Quantcast
FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2011 26 - 29 May 2011 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2011 26 - 29 May 2011

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala
    Posts
    1,806
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    ^Buddy was friggin solid haha. That was probably the best race so far this year hands down. Another win for RBR!!!!
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Crusing
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    My Ride
    2015 VW GTI
    Posts
    3,716
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by cycosis
    ^Buddy was friggin solid haha. That was probably the best race so far this year hands down. Another win for RBR!!!!
    It was the best race up until lap 72...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,010
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally posted by DJ Lazy
    It was the best race up until lap 72...


    That tire change rule is kinda silly, the free pit stop ruined the finale. Would've loved to see what happened when Vettel's tires started to drop off.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'll have to disagree with rage2 on his take on the Hamilton attempted overtakes. The onus to make a safe pass rests with the driver doing the passing. If he has to rely on another driver to not turn in on him when the other driver was clearly ahead, then the attempted pass is unsafe.

    Was Hamilton at fault for bumping Massa? Yes. Was he at fault for Massa crashing? Absolutely not. I don't know what Massa was doing out there... he took the wrong line before Hamilton got along side. Was Hamilton at fault for the crash with Maldonado? Yup. Hamilton was lucky that the penalty had no net effect on his finishing position. If Hamilton was ahead or even got along side on both incidents, then it would have been different.

    Having work done on cars (including changing tires) during the red flag was ridiculous... they will rework this rule I am sure to not allow this to happen unless it is a weather related red flag.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,010
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally posted by cloud7
    I'll have to disagree with rage2 on his take on the Hamilton attempted overtakes. The onus to make a safe pass rests with the driver doing the passing. If he has to rely on another driver to not turn in on him when the other driver was clearly ahead, then the attempted pass is unsafe.

    Was Hamilton at fault for bumping Massa? Yes. Was he at fault for Massa crashing? Absolutely not. I don't know what Massa was doing out there... he took the wrong line before Hamilton got along side. Was Hamilton at fault for the crash with Maldonado? Yup. Hamilton was lucky that the penalty had no net effect on his finishing position. If Hamilton was ahead or even got along side on both incidents, then it would have been different.

    Having work done on cars (including changing tires) during the red flag was ridiculous... they will rework this rule I am sure to not allow this to happen unless it is a weather related red flag.
    How much more along side do you have to be? He was beside Maldonado BEFORE the braking zone. It wasn't even a suicidal divebomb, Maldo just moved 3x on the straight (something Hamilton got penalized for before) and on the 3rd move shoved Hamilton off the road.





    Look at where Maldo was aiming. His whole damn car was nearly off the track onto the curbing. You can not close the door like that with someone right alongside you. There'd be no passing otherwise if every driver did that and expected the defending driver to back off.

    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere North of Calgary
    My Ride
    Gas guzzler!
    Posts
    116
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I have to disagree with rage2 on the LH / Massa pass also, more than half of Hamilton's car was over the kerb.

    But I do agree on the Maldonado pass, he saw Hamilton and took him out.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GT TDi
    Posts
    1,413
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    BMW E86 M Coupe
    Posts
    299
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Wow LH.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    403
    Posts
    7,386
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Racial jab at stewards = poor move. Sarcasm or not.
    Red flag ruined the race, though Vettel spraying the guard in the face saved it a bit. It should've been an epic finish.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,863
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by buh_buh
    Racial jab at stewards = poor move.
    That comment doesn't hold much weight coming from a chink.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    403
    Posts
    7,386
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Yeah, but I'm not on TV.
    I make comments like that all day at work. Minus the sarcasm of course.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,010
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally posted by Bladeh
    I have to disagree with rage2 on the LH / Massa pass also, more than half of Hamilton's car was over the kerb.
    Finally got some time to do some screenshots. The reason why Hamilton's car was over the kerb was because Massa forced him there.

    Here's a comparison of the Schumacher vs Hamilton pass (successful) compared to the Hamilton vs Massa pass (which resulted in a penalty). The Schumacher vs Rosberg pass was exactly the same as the former, as the defending driver had enough common sense not to turn in and close the door hard causing a collision, so I won't bothering posting that set of shots.













    You can see that Hamilton was actually closer to Massa on entry than Schumacher was to Hamilton. Look at the fucked up line that Massa takes on the right at the last minute, vs Hamilton giving up the corner on the left at the same spot. Even if Hamilton wasn't there, Massa would've nailed Webber anyways using that line. But since he was there, Hamilton had nowhere to go but onto the curb. Once the cars where interlocked, that was it, they exited that way.

    That's not defending a corner, that's a desperation move to save a position, which backfired on Massa, and unfairly penalized Hamilton.

    Not that the penalty really mattered anyways in the grand scheme of things, but it was definately an unfair penalty.

    In car of both incidents, watch 'em before the FIA takes 'em down:



    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by rage2

    How much more along side do you have to be? He was beside Maldonado BEFORE the braking zone. It wasn't even a suicidal divebomb, Maldo just moved 3x on the straight (something Hamilton got penalized for before) and on the 3rd move shoved Hamilton off the road.





    Look at where Maldo was aiming. His whole damn car was nearly off the track onto the curbing. You can not close the door like that with someone right alongside you. There'd be no passing otherwise if every driver did that and expected the defending driver to back off.

    Rage2 - he has to be side-by-side, his nose must be at least even with the car's nose he is trying to pass. Your screenshots do not show that he was ever even with Maldonado. You cannot just run a nose inside the other car. That space is always going to go disappear. The position of the stewards was probably that because Hamilton wasn't beside Maldonado the corner wasn't his to take and he should have backed off... He was relying on the other driver to yield, which in case maldonado did not have to since it's his corner.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,010
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally posted by cloud7
    Rage2 - he has to be side-by-side, his nose must be at least even with the car's nose he is trying to pass. Your screenshots do not show that he was ever even with Maldonado. You cannot just run a nose inside the other car. That space is always going to go disappear. The position of the stewards was probably that because Hamilton wasn't beside Maldonado the corner wasn't his to take and he should have backed off... He was relying on the other driver to yield, which in case maldonado did not have to since it's his corner.
    Uhh, no. There'd be zero on track passing if that was the case, especially at Monaco. I dunno where this side by side idea came up, but it's never been the case, and there would be zero passing if that was a rule. It's not.

    Even with DRS (an aid to help passing), nobody was getting side by side even with another car into St Devote.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    My Ride
    2015 VW GTI
    Posts
    3,716
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by cloud7


    Rage2 - he has to be side-by-side, his nose must be at least even with the car's nose he is trying to pass. Your screenshots do not show that he was ever even with Maldonado. You cannot just run a nose inside the other car. That space is always going to go disappear. The position of the stewards was probably that because Hamilton wasn't beside Maldonado the corner wasn't his to take and he should have backed off... He was relying on the other driver to yield, which in case maldonado did not have to since it's his corner.
    Maldonado knew what he was doing... If you watch the in cars rage posted, you can see Maldonado make 2-3 moves to try and cover off Hamilton... You are only allowed 1 move. Hamiltons nose was up next to Maldonados front wheel from what I can see... You can't just turn in on someone when they are there.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    Audi A4, Lawn Boy with Honda GCV160
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Rage almost had me convinced (although I still think Massa was moving to pass/avoid running into Vettel and not blocking Hamilton). But then Jackie Stewart seemed to agree with me, so....

    He believes that drivers like Hamilton should not put themselves in situations where they are at risk of either damaging their cars or getting hauled up for punishment by the stewards.

    Speaking about Hamilton's collisions with Massa and Maldonado Stewart told AUTOSPORT: "I think both were questionable - and he was lucky to get off without any front wing damage in the final incident.

    "You make your own luck and you create your own situations, but the key is that you should not put yourself in a position where the other driver can retaliate in a fashion that will be negative to you, or will be seen by the stewards as negative.

    "You also have to listen to the stewards, because there has been a big improvement in having a driver [on the stewards' panel]. Allan McNish is a very experienced driver so if that is their opinion you have got to go with it."
    Jackie Stewart's Autosport interview

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere North of Calgary
    My Ride
    Gas guzzler!
    Posts
    116
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I've changed my mind about the LH / Massa move, from the overhead shots Lewis got screwed with. (puts back on the Lewis/McLaren cap)

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,863
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Jackie's opinion is political, nothing more. If you don't put yourself in risky positions then you're never going to pass anyone.

    Can you imagine if Kobayashi never took those same chances in Brazil 2009? It would've been a largely boring race and he probably wouldn't have a driver's seat right now.

    Sometimes shit happens. Sometimes little mistakes are made and somebody gets unfairly taken out. That's racing. I'd rather have my favourite car taken out by a mistake a handful of times over the year than watch a godamn procession every weekend for 10 months.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,010
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Martin Brundell changed his opinion on the Hamilton penalties post race as well. Undeserved for Maldo, undecided for Massa because di Resta already got penalized for the same thing.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/13606369.stm
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  20. #40
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    Audi A4, Lawn Boy with Honda GCV160
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Jackie's opinion is political, nothing more. If you don't put yourself in risky positions then you're never going to pass anyone.

    Can you imagine if Kobayashi never took those same chances in Brazil 2009? It would've been a largely boring race and he probably wouldn't have a driver's seat right now.

    Sometimes shit happens. Sometimes little mistakes are made and somebody gets unfairly taken out. That's racing. I'd rather have my favourite car taken out by a mistake a handful of times over the year than watch a godamn procession every weekend for 10 months.
    My point! LH had a good race, given Perez disrupting Q3 and everything that happened during the race. He didn't need to complain about it.

    I started off trying to make a joke by comparing him to MSC, who surprisingly hasn't run into anybody lately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 06-27-2011, 07:04 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 05-12-2011, 06:01 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Latest Threads: 05-01-2011, 11:46 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Latest Threads: 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
  5. Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco 2010

    By urban.one in forum Formula 1
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 05-18-2010, 10:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •