Quantcast
Driving to vegas. Ideas and suggestions needed - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driving to vegas. Ideas and suggestions needed

Default Ideas and suggestions needed (additional question)

Driving to las vegas from calgary, for those who had driven or know the route very well. What are some must sees, or places that are on the way where i should make stops at? Or even suggestions in terms of the route to take. anything at all..?

added question: June 23,

i am planning to take a detour to the grand canyon on the way back from vegas to calgary.

""Any suggestions of the added time frame? and route to take?
    i tried google map, las vegas to grand canyon, but i guess grand canyon is too big of a land mark. Just want to see what the grand canyon is all about, a sneak n peak is more than enough, so any help on this matter would be great. Thanks!
    ""
    Last edited by Akumaz; 06-23-2011 at 10:27 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

I drove back Las Vegas to Calgary and just followed I-15 all the way from Vegas to the border.

must stop for us was IHOP in Helena.
    Salt Lake City if you want to see it or rest I guess but avoid the traffic from what I heard.
    We drove past it on a friday night at around 1am and I-15 was still quite busy.

The short section of I-15 that goes through Arizona are canyons and maybe worth a stop for pictures or detour through the canyons.

The drive you have planned is quite long and around 20-21 hrs but worth doing. While driving to Las Vegas from Calgary the main spots of interest that come across on the way are Salt Lake and Idaho Falls.

Yeah do not go through Cardston border like we did, cross the border from Lethbridge and take the I15 all the way, nothing really worth mentioning in Montana, Great Fall maybe if you want to take a detour, Salt Lake has a few amusement parks that might be open now, there is construction though so expect traffic. Mesquite is a pretty cool place as well if you want to rest up and take a break, but it's only 2 hours to Vegas from there so you might want to just keep going . If you stay on the I 15 that is pretty much it from what I can remember, we went in February. If you have AMA it gives you discounts in most of the roadside hotels, just an FYI.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

We are heading down to Vegas at the end of June (flying), and was thinking about driving up to Utah to visit relatives. My aunt said there are huge constructions between salt lake city and vegas right now, and the drive is is >8 hours one way (instead of ~6). Just fyi if you are thinking about driving through Utah

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    We are heading down to Vegas at the end of June (flying), and was thinking about driving up to Utah to visit relatives. My aunt said there are huge constructions between salt lake city and vegas right now, and the drive is is >8 hours one way (instead of ~6). Just fyi if you are thinking about driving through Utah
    Well, damn.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Just did the drive a week ago.

Took the I-15 the whole way.

First day Calgary to Idaho Falls. Decent trip, distance was just about right not to long. Stayed at the Sleep Inns and Suites in Idaho Falls. New hotel on the south end of town. Free breakfast and during dinner they put out a free soup bar some nights of the week. No canned soup either homemade stuff, pretty good actually. I've done that run through Montana and Idaho a few times so I didn't stop to take pics but there is stuff to see along the way, and some fun driving in spots.

Next day was Idaho Falls to Vegas. Again decent distance. There is some serious construction around Salt Lake as was mentioned previously. It was raining when we went through and the rain, construction, and traffic made for some pretty scary moments. We were not delayed at all however, I could see though depending on what was going on for construction that day they could turn it into a real mess and add some serious time to the trip. As was mentioned the short section you spend in Arizona has some really cool vista's and canyons, one pretty epic curvy downhill, fun road.

I only spent about a day and a half in Vegas before I continued on to Palm Desert my final destination. Vegas isn't my thing never has been. I can tolerate it for a day and night max. Its fun to throw back a few beers while walking the strip and taking in the sites, but after that it gets kinda stale for me.

Overall it's a pretty fun road trip. If you take the I-15 the whole way the roads are very solid and reliable (minus current construction), lots of rest stops to take a piss break or a quick nap etc, lots of gas stations positioned close so you never push your luck with a near empty tank.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Eclipse

I've driven it a few times, and will be driving it again in july, I plan on waking up at 5am and being in Park City, Utah (20-30km) from Salt Lake on the first day and then head to Vegas for a Monday morning..

There has been massive traffic when you hit Salt Lake with the I-15 for the last few times I went down.

But you should def go through lethbridge if you are heading down.. Not much to see on the road there, just some tunes ready and hope you get passed US customs quickly.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

I drive to Phoenix a couple times a year. Just got back. Agree with all the above. The biggest thing is to time your trip to miss the Salt Lake rush hour. Like driving on Deerfoot at rush hour with construction for 100kms long only 5 lanes wide!

A couple of spots south of SLC that are testing 80mph speed limits. Safe to do 90mph!

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I think I might skip SLC altogether and jump on the 93, if SLC construction is so bad

hm, think the construction will still be going on at the end of june? if so, is it worth the time to go around SLC?

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

Construction will still be going on. I would just plan to go through SLC during non rush hour and you should be fine.

My Ride

I just drove down to Vegas for a road race in the middle of may.

I15 is a great drive, up to 80 mph in some stretches of Utah. Very little traffic until about an hour outside Salt lake city...as was mentioned, lots of construction in provo/salt lake. You can avoid Salt Lake city and take highway 93. If you don't mind a slight detour east on the 93, you can go see the Bonneville salt flats around West Wendover. All in all, a nice drive, with lots of twisties

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Anomaly
    I just drove down to Vegas for a road race in the middle of may.

I15 is a great drive, up to 80 mph in some stretches of Utah. Very little traffic until about an hour outside Salt lake city...as was mentioned, lots of construction in provo/salt lake. You can avoid Salt Lake city and take highway 93. If you don't mind a slight detour east on the 93, you can go see the Bonneville salt flats around West Wendover. All in all, a nice drive, with lots of twisties

That's gonna be my route. How is the spacing between gas stations, rest stops, etc?

My Ride

Originally posted by sexualbanana

That's gonna be my route. How is the spacing between gas stations, rest stops, etc?
    On the I15 there are tons of flying j/conoco etc truck stops just off the highway that have subway/McDonald's etc pretty much every little city/town...sometimes in the middle of no where. Little bit less frequent in Montana, but once you hit south Idaho they're everywhere.

If you take the 93 or highway 318 you have to watch your fuel level, as it can be 100+ miles without a fuel in at least one or two spots. Also, had no problem finding premium on the 93 or 318.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Stops are for pussies. Its a race with the clock! Lol I made it in a little over 16 hours on the way there. My dad has done it in 15

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Why I should be crossing at Lethbridge over the one at Cardston?

How is this route in October - Any snow or the like??

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Just arrivedin Vegas yesterday. I crossed at the Cardsron crossing, which isnt busy. The drive from the border to about Browning is pretty fun. Lots of twisties and hills.

There isnt a whole lots of construction in SLC-proper, but it looks like the drive on north I-15 heading into Provo will be a lot of delays and construction.

When i head back at the end of the month, im going to take the 93 and drive the length of Nevada instead to avoid SLC

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    Just arrivedin Vegas yesterday. I crossed at the Cardsron crossing, which isnt busy. The drive from the border to about Browning is pretty fun. Lots of twisties and hills.

There isnt a whole lots of construction in SLC-proper, but it looks like the drive on north I-15 heading into Provo will be a lot of delays and construction.

When i head back at the end of the month, im going to take the 93 and drive the length of Nevada instead to avoid SLC
    Honestly Provo isn't that bad - I drove through Provo on a monday afternoon around 4pm and although trafficy, and terrible road construction, it wasn't start and stop for long

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast