Quantcast
For you former blackberry users who switched to iphone - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For you former blackberry users who switched to iphone

Default For you former blackberry users who switched to iphone

How have you found the switch? Any of you gone back to BB? I finally switched to iphone 4 yesterday (for the time being) and even though im going to give it some time first to try out before fully converting over, so far i love it. Having used BBs for many years, its quite the drastic switch. So used to the QWERTY keyboard, so the touch screen will take some adjusting.

Btw: Any way to get rid of the key popup on iphone 4?

I had pretty much every Blackberry since the Pearl, made the switch to iPhone 4 about 5 months ago and haven't looked back.

I miss BBM of course, and typing on a physical keyboard is much easier. Typing on the touchscreen still creates a lot of errors, and BB has push email which is nice.

But other than that, there's no question iPhone blows BB out of the water. It's a better multimedia device and I use it for work as well. It just feels next gen compared to BB, no other way to describe it.

As for key pop-up, can you elaborate on what you mean by that? Do you mean the passcode? You can disable that in settings.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I miss my BB so much, after more than a year I still can't type on this phone properly. My first suggestion is to Jailbreak your iPhone or it will be as bland as a BB stock. Once jailbroken download apps to your hearts content and customize everything!
    Overall I don't think I will be getting another IPhone to be honest. Likely I will try a new product or get something with a keyboard! I hate typing on a touch screen so much!

My Ride
    BOOSTANG,CADDY,Z32

I miss my bbm like no tomorrow. i am actually thinking of switching back

BOOSTIN
    I Love me some turbo action

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

went from blackberry to iphone, loved it. just got a free BB torch from work, such a low quality POS. the screen scratches sooo easily and calls drop like no other. I still have my iphone but why pay for a plan when i have a free one?

went from a BB 8800 to an iPhone three or so years ago, and still cannot type properly on the touch screen. BB was much better for typing, iPhone better for everything else (except the lack of a time stamp on every message)

Originally posted by anarchy
    Ieels next gen compared to BB, no other way to describe it.

As for key pop-up, can you elaborate on what you mean by that? Do you mean the passcode? You can disable that in settings.
    Whenever I type, i have a popup come up on each letter than i press. Want to disable it cause it throws me off.

Originally posted by blackpeople
    I miss my bbm like no tomorrow. i am actually thinking of switching back
    I can't wait for the bold touch to release!
    I'd say there wasn't really anything bad about the iphone itself though.. just personal preference..

Originally posted by maxwinedog

Whenever I type, i have a popup come up on each letter than i press. Want to disable it cause it throws me off.
    Ohh you mean how it zooms in on each letter as you type it.

Sorry, can't help you there. I don't believe there's a way to disable, but wouldn't be surprised if there was some third party workaround on Cydia somewhere.

i went to android for a little.
    had to go back.

Physical keyboard FTW!

I had one of those original BB's with the wheel on the side, before the pearl, then went BB world. I went through 2 original Iphones from the states, broke first one, gave up on the second one. Thought it was a cool toy, but the BB was a better work tool and suited my life style more.

I went with a Iphone 3g before I gave up and went to a BB Bold because again i missed BBM, the push email, and physical keyboard. lost that and went to the current BB curve.

I have seen droid phones in the states with full keyboards, and have heard droid will be getting BBM as an app soon. If that make it into Canada I will seriously consider it.
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

Doesn't the iPhone have push e-mail? Mine seems to do that, and has an option to "push". I get my e-mails always within a minute or so of them being sent.

Also for you BB guys thinking of going back, have you tried WhatsApp? I've talked to a lot of former BB users who prefer it to BBM.

I also used to prefer a physical keyboard but can now type way faster on the iPhone.

I did the opposite, went from iPhone to BB. I used the iPhone for 4 years, only reason I switched was my phone started to crap out, but it served me well for 4 years. Since switching to BB I haven't looked back, and don't think I will ever go back to an iPhone.

for those of you who want a blackberry style physical keyboard but with android as an OS...what do you think of the Motorola Droid Pro?

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...US-EN.overview

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by variance; 05-18-2011 at 02:22 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by variance
    for those of you who want a blackberry style physical keyboard but with android as an OS...what do you think of the Motorola Droid Pro
    looks huge. desire z ftw

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

I had two Blackberries in the past, then I went from the original Bold to the iPhone 3GS and now iPhone 4. I do miss how the email system just works. I think that's the biggest problem switchers run into. Like right now I'll be away from the office, and my freight broker will email me with an emergency, sometimes I can't email back (maybe it's my office's email setup not sure) but I remember back when I had a BB it worked flawlessly. BBM I don't miss it as most of my friends and clients are on iPhones or Android now, and initially that was easily replaced by text messaging (I really don't need to know if they read it, if they respond that probably means they did) And even if I run into a BB user, they just text me and it's the same, or call (I think most of us forget the phone has a phone feature)

Touch screen typing, you just need to get use to that, and iPhone's autocorrect can get annoying. But after time you'll get use to it, took me a week or two as well.

One thing I don't miss...pulling the battery out and waiting two years for it to reboot.

But it seems like with all the Android, iPhone and Windows Phone 7, RIM really seems ancient.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

As a former regional account manager with Rogers, I went through practically every blackberry incarnation before switching to 3GS. I would conservatively say I've had at least 10 different models going back to the 950. Whether I switch to android or stick with ios is unknown at this poit but I definitely don't see myself going back to RIM.

The only advantage I can still perceive with Blackberry is the BES but it doesn't even apply to most users.

Originally posted by jwslam

looks huge. desire z ftw
    looks big in this photo, but on par with most smart phones out there. what makes me interested in this phone is the vertical blackberry-type keyboard, i dont like the vertical keyboards at all.
    Last edited by variance; 05-18-2011 at 04:09 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

i was a hard core BB fanatic, and left it behind about a year ago now. I have the occasional pangs for BBM, but otherwise, I am happy I don't use it anymore.

BB's build quality has been shit since the 8830. when thier product quality comes back to snuff, I might consider going back.

And my whole job revolves around cell phones. I know them inside, outside and backwards.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    BMW X5

I had a Blackberry since the side wheel also, then pearl, then numerous curves, and lastly the second gen Bold.

Recently switched to the SGS. Definitely don't miss BBM, texting is just fine for me.

Really, really, really miss the keyboard but I must say that this is the only thing that I miss about the Blackberry. Everything else is way better on the Android. I do really like the touchscreen for everything else besides typing though.

That Motorolla looks like it would be exactly what I need. I'm gonna stick it out with the SGS until the fall and hopefully some more alternatives will come out. The new BB Bold touch (Dakota) actually looks interesting...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast