Quantcast
Calgarian Charged with Criminal Harassment for Placing Fake Online Ads - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calgarian Charged with Criminal Harassment for Placing Fake Online Ads

Default Calgarian Charged with Criminal Harassment for Placing Fake Online Ads

I thought this was interesting since placing fake online ads seems a common way of getting revenge or playing a prank on someone. I haven't heard of anyone being charged before for it, locally anyway. I guess it probably depends how far you take it.

Malicious Calgary neighbour admits web harassment spree

By Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald May 29, 2011 8:43 AM Comments (2)

Annoyed at his neighbours calling city bylaw enforcement about him and another neighbour, Michael Kenzie MacLeod embarked on a nine-month spree of ruthlessly harassing them through the Internet.

MacLeod, 35, who said he was formerly friends with Robert and Kathy Smith, set up e-mail accounts in their name that resulted in fictitious ads being placed on a local Internet website to sell merchandise.

As a result of personal ads, which contained her name and address, Kathy Smith received hundreds of phone calls from people wishing to buy items and obscene calls and visits to their door from men who believed they had corresponded with her about having sexual encounters.

MacLeod pleaded guilty Thursday to criminal harassment.

Crown prosecutor Nadine Nesbitt, who argued for a conditional jail sentence of 18 months with house arrest, said in reading an agreed statement of facts in court Thursday that MacLeod posed in the e-mails as being Kathy Smith.

Smith said in her victim impact statement that MacLeod’s actions were “relentless psychological torture” that caused her family to fear for her life.

“I could have been killed by a stranger sent to our door,” she said, choking back tears.

“Due to the proximity of the offender, I was deprived of peace in my own home. My family and I were selected targets.

“I felt like I was imprisoned in my own home. I was face to face with an unidentified man . . . today, I saw my attacker for the first time and, even though it’s been over for a year, I still live in fear.”

Nesbitt said the offender’s actions were often very disturbing in nature.

“On Sept. 6, 2008, Kathy Smith received a phone call from an unknown male that was very sexually graphic,” she told provincial court Judge Anne Brown.

“The male told Kathy Smith in very vulgar terms what he would like to do with her sexually. The male called (her) several times and told her he was responding to her personal ad on usedcalgary.com and he was the person still communicating with her using her e-mail address.”

That man was eventually traced through a pay phone and video surveillance and, although not charged by police, was fired from his job.

Also, Kathy Smith received an “e-mail bomb” from MacLeod, which included 250 similar e-mails over a couple of hours on Jan. 17, 2009, virtually crippling her system.

It purported to be from the Canadian Mental Health Association and was entitled, “CMHA are watching you.”

The offender also used another neighbour’s unsecured wireless router to send many of the e-mails, resulting in police tracing them to the neighbours’ home, seizing their computers and taking them in for questioning.

MacLeod also posted many of the fictitious ads using his laptop computer while visiting China and Orlando, Fla.

Nesbitt said part of his sentence should include a condition that he take counselling for anger management.

Defence lawyer Jim Lutz sought a similar conditional sentence, albeit 12 months long.

He noted his client believed he just set up the calls or meetings through the ads and did not have control over what happened afterward.

That prompted Brown to quip, “It’s a bit like loading a weapon and giving it to someone.”

Robert Smith said in his victim impact statement that he and his family have been devastated by the crimes that still affect them because, despite efforts by police to remove any reference to the ads, they still can be called up and have their home address on them.

They have had to change phone numbers and e-mail addresses they have used for 20 years.

“We have been and still are paralyzed from this crime. I wake up at night thinking about these crimes,” Smith said in his statement. “We don’t know who has our phone number or address and will show up at our door.

“For four months in 2008, Kathy was harassed with phone calls, some saying they were coming to our house. The callers also seemed to know when I was leaving. One caller said I just left and said he and a friend were coming to our house later that day.”

MacLeod apologized to the Smiths for his actions before the judge adjourned sentencing.

“I wasn’t fully aware of all the impact it had on you, until I heard your statements today,” he said. “I’m sorry for that.”

Brown will sentence him on June 3.

[email protected]
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...967/story.html

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Wow.. glad he was caught. Should make people think twice before putting up a fake kijiji ad.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I guarantee you can throw a stone and hit 20 people on Beyond who have done something similar lol.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

They used to screen these with newspaper ads. But every once in a while a "buttsechs" ad would be placed as a joke and missed.

You know... Get Rob Anders address and phone number, and then put out an ad for genital lubricant.

With the internet though, noone is really safe. Celebrities have it the worst, they are photochopped and put beside advertisements for all sorts of things. IE: An online article with Arhnold will have a steroid ad strategically placed by a webbot in the advertising space.

The ads are sometimes so close, that its impossible to determine the difference.

I'd pay good money to have anal lubricant or genital wart cream, in every advertisement where Rob Anders is mentioned. And have no doubts, it is definitely possible to do that.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    a couple S/C'd V8's

While he went too far, they dont mention the extent of the actions the victim took to set this guy off, just "called bylaw enforcement on him and a neighbor"

Its like a news story about an assault charge outside a bar, they talk about the actions of the accused but never mention what set them off. In the case of a bar fight, the lipy ones usualy end up pressing charges when they loose the fight.

Not taking the guy's side, but (if he wasnt an a-hole in the first place) neighbors who call bylaw enforcement instead of having an over the fence discussion are asking for something.... maybe not as severe, but we've all read the threads here on beyond.

I dunno.

If you put a guy in jail for calling labelling a neighbor with a certain unfounded "label", then you should probably be putting Rob Anders in jail for labelling other people "terrorists".

Rob Anders!
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Ads purporting to sell inanimate objects is one thing, and perfectly acceptable revenge IMO... but making sex ads, and sexual correspondences is fucking criminal in my mind. She could have easily been attacked and raped as a result of that shit. There's all sorts of sick fucks out there.

What a fucking scumbag.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I don't disagree with the nature of his response to his neighbor who was harassing him equally as much, but the sex stuff is way off.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by CUG
    I don't disagree with the nature of his response to his neighbor who was harassing him equally as much, but the sex stuff is way off.

I'd like to know the extent of harrasment beforehand that prompted this over the top response, to be honest I bet the neighbors and 'victims' were complete douchebags as well.

Maybe just anger management and community service? Neighbors that call bylaw before confronting me about something get on my nerves as well.

My Ride
    G6

Anyone that calls bylaw on their neighbors is a douche. Deal with it like a man and confront your neighbors. While the payback may be over the top, I think the woman victim claiming "relentless psychological torture" is a bit excessive.

Originally posted by btimbit
    Maybe just anger management and community service?
    He's going to get a sentence quite a bit more serious than that. It sounds like both sides agree that a conditional sentence order is the correct sentence, the only disagreement is the length of it - 12 months vs. 18 months.

Conditional sentence orders are jail sentences, but they allow the person to serve it in the community - so, house arrest basically. If the guy screws up and doesn't comply with the terms, he can be sent to real jail to serve out whatever portion of the sentence remains.

The Conditional sentence order likely would have some counselling conditions attached, and possibly community service, but it would also have other conditions attached as well, usually 24 hour house arrest - usually with exceptions to allow the person to work. He would be subject to random checks to make sure he's at home (and they do check), possibly even bracelet monitoring. But the biggest thing about it is the sword hanging over the guy's head - if he screws up even just a little bit, the judge can send him to jail to serve out the rest of the sentence.

yep, and If I find out who called the city on me, I would do something ten times as nasty as this to them...pompus pricks saying I am running a business out of my garage, when I was simply replacing my MR2's motor...

you harras me, I harras you 10 times more..
    94 JDM ST205 WRC#2354(my baby)
    94 JDM SW20 GT(track car)
    91 JDM ST185 RC(DD)
    08 Sea Ray 185 Sport 220-hp MerCruiser® 4.3L MPI , BigAir tower, High5 SS prop. (Toy)

Originally posted by Feruk
    Anyone that calls bylaw on their neighbors is a douche. Deal with it like a man and confront your neighbors. While the payback may be over the top, I think the woman victim claiming "relentless psychological torture" is a bit excessive.
    So let me get this straight, someone posting your information online (such as your address, phone number, picture, etc) and falsely claiming that you wanted to have a sexual encounter, and receiving sexually disturbing phone calls from strangers, and having anonymous people calling you to tell you that their coming to your house with a friend (and you don't know what their going to do), and getting a visit by some individual who thinks their there for a "WILD RIDE"(sex), even though, once again, you never did any of this, is not in anyway a relentless psychological torture? you think the fear of strangers coming to your house is not excessive in terms of psychologically torture? (even thou you don't know what kind of ad your neighbour posted)

Did I get that right?
    Last edited by Ergo-Sun-Tzu; 05-30-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    Ultimate excellence lies
    Not in winning
    Every Battle
    But in defeating the enemy
    Without ever fighting.
    The highest form of warfare
    Is to attack
    Strategy itself.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

So by your logic all of Beyond should be indicted for the threads where we trainwreck someone for screwing a member over?

Since the people in these situations would probably be homeowners, wouldn't you think they would be mature enough to walk over and talk to the person they have issue with face to face? I had my neighbor come over and ask that I tone it down a bit with doing all the work I was doing in my driveway. I found a spot with a garage that I could work at instead. If he had simply called bylaw and complained to them, I would probably keep working in my driveway. Being up front and courteous with neighbors goes a long way.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by FraserB
    So by your logic all of Beyond should be indicted for the threads where we trainwreck someone for screwing a member over?

Since the people in these situations would probably be homeowners, wouldn't you think they would be mature enough to walk over and talk to the person they have issue with face to face? I had my neighbor come over and ask that I tone it down a bit with doing all the work I was doing in my driveway. I found a spot with a garage that I could work at instead. If he had simply called bylaw and complained to them, I would probably keep working in my driveway. Being up front and courteous with neighbors goes a long way.
    I agree with you that the neighbour should talk face to face. But when you go and create a false ad saying you wanted to have a sexual encounter and you get complete strangers coming to your house don't you think thats a bit excessive?
    Ultimate excellence lies
    Not in winning
    Every Battle
    But in defeating the enemy
    Without ever fighting.
    The highest form of warfare
    Is to attack
    Strategy itself.

My Ride
    Honda

LOL

It's hilarious how many of you losers are defending this guy Typical beyond ...

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

^I'm not saying his response was the right one, I'd just like to know what caused the response, and for now think it's safe to assume the neighbors brought it onto themselves. Not the sex stuff necessarily, but I consider what they did harrasment as well, because I'm willing to bet they called bylaw over something small and silly. Like grass being too long.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by btimbit
    ^I'm not saying his response was the right one, I'd just like to know what caused the response, and for now think it's safe to assume the neighbors brought it onto themselves.
    Normal Kijiji ads, yeah, you're probably right.

Sexual kijiji ads, that could attract the lowest, scumiest, perverts and rapists to their door. NOT FUCKING COOL.

edit: Nice ninja edit, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast