."

The Alberta government issued the ban, and it is NOT just because of slave lake, its because the conditions are dry in MOST OF THE PROVINCE. Saying that you are Joe Firepit doesn't mean anything to me. Sure, maybe it will rain slightly on the weekend, but it's still dry in many areas, so I imagine that is why they are issuing the ban, not to piss you off personally.

PS Thanks for proving my point.
    Actually its supposed to rain fairly steady until next Tuesday. I know if I have a neighbor who wants to have a gathering around there "contained" firepit I won't have a issue with it, I may even join him.

Big difference between idiots in the bush lighting fires and Joe smuck having a family gathering around the fire.

Just because steady Eddie makes a statement doesn't mean I won't let common sense prevail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast