Quantcast
bike commuting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bike commuting

Default bike commuting

Who else here commutes by bicycle?

I thought we could have a thread to share tips, tricks, routes and even rants.

Ill post some more details about my commute later but thought Id get this started. Over the past couple of years Ive really noticed a lot more people riding into downtown and the bike storage room in my building has been getting more packed. I commute in from the SW and leave early enough that there isnt a lot of cars or bikes out. Though a few times Ive taken a bit of a detour on the way home and have gone along the Bow River path into the NW towards Edworthy - holy smokes does that path get busy around 5pm. Total bike rush hour! Id hate to do that commute daily.

There was this thread, but it died out: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/264679/ut...ycling-thread/

I am actually writing my Masters thesis on Utility Cycling in Calgary right now. There are a surprising number of people who ride to work in Calgary, despite some pretty shit infrastructure, which is a good sign. There are even more people who claim to be interested, but fear for their safety amongst vehicle traffic.

There is a report coming out in June on the next steps that Calgary will take for cycling, and I'm hoping it includes a separated track in the core and more painted lines. A high-speed, bike only pathway along the river would be awesome too. 20km/h and sharing with walkers and runners is shit.

The city I live in now has about 30% of people riding to work everyday (Calgary is around 1.5% or a bit more). Everyone rides everywhere. People ride in suits, girls ride in dresses and heels. There are bike only paths everywhere, and lots of on-street routes - I'd love to see a fraction of this in Calgary.

And you haven't seen bike rush hour until you are in Copenhagen at 5PM!

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

I do 30km each way, 1-2 times a week from Springbank to the SE industrial park.

For the distance I travel I don't have to stop very often and other than the Edworthy stretch mentioned above I don't have to deal with much path traffic. Just dogs on long leashes (or loose) sometimes.

But building all the infrastructure is pointless when we have 5+ months of freezing icy snow covered paths. That's when driving is hell. Year-round cycling works in Amsterdam/Vancouver cause they just get rain for the most part.

Maybe Calgary can do underground bike paths.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

Default Re: bike commuting

Originally posted by urban.one
    Who else here commutes by bicycle?

I thought we could have a thread to share tips, tricks, routes and even rants.

Ill post some more details about my commute later but thought Id get this started. Over the past couple of years Ive really noticed a lot more people riding into downtown and the bike storage room in my building has been getting more packed. I commute in from the SW and leave early enough that there isnt a lot of cars or bikes out. Though a few times Ive taken a bit of a detour on the way home and have gone along the Bow River path into the NW towards Edworthy - holy smokes does that path get busy around 5pm. Total bike rush hour! Id hate to do that commute daily.
    I started biking to work last year and absolutely love it. Although I'm not a hardcore rider that do it all season.

I ride from Bonavista to Downtown.. it's about 15K and takes about the same time as I do taking the bus/train to work.

Originally posted by Khyron
    I do 30km each way, 1-2 times a week from Springbank to the SE industrial park.

For the distance I travel I don't have to stop very often and other than the Edworthy stretch mentioned above I don't have to deal with much path traffic. Just dogs on long leashes (or loose) sometimes.

But building all the infrastructure is pointless when we have 5+ months of freezing icy snow covered paths. That's when driving is hell. Year-round cycling works in Amsterdam/Vancouver cause they just get rain for the most part.

Maybe Calgary can do underground bike paths.
    The pathways arent all bad though in the winter. I commute in from Cougar Ridge to downtown year round. The bow river pathway is cleaned in the winter and most days arent too bad commuting in. Of course I draw the line at -20 but anything warmer than that is fine if you have proper clothing.

I havent even required studded tires yet. Although if I picked up studs I probably could gave saved myself from a fall or two

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

Can you ride your bike on the sidewalks in DT?

I ride on the sidewalks to go around traffic, or to go under the bridges.. other than that, I stay on the road.

Originally posted by desi112
    Nope. Illegal everywhere in the city for anyone over 14.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I ride year round. I never thought I would, but driving or taking the bus or train takes longer for me than riding on a nice day, and WAY longer on a snow day.

Only the really windy days are miserable, otherwise it's no problem staying warm. Riding in some fresh snow is actually pretty fun. The city does a good job keeping the paths clear, it's just the roads that are pretty treacherous.

It's awesome to hear my coworkers complaining about 1.5 hour drives on snow days and burning $10 in gas when I spend $0 and get in to work in 15 minutes instead of the usual 10.

More bike lanes would be very welcome. I used to work in TD Canada Trust tower and coming south on 3rd street from the paths was ok, but riding north you are stuck in 4 lane traffic. Now I work by Eau Claire so I have one block of traffic on a quiet street to worry about.

Originally posted by desi112
    I do in winter because there is no other option. I've never been hassled, and I just go really slow and make sure there is no chance I hit anyone.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by bigboom

The pathways arent all bad though in the winter. I commute in from Cougar Ridge to downtown year round. The bow river pathway is cleaned in the winter and most days arent too bad commuting in. Of course I draw the line at -20 but anything warmer than that is fine if you have proper clothing.

I havent even required studded tires yet. Although if I picked up studs I probably could gave saved myself from a fall or two
    Hrm I'm in Cougar as well, though DT is my halfway point and the industrial park roads suck balls. I tried it on some barely sub-0 days, and I crashed twice on wet patches that were icier than I thought, but then I was also commuting on a cervelo p2.

Definately sweet saving 8-10 bucks each commute.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

I do Coach Hill to DT and love it. Nothing like finishing work on a sunny day/evening and getting on the bike. Always fun flying down the hill at Edworthy park and it's a good workout getting back up it too. Seems the city have smoothed out the bumpy pathway west of Crowchild which makes for a smoother ride so far this year.
    Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

I commute during the warmer months of the year riding a mix of bikepaths and roads into the McCall area. I've been biking into work to different parts of the city every summer since 2004 and love it. I am completely adverse to traffic so any chance to cruise in and save on gas money is win/win for me.

What's everyone's stance on running red lights? I have to stop at a few tame traffic lights that could easily and safely be run on red but my road safety conscience usually prevails. I'd say about 50% of cyclists I've seen routinely go on red. I noticed in NYC and London that the cyclists do not stop for longer than they need to without getting hit, so it should be "OK" in Calgary right? I think doing so here would give more fodder for the anti-cycling crowd, but you'd never win them over anyways.

TL;DR Is it OK to run a red light on your bike?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    my bike

I don't run red lights, there is already enough negative perception towards cyclists that I don't want to add to it.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by core_upt

I'm hoping it includes a separated track in the core and more painted lines. A high-speed, bike only pathway along the river would be awesome too. 20km/h and sharing with walkers and runners is shit.
    This. It's BS that the city is out handing out speeding tickets to cyclists. Build a dedicated pathway without a speed limit. It took me a reasonable amount of time (15-30 minutes) to bike DT from Bowness going my speed, but would likely take 45 minutes + if I had to stick to the 20km/h limit.

As far as the OP goes - my tip is to get cycling shorts with a padded but. It took me forever to embrace spandex shorts but damn they work well. MEC sells some great clothing with reflectors on it as well. Gloves for the early mornings are clutch too. I picked up a MEC commuter backpack and it works well. I'd also highly recommend people get mud flaps unless they want to show up at work looking like a reverse skunk.

It's nice that Calgary's DT is in the river valley because the ride DT from most areas is down hill - thus you don't need to break a sweat and shower in the morning.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Thought I'd bump this thread now that I started bicycle commuting.

I used to work in the south and drove everyday, but about a month ago I got transferred to my company's downtown office (no free parking). Took the bus for two days, never again

I'm biking in from Cougar Ridge, its a pretty nice ride as I'm 90% on bike paths or low traffic roads.

First week it was taking me about 25-30 mins to work, and 45-50 mins home. After only a month I'm doing it in about 21 mins to and 35 mins home (door to door). Door to desk including shower in the AM is about 35 mins. For comparison, the two days I took the bus it was about 36 mins stop to stop. Beating the bus, and saving $5.50/day is a pretty good feeling

Anyone else biking to work now that the weather is nice?

I did my 50km round trip yesterday and it feels like my crotch got head-butted by 50 midgets. Damn cracked/bumpy paths/roads. lol

Wasn't a good day, got a flat in the morning, and going home I only managed 55minutes even with a slight tail wind. So much more slowing down now with increased bike and jogger traffic.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Sounds like you need a better saddle/ a chamois or both.

Riding shouldn't hurt.

My Ride
    TDI

Originally posted by phreezee
    I did my 50km round trip yesterday
    Were you doing 50km in the winter? How's your face healing?

I'm back to my 35km round trip on the new bike. Road bike stance takes some getting used to.

My wife even rode with me a few days last week before she got a cold. Took quite a bit longer, but it was nice.

Originally posted by megavolt

Were you doing 50km in the winter? How's your face healing?

No, in winter I'd just do park and bike at Home Rd/Shouldice Park. Stick to the path and avoid cars in winter. Chin is good, I can shave over the scar now.

Originally posted by swak
    Sounds like you need a better saddle/ a chamois or both.

Riding shouldn't hurt.
    That same path has plenty of cracks and bumps that aren't as forgiving without suspension in summer. The shoulder of Bowness Rd isn't the greatest either. I have a nice Selle Italia saddle, and geeked out in my team jersey yesterday. Maybe I'll do some seat adjustment, but I think it's already the furthest back it'll go so I can fit the repair pod underneath.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast