Quantcast
NEVER fly ICELAND EXPRESS if you're interested in going. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: NEVER fly ICELAND EXPRESS if you're interested in going.

My Ride

Default NEVER fly ICELAND EXPRESS if you're interested in going.

Here's my experience, thus far. Having not even set foot on the plane (which any googling will tell you, is a dilapidated and cramped excuse for a flying bus).

Last summer, was when i made the original booking. I was flying on a business trip to Europe, and me and GF had been talking about seeing Iceland for a long time. We decided that on my home from Europe, i’d take a detour and we would spend a week in Iceland. At the time, Iceland express was flying out of Winnipeg, Canada, which is easy to get to. The good Icelandic carrier (Iceland Air) flys out of Toronto and Halifax. Which would have been much more expensive for us to get to initially.

So we though, GREAT, this is handy. It’s close to 1000$ cheaper than Iceland air for the flights. So we booked it. I was to meet her in Iceland and we would fly home on the return flight together. Here’s where all the bullshit started. About a month before the trip, they – Iceland express – cancelled my girlfriends inbound flight for no reason. They have a “no cancelling, no refund – unless we’re doing the cancelling” policy. So luckily she got both legs of her flights cancelled. However, because i was only booked on the return leg – which wasn’t cancelled, they would not refund my MY money, just because my girlfriend wasn’t going to be able to meet me. We looked at finding another alternative, but it would either have been 1,200$ more money at that late notice, or a 29 hr milk run through half of Europe and Canada – and she’d arrive a day and half after me. So, according to their “no refund” policy, i was forced to conveniently change my flight. Which cost 50$. They wouldn’t actually issue me a credit, they forced me to change my flight. This was last August, I didn’t want to go in the fall or the winter – only the summer time. So of course they didn’t have flight schedules that went out more than 6 months. So i was forced to “rebook” on a London to Rekyjavik flight at a cost of 50$ in order to not lose the 500$ i’d already paid for my ticket. Fast forward to today. We’re rebooking our trip. I have a 500$ flight from London to rekyjavik. I called to change it back to a Winnepeg/Rekyjavik flight as the summer schedule is now out. Guess what? It’s now 50$ to change the airport OR the date. So it’s now 100$ to change it back to the flight i originally booked ($500 flight is now $650). So furious about this, and the heinous Iceland bitch is about as rude as can possibly be. Basically, the entire conversation was toned with “you’re fucked, because you have 2 choices – cancel entirely and lose your 500$ or pay the extra 100$, there is nothing we’re willing to do for you” This was the exact same response i got when i pleaded with them the year before to refund my ticket after they cancelled my gf’s ticket. So i’m on the hook, so i take it up the ass and pay the fee, booking another leg, and a trip for my gf. We then booked our trips from our town to Winnipeg via points on Air Canada (300$ in taxes).

All in, we’re sitting at 2,700 + 50,000 points for this trip. But we’re still feeling ok. Because the only reason we went with these guys was because Iceland air (the good carrier) was still like 3,500. And here comes the punch the fucking balls.... which i only found out after i hung up the phone on the ice queen....

Iceland air, has in the last year a) revamped their booking system, and b) apparently made some local carrier deals. I whipped over to their new website, and low and behold. My home city is on there. So i plug it in, for the exact same dates as Iceland expres.... 2,200 fucking dollars. Not direct though, one extra stop, and an extra 2 hours to the flights, but still.

So now i’m just livid. I can’t cancel Iceland express because they’re cunts who’re trying to be cute. I’ve googled their planes, and their reviews and unbelievably bad.

I’m willing to accept the responsibility of not doing fully detailed research and of biting the bullet of “you chose a discount carrier, this kind of shit happens” I’m livid, but i’m chalking this one up to life experience and moving on. I’m really just putting this out there, because, in my life time, i want that airline to go down. I’ve NEVER had a worse customer experience WITH ANY CORPORATION, in ANY INDUSTRY, as with Iceland express.

Just a heads up world travellers, sometimes the discount carriers aren’t worth it in the end.

/rant

TL;DR - Icleand express blatantly fucked me out 200$, and arguabley cost me about 1000$ in extra costs to visit Iceland. They’re the most obstinate and uncompassionate company i’ve ever dealt with.

This is posted on reddit as well, hence the vague references to Canadian geography.

http://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comme...a_flight_with/
    Last edited by Crymson; 05-25-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Sorry to hear.

I booked a one-way with Iceland Express for next month, just from Copenhagen to Reykjavik, but amidst constant price checking and date flopping, as well we the lag from their site, I ended up booking for May instead of June as intended.

I called Iceland Express, explained what I was doing and how their site kept crashing (and went down for a mew moments). They allowed me to change my flight to the June dates I wanted without having to pay anything more than the difference in fare.

Maybe try calling again?

My Ride

No thanks, I couldn't stand being on the phone with them again. I shoulda said that it was a technical issue with their site, but it's too late now. I'm sure i'm flagged in their comments now anyway. I did my absolute best to be reasonable, logical, but in the end i was unable to hide my utter and complete contempt for them as a company and the lady i was forced to interact with as a person.

OP

shit happens,this was tough to read, but as i understand this is over 100$. Flight deals come out all the time, you cant get mad if you find a flight for cheaper a few months down the road. Its always a gamble when you book.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride

Hey man, actually this is what it's about.

1) not refunding me my flight after they cancelled my GF's less than 3 weeks before departure. Granted, their rules don't say they have to.. but they should have.

2) not allowing me to at least take a credit, but instead forcing me to pay 50$ to change my flight to something i'll never actually fly on, just to be able to KEEP my credit while they know full well i'd have to pay again this summer to change it back.

3) then charging me DOUBLE the change free (100$) to change it back, because "those are the rules now, not when you orginally booked"

If you don't think this is worth a rant, then you sir are a pushover.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by chkolny541

Haha, first world problems man.

My Ride
    AWOL

Discount carrier, shoulda read the terms when you bought the ticket, all airlines have change fees, buyer beware blah blah blah Happy travels

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Originally posted by chkolny541
    video
    I've been looking all over for this video, thank you.