Quantcast
Apple Mac Books - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Apple Mac Books

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by heavyD

Been using a Mac for over a decade and never got a virus.
    Same here. I had other pc's before and they were always shitting the bed. I will admit I don't know shit about how computers work, for all I know the run on magic. I just want something that works that I don't have to worry about.

how is a macbook very overpriced when you can buy it with the educational discount or refurbished, and with a free ipod that you can potentially sell?

the premium is for the build quality, service, and their OS (if you like it ...). i can't stand the majority of PC laptops after owning a macbook, all the case/keyboard flexing, the uncomfortable trackpads.... etc. raw/power / $$ - yes, there are way better deals to be had. to have all those above things in a PC, you'd pay more than you will pay with an apple laptop. this new laptop from dell is the perfect example, and the more expensive HP Envy line as well.

i mean... i'm not a fan of the ppl that work at the genius bar but they are courteous and respectful, and usually don't try to get themselves out of a warranty situation. try buying a compaq at futureshop and have a problem couple months down the road.

if you were to get a PC laptop around the $500 range, please research the reviews. there are very few good laptops in this price range, and reliability is very iffy right after one year.
    Last edited by dragonone; 05-24-2011 at 05:32 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by max_boost

But what about those commercials where Apple's don't get any viruses?
    They get viruses, just much less risk than Windows. Since Macbooks and iMacs have been very popular over the past few years, chances of getting a virus have risen. It's still much less risk than Windows, but I see customers (those who are very computer illiterate I may add) that come in and complain they got a virus and was LIED to by Apple!

You know, not saying Norton is a great anti-virus, but it was made for the Mac since 2000.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by dragonone
    how is a macbook very overpriced when you can buy it with the educational discount or refurbished, and with a free ipod that you can potentially sell?
    The education discount only gives you $100 off. Yeah, you get the free iPod but that offer's only around during back to school time (when retailers typically have specials for all brands anyways)and there's only a limited selection of the iPods eligible. You could probably get $200 at the if you sell the iPod.

With refurbished, you only save $100-150 on the lower end models. The higher end models you can save as much as $500, but they'll still end up costing you ~$1500. I'm pretty sure the free iPod offers are not applicable on refurbished models.

While they're not not very overpriced after all that is factored in, it's still overpriced.

the premium is for the build quality, service, and their OS (if you like it ...).
    I've been using Apple laptops since the G3 days and they've all had some sort of physical issue, whether it be the laptop casing or the internals. None of my non-Apple laptops have had any issues. So in my case, your argument on the better build quality doesn't stand.

Don't buy an apple for university. I'm a 4th year student and have never used my laptop once at school other than when I am studying before exams up in the towers. There are tons of computer labs which I find much more convenient than lugging around a laptop constantly.

Plus mac's are pretty much garbage comparable to other computers in the price range so stick to something cheap that does the job imo. Had a compaq for 3 years until I broke the screen from being an idiot one day and it cost me $450 and worked awesome for me. Sure not the best brand but have a great desk top at home that I don't need to use my laptop at home.

So unless your one of those homo's that need to be cool and get a mac to look like your sooooo cool don't be an idiot...in 6 months your only justification for getting one is like all the other fanboys "it never gets virus's"

well to be fair, the OP asked which mb to get. i'm not trying to convince him to buy an apple, i just don't agree with why it's such a bad purchase. there is no other product with the same set of features. whether you think it's overpriced is up to you. there are also laptop reliability studies done which sees a trend with premium laptops (not limited to Apple) having a lower malfunctioning rate. you can also try to find a laptop with a very similar feature set and compare the two side by side, and see if the differences appeal to you or turn you off. ppl pay the premium for the battery life and the screen on a 17" mbp. not all classes are in lecture halls with tiny swivel desks. what if it's for a graphics design course? a photography course? yes, back in my undergraduate years, i always had powerpoint handouts or had to print them out before class. but the occasional class i take now, everyone has a laptop ready because nothing is handed out.

don't take our word for it. i can tell you i fix laptops and only ever see toshiba's overheat, acer's power supply crap out, and never apples when in reality some ppl take them straight to the apple store to replace the logic board and i never get to see them. i'd seriously reconsider recommending someone to get a compaq tho because they are very crappy machines along with acers (except for the few that are popular on redflagdeals and backed by numerous reviews).

i personally don't know anyone who buys a mac to be cool. i don't know how that came about. if anything, it's the alienware - gaming laptop bunch who game in lectures who are cool. and to the nerd inside me the m11x is a pretty cool machine.

again, not a fanboy of either, as i use both. i just don't agree with the extreme views that some of you have. and clearly some are much more informed than others.

i'll leave you with a good review. you can find similar ones on numerous other non-Apple laptops as well. Lenovo comes to mind, and also the new Dell i posted earlier. for more Apple vs PC stuff, feel free to use the search button.
    Last edited by dragonone; 05-24-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Sigh — wrote a nice, thoughtful reply and mis-clicked the "Reset Form" button. What a fucking terrible placement for a non-undoable function. Let's try this again.

If all you're going to do is take notes in class, browse the web, chat with friends and write papers, performance specs aren't even an issue. Battery life is the most important figure here, really.

With that in mind, Apple's lineup tends to fare better than their competitors in battery life. The 11.6" MacBook Air is a treat — SSD for speed, and the battery lasts hours and hours. It's also nice and light. That said, it's expensive ($1000 for the low-end model), but if you have the money, it's a good option. Their service is also pretty fantastic, from personal experience (I got a scratch on my iPad screen, and they replaced the product for free, on the spot).

A comparable netbook-type laptop from Asus, Dell, etc. will be cheaper, but they won't have the same battery life. They also won't have a solid-state drive for that price, and their build quality tends to be poorer. If budget is an issue, they're a decent choice, and will suit you just fine.

Have you considered a tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard?

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Don't buy an apple for university. I'm a 4th year student and have never used my laptop once at school other than when I am studying before exams up in the towers. There are tons of computer labs which I find much more convenient than lugging around a laptop constantly.
    agreed, and they are a fucking distraction in class anyways, i own a mbp and have only taken it to school like 3 times...

Originally posted by nich148_9

Have you considered a tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard?
    ahahha, serious? ahh shit, i bet i'll see people taking notes on ipads this fall (unless some ppl are already doing this, wasnt in school this previous sem), to me that would be

^^ ive seen a few ppl take our their ipads, in this epic dramtic way to sort of flaunt it to everyone around then, check email, then either put it back away (because they cant do anything else with it ) or start playing bejewelled haha
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Depends on the day

When ever someone mentions apple it turn in to a hate thread.

My Ride
    NC1

I bought this laptop yesterday: http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...productId=7693

I was looking at macs/iPads etc. but I couldn't justify it. I do have a few friends telling me that the Asus E-Transformer is a really good tablet or wait for the new Samsung 10.1 tablet.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

the premium is for the build quality,

Yeah...no.
    Look up the square trade laptop reliability studies, Apple is in 4th place, behind Asus, Toshiba, and Sony.

Personally, I would take an Asus and spend the rest on beer.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by Jlude
    Don't listen to everyone who says "you're trying to be cool by buying a mac". Just buy what you want.

13" MBP would be perfect for uni... don't get the air IMO... it's not as sturdy as the MBP and you'll end up beating the shit out of it.
    Just let the guy do what he wants. So much hate on Apple products. I love it when I see people argue over the price of Apple stuff while they flaunt their designer clothing. Do you need to overpay for expensive clothes when you can get the same thing for cheaper? Or they do the "Apple is so closed and bad to developers." well excuse me, are you a developer? If Apple was truly crap, would they be this big now? They must be doing something right.

Macbooks are fine for university students. Intro price at a grand is perfect, and it has enough power to do what you want. If you want to game, then get a console, but mac does have steam. But otherwise it has everything you would need. Macbook pro is more for a power user, but it's good for the long run.

Also every laptop's durability varies, it really depends on the user. Does the owner abuse the laptop, or does he load it up with a ton of stuff to slow it down? PCs and Macs can be equally reliable, just depends on the user.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by kvg
    When ever someone mentions apple it turn in to a hate thread.
    Every. Single. Time.

Originally posted by Zephyr

Just let the guy do what he wants. So much hate on Apple products. I love it when I see people argue over the price of Apple stuff while they flaunt their designer clothing. Do you need to overpay for expensive clothes when you can get the same thing for cheaper? Or they do the "Apple is so closed and bad to developers." well excuse me, are you a developer? If Apple was truly crap, would they be this big now? They must be doing something right.

Macbooks are fine for university students. Intro price at a grand is perfect, and it has enough power to do what you want. If you want to game, then get a console, but mac does have steam. But otherwise it has everything you would need. Macbook pro is more for a power user, but it's good for the long run.

Also every laptop's durability varies, it really depends on the user. Does the owner abuse the laptop, or does he load it up with a ton of stuff to slow it down? PCs and Macs can be equally reliable, just depends on the user.

QFT

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by Anomaly

Yeah...no.
    Look up the square trade laptop reliability studies, Apple is in 4th place, behind Asus, Toshiba, and Sony.

Personally, I would take an Asus and spend the rest on beer.
    I would take SquareTrade studies with a grain of salt, afterall, they sell warranties for laptops. That isn't to say that their warranties are bad, I've heard and read good things, but their studies are bias in that they are trying to promote themselves and get people to purchase warranties.

Many causes of laptops breaking down or being deemed unreliable is because of the owner and the treatment the laptop goes through. University students will probably bang up their laptops and not take good care of their laptop cause their parents are paying for it. I'd bet actual hardware failure based on faulty parts or design flaw is quite rare, and most cases of unreliability is because of abuse.

I've had experienes with Toshiba (when I was at SAIT/MRU), Sony (friends and family) and Lenovo (work, personal, family) laptops and I can speak from first hand experience that Lenovo is a lot more reliabile and has better build quality than almost every other brand. I think my family has spilt full cups of water (hot and cold) and has soaked through the keyboard, through the internals and the battery. The lenovo laptops are still kicking like new.

Anyways, I agree with what Zephyr said and that the OP isn't making a wrong choice with a Macbook. There may be better choices overall, but it depends solely on what the OP wants and needs in a laptop.

Without knowing exactly what the OP wants, I'm still sticking by my recommendation of a Lenovo laptop, such as this one:

Lenovo Thinkpad T420s

14.1" HD Widescreen (1600x900 LED Backlit
    Under 4lbs of weight
    i7-2620M (2.70GHz - up to 3.40GHz)
    1GB NVIDIA Quadro NVS4200M
    2GB DDR3 (Choose not to upgrade this as you can buy better ram and upgrade yourself for $35 for a 4GB kit)
    250GB HDD 5400rpm (stuck with the default HDD, as you can get better HDD for a lower price)
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN

+

3Yr Basic Warranty + 3Yr ThinkPad Protection (this covers everything from spills, drops, etc. So feel free to abuse it, wear and tear it and have it replaced brand new)

for $1729.10 with "CAPSAVEINMAY" coupon

Keep in mind that the 3yr TPP warranty is $389, so you can get the above for $1340 with the regular 1yr factory warranty. I would definitely pick this over a 13.3" Macbook even though I prefer the 13.3" size.

I'm personally a desktop guy, so I would suffice with a $400-$500 netbook.

Just my two cents
    Last edited by Kg810; 05-25-2011 at 03:36 PM.

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

Originally posted by tha_bandit

ahahha, serious? ahh shit, i bet i'll see people taking notes on ipads this fall (unless some ppl are already doing this, wasnt in school this previous sem), to me that would be
    I take notes on my iPad. What's weird about that?

no shit, i bet the same ppl wouldn't say the same thing if it was an EEEpad transformer. docked or no dock lol. oh no, it might have just sprung up an android vs ios discussion.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

^^ i dont really care what OS it is, every OS has a use in my mind. Just saying that taking notes on a tablet seems like a pain, hopefully u guys are using a keyboard, LOL. I guess i'm old school, I prefer notes using pen/paper.

So you use an iPad full out as a computer during the day at school? Crazzzyyy kids....
    Last edited by tha_bandit; 05-26-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast