Quantcast
RX7 specialties - Your thoughts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: RX7 specialties - Your thoughts

Default RX7 specialties - Your thoughts

Hi All,

I am looking to buy an FD rx7 and in chatting with Adam at RX7 Specialties he suggested I just build one as he has a rolling chassis available.

I personally am new to rotaries and would like to have a engine built ground up to make this tempermental engine as reliable as possible.

What is everyones experience/ opinion on Adam, the shop, and the recommendation of getting a built car?
    Does he build good cars? Is he a fair person to deal with?

Thanks!

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Last summer was my first run in with rx7 specialties.
    They always provided me with helpful info and gave me decent prices on parts.
    A few times they even showed me how to fix the small things instead of paying them to do it.
    Id trust them, they know their shit when it comes to rx7s.

My Ride
    KTM

Keep on digging and look on the RX7 forums- they have a reputation.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

I wouldnt use him, dig in the forums like said above. I had experiences with him...i wont discuss them...but it really depends what day you catch him on. From what i hear, shit went south real fast when his partner left years ago. He can be a nice guy, or a complete douche, depends on what day you catch him. He has personal issues...and we will leave it at that.

find somebody else.

What alternatives are there in CGY for rotary owners? My friend's RX8 is just coming off warranty

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by slinkie
    What alternatives are there in CGY for rotary owners? My friend's RX8 is just coming off warranty
    An LS1... sorry.

Originally posted by badatusrnames

An LS1... sorry.
    pretty much

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

The dealer is probably your best bet unless you are looking for aftermarket stuff - most of which doesn't work any better than the factory items anyway.

Originally posted by badatusrnames

An LS1... sorry.
    Haha I tried to get him in on an LS1 FD pact, but he's considering trading in on a new RX8 R3 or getting an STI...depends how many problems the RX8 runs into. It's already had what he calls the "scheduled engine replacement" at 70k.

There's always a lot of nice looking FC/FBs parked outside when I drive by the shop, they seem to get decent business unless those are employees' cars

Lol - I was all over an LS1 RX7 until I found out how much it would cost to get it all together.
    That said, there is on on Ebay that is quite interesting.

Originally posted by psi_klops
    Lol - I was all over an LS1 RX7 until I found out how much it would cost to get it all together.
    That said, there is on on Ebay that is quite interesting.
    If you think an LS swap is expensive then a rotary is def not for you

My Ride

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    Last summer was my first run in with rx7 specialties.
    They always provided me with helpful info and gave me decent prices on parts.
    A few times they even showed me how to fix the small things instead of paying them to do it.
    Id trust them, they know their shit when it comes to rx7s.
    Selling parts and fixing only small things are much different than doing a full build. No offense but was last year your first summer in the rotary world? If so, you would probably be wise to learn all you can about the car and how it works. I have no doubt they "know their shit" to newbies or those who have no experience outside of one shop. You need to become an educated consumer - preferably learning from someone who isn't trying to sell you something.

For the record, approximately 10 years ago I had a full build done there and I haven't been back and I won't ever go back.

My Ride

Haha I tried to get him in on an LS1 FD pact, but he's considering trading in on a new RX8 R3 or getting an STI...depends how many problems the RX8 runs into. It's already had what he calls the "scheduled engine replacement" at 70k.

There's always a lot of nice looking FC/FBs parked outside when I drive by the shop, they seem to get decent business unless those are employees' cars
    As compared to the number of FC/FB's parked outside of another shop? Being pretty much the only option in Calgary for rotary engined cars probably doesn't hurt business.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

After meeting Conroy and seeing the work he does with RX7's (especially the chumpcar racer his team prepped), I couldn't imagine taking one anywhere besides 4Kruzen Motorsports. He's located in Spruce Grove though... but if you need rotary help, he IS the man!

My Ride

Default Re: RX7 specialties - Your thoughts

Originally posted by psi_klops
    Hi All,

I am looking to buy an FD rx7 and in chatting with Adam at RX7 Specialties he suggested I just build one as he has a rolling chassis available.

I personally am new to rotaries and would like to have a engine built ground up to make this tempermental engine as reliable as possible.

What is everyones experience/ opinion on Adam, the shop, and the recommendation of getting a built car?
    Does he build good cars? Is he a fair person to deal with?

Thanks!
    My question would be why he is pushing you to buy a rolling chassis as opposed to an actual running car that you can test drive and have inspected before being committed to purchase? Once you start down the path he has recommended you are on the hook - not a wise move on your part. Much better if he builds the car first, lists it for sale with a set asking price and allows buyers to test drive and have it inspected.

Only other real option is the dealer, even then, I'd still rather go with Rx7 specialties, even with their reputation.
    Last edited by know1edge; 06-24-2013 at 08:04 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by 962 kid

pretty much
    Nothing wrong with the rotary engine. They run well if properly built and maintained. Even the often swapped LS1 has it's flaws. I would love to do a 4 rotor swap into a Corvette as a means to fix the piston slap and oiling problems. Funny thing is that back in the early days GM considered a rotary for the 'vette so putting one in now would just be finishing the dream

Originally posted by soloracer

Nothing wrong with the rotary engine. They run well if properly built and maintained. Even the often swapped LS1 has it's flaws. I would love to do a 4 rotor swap into a Corvette as a means to fix the piston slap and oiling problems. Funny thing is that back in the early days GM considered a rotary for the 'vette so putting one in now would just be finishing the dream
    Don't get me wrong, I have rotartyitis pretty bad right now. I just dropped some substantial coin this morning for a new 13b from Mazda I just mean that for the average guy in town with no connections, limited workspace/time/skill, and most importantly patience, the LS becomes a very attractive solution.

Default Re: Re: RX7 specialties - Your thoughts

Originally posted by soloracer

My question would be why he is pushing you to buy a rolling chassis as opposed to an actual running car that you can test drive and have inspected before being committed to purchase? Once you start down the path he has recommended you are on the hook - not a wise move on your part. Much better if he builds the car first, lists it for sale with a set asking price and allows buyers to test drive and have it inspected.
    I did ponder that one for a bit...
    Buying from him was supposed to save me a couple grand over the other car, plus I was able to have it built to "my specifications" (what ever that is from a rotary noob).
    overall I think the cost was to be around $7K for a basic build and parts...the LS1 option was pushing 13K if I could source the parts.
    both still seem like good ideas assuming a rolling chassis is under 3K.

...or i "just grow up and get a normal car" (as per wifey)

(was a long winded irrelevent thought)
    Last edited by psi_klops; 05-24-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast