Quantcast
Germany 2011 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Germany 2011

My Ride
    GTI 1.8T

Default Germany (road) Trip 2011

My Dad and I are going to Germany for 2 weeks to pick up a new BMW 335xi from the factory in Munich.

We will have two weeks with the car to tour Germany and surrounding countries.

I have looked through several previous threads on travel in Germany but thought our situation is unique since we will have a vehicle for the whole trip.

I've made a list of many no-brainer places to go and see, but those threads are a few years old now and I am sure there are many places left out.

Anyone have any must see and recommendations for a German road trip?

Please view the itinerary on the second page!
    Last edited by calgarydub; 06-24-2011 at 04:32 AM.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

when are you going?

F1 race is at the end of July, and DTM races are throughout the summer.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What stuff do you have on your list? Germany is one country I haven't looked into much yet.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Will you go in the car or by train? Theres tons to do in Munich, check out the Hof Brau Haus and Dachau concentration camp just outside as well as the BMW museum which is across the street from the pick up point.

Tubingen is a cool town about 3.5 hrs by train heading west.

Of all cities though, check out Berlin. It would be a shame to go to Germany and not visit that city. Really neat culture.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    GTI 1.8T

We leave on June 29th, and return on July 14th.

I have Berlin, Switzerland (Zurich atleast) Dachau, Stuttgart, Nurburg, Dresden maybe, Berlin for a few days for sure, Wolfsburg, Cologne, Nuremberg are just a few of the places we intend to visit, even if for a half day as some places are worth spending more time in.

We're very interested in WW2 and world history, architecture, culture etc... So museums, historic sites, scenery and buildings, and of course the factories for BMW,Audi, Porsche, VW, Mercedes.

My Dad and I are very excited to drive on the Autobahn and around the German/European highway system, is there anything that we should consider or know beforehand?

Thanks for the insight thusfar

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

There's some famous roads that you can try driving down. I have a Bavaria tourism map that has all of them. Some of them are:

The Porcelain Road
    The Toy road
    the Castle road
    the route of emperors and kings
    the Crystal road
    the Sisi-road
    the German Alpine Road
    The Romantic Road
    The German Danube

If I had a car out there I would definitely try out some of these roads. They would be quite the adventure I think.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    GTI 1.8T

Originally posted by cycosis
    Will you go in the car or by train? Theres tons to do in Munich, check out the Hof Brau Haus and Dachau concentration camp just outside as well as the BMW museum which is across the street from the pick up point.

Tubingen is a cool town about 3.5 hrs by train heading west.

Of all cities though, check out Berlin. It would be a shame to go to Germany and not visit that city. Really neat culture.
    We will probably be taking the car most places unless it makes sense to take a train. The main highlight of the trip will be to drive the actual car around Germany that will eventually be shipped here after our trip.

Man are you ever lucky, you're going to be living my dream.

My advice, fuck the concentration camps. You are there to have fun and a good time no? They are over promoted and are dreary as hell. Just depressing.

Here is my list of suggestions:

Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Christmas town very Medieval
    Oberamergau
    Garmisch-Partenkirchen
    Rhein and Mosel Valleys
    Regensburg another BMW factory town

If you go to Austria - Salzburg and Innsbruck

Switzerland, Italy and Liechtenstein are nice to see also but havving a 335, you could be in further reaching countries before you know it...

^^salzburg and innsbruck are nothing towns. Its like going to canmore, kinda cool for about an hour. If you are going to austria, hit vienna for sure.

I was in munich a few weeks ago, great city!

hit amsterdam if you can
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    G6

Look up if Openair is having a music festival anywhere in the area. Last year I went to one in St. Gallen Switzerland. Epic! Beyond that, if you go to Switzerland, Zurich should be entirely skipped. Lucerne (sp?) is far nicer.

Originally posted by calgarydub
    My Dad and I are very excited to drive on the Autobahn and around the German/European highway system, is there anything that we should consider or know beforehand?
    Most common misconception about the autobahn. It's not one road... autobahn literally just translates to highway.

My Ride
    GTI 1.8T

Anymore suggestions?

So far we have Munich booked for 4 nights/14 days. Berlin will probably be another 3-4 nights and then every where else in between.

My Ride
    GT TDi

clearly you need to take your bmw on the nurburgring
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

check out bimmerpost as the are lots of ED threads

I highly recommend checking out Bingen. Gorgeous town right on the Rhine River, nestled right in the middle of in wine country. That's where I stayed when I was there. Definitely worth a drive to, if nothing else.

Obviously the Autobahn and Nurburgring are must-do's if you're willing to do that to you're brand new BMW haha.

Frankfurt is a super cool city too.

More than anything, just enjoy driving on flawless roads with realistic speed limits with drivers who actually know how to drive. You will never again experience that in your BMW.

If you want some super fun roads, head over to Switzerland and enjoy the Alps. The Lucerne area is gorgeous and a must-see area if you go to Switzerland. Watch your speed in Switzerland though haha, the Swiss are very strict!

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

As for driving on the Autobahn, just make sure you keep an eye on all the digital speed signs that are above the highway. If they are blank, it means there is no speed limit. However, those are subject to change throughout the day.

Any metal street sign that has the speed limit posted on it with an angled line through the number means no limit as well.

Watch out also for cameras that judge distance between cars. You can still get a ticket if you are following too close.

Most speed cameras will have alot of signage letting you know they are coming up, however some are quite sneeky. Cops like to hide temporary speed traps, really little ones on a tripod hidden in bushes and hedges.

Be careful approaching traffic circles going into Munich. I got my ticket for about 200 euro for flying into a temporary 70 km/h zone doing about 130km/h oops. haha

Good luck and have fun.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

GAH! I am so incredibly jelous that you get to go to Europe, I should be there right now

Make sure to check out Munich City Hall at Marien platz! Its badass!!

Since you are looking to check out Stuttgart and if you are driving there is a town between Munich and Stuttgart called ULM. If you want to do some sight seeing they have a really cool cathedral there, supposed to be one of the tallest in the world. Ive been there many times and if they are done their renovations you should be able to go inside and climb the stairs to the top of the tower.

Link to more info

Oh and the cologne cathedral is a must see too!
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

the ring.
    25/euros per lap.
    pay attention to speed limit signs near cities.

some of the other marques have tracks in their backyards.
    ----------------------------------

Originally posted by bart
    clearly you need to take your bmw on the nurburgring
    +1

A bit of a drive from Munich (consider it the motor break in), then hit the ring - well worth it.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Switzerland is awesome (so is Germany, but it seems you have that figured out).

Agreed with above that Lucerne is awesome. So is Bern, and the whole Lake Geneva area as well (Lausanne, Montreux).

If you're looking for some crazy roads there are a ton between central Switzerland (Bern/Zurich) and the Italian part, Ticino.

Have fun!

My Ride
    Family Hauler

That's awesome I just got home from a Eurotrip and spent 5 days in Munich and it was one of my favorite places.

I went on the factory tour with a guy getting a brand new white m3, the robots in the factory are insane.

In munich set a day aside for the factory tour, bmw museum, and bmw welt (world). You can take an m3 out for a drive for only 40 euros!

Also I would ask a local about the locations of and hit up as many local beer halls as possible.

Go to the augustina beer hall (and brewery) for 6 euro liter beers that are amazing and deadly food (try the sampler plate)

If you are cruising around the audi museum is also outside of town, and in stuttgart the mercedes benz and porsche museums are worth a look as well.

I'll think of anything i missed... oh Fussen is a pretty beautiful place if you go to Neuchmanstien (spelling) castle. It was moreso for my girlfriend but I admitted it was an amazing place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast