Quantcast
Germany to close all nuclear power plants by 2022 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Germany to close all nuclear power plants by 2022

Default Germany to close all nuclear power plants by 2022

Environmentalists love burning fossil fuels I guess.

Watch this get overturned when they realize renewable energy isn't going to be ready by that time.

Germany's coalition government has announced a reversal of policy that will see all the country's nuclear power plants phased out by 2022.

The decision makes Germany the biggest industrial power to announce plans to give up nuclear energy.

Environment Minister Norbert Rottgen made the announcement following late-night talks.

Chancellor Angela Merkel set up a panel to review nuclear power following the crisis at Fukushima in Japan.

There have been mass anti-nuclear protests across Germany in the wake of March's Fukushima crisis, triggered by an earthquake and tsunami.

'Sustainable energy'

Mr Rottgen said the seven oldest reactors - which were taken offline for a safety review immediately after the Japanese crisis - would never be used again. An eighth plant - the Kruemmel facility in northern Germany, which was already offline and has been plagued by technical problems, would also be shut down for good.

Six others would go offline by 2021 at the latest and the three newest by 2022, he said.

Mr Rottgen said: "It's definite. The latest end for the last three nuclear power plants is 2022. There will be no clause for revision."

Mr Rottgen said a tax on spent fuel rods, expected to raise 2.3bn euros (1.9bn) a year from this year, would remain despite the shutdown.

Mrs Merkel's centre-right Christian Democrats met their junior partners on Sunday after the ethics panel had delivered its conclusions.

Before the meeting she said: "I think we're on a good path but very, very many questions have to be considered.

"If you want to exit something, you also have to prove how the change will work and how we can enter into a durable and sustainable energy provision."

The previous German government - a coalition of the centre-left Social Democrats (SPD) and the Greens - decided to shut down Germany's nuclear power stations by 2021.

However, last September Chancellor Angela Merkel's coalition scrapped those plans - announcing it would extend the life of the country's nuclear reactors by an average of 12 years.

Ministers said they needed to keep nuclear energy as a "bridging technology" to a greener future.

The decision to extend was unpopular in Germany even before the radioactive leaks at the Fukushima plant.

But following Fukushima, Mrs Merkel promptly scrapped her extension plan, and announced a review.

Greens boosted

Germany's nuclear industry has argued that an early shutdown would be hugely damaging to the country's industrial base.

Before March's moratorium on the older power plants, Germany relied on nuclear power for 23% of its energy.

The anti-nuclear drive boosted Germany's Green party, which took control of the Christian Democrat stronghold of Baden-Wuerttemberg, in late March.

Shaun Burnie, nuclear adviser for environmental campaign group Greenpeace International, told the BBC World Service that Germany had already invested heavily in renewable energy.

"The various studies from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change show that renewables could deliver, basically, global electricity by 2050," he said.

"Germany is going to be ahead of the game on that and it is going to make a lot of money, so the message to Germany's industrial competitors is that you can base your energy policy not on nuclear, not on coal, but on renewables."

Shares in German nuclear utilities RWE and E.On fell on the news, though it had been widely expected.

But it was good news for manufacturers of renewable energy infrustructure.

German solar manufacturer, Solarworld, was up 7.6% whilst Danish wind turbine maker Vestas gained more than 3%.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13592208

At least they've got some other sources going, but this is a big mistake IMO.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I wonder what Calgary would look like if renewables actually provided global energy by 2050

wow.
    Last edited by chkolny541; 05-30-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Thorium Reactors are the next clean energy, I think the world is just letting India do all the leg work and testing.

From my understanding, and its highly debatable; but uranium reactors were originally developed and pushed to productions due to the military advantages of depleted uranium, and other nuclear based weapons.

Its a good responsible call to shut them down I would say. Well so long as they replace it with something greener...

Free lunch is over. Cheap energy is gone. Deflation with expensive energy means kids are going to have it rough.

Natural gas and coal generation? If natural gas starts climbing this year I'd say thats what they will be doing.

I think its a smart move. Uranium nuclear was definitely more geared toward nuclear weaponry creation. Lower energy nuclear is an option.

Germans saw how advanced and technically capable the Japanese are - and if they can have a meltdown in three reactors, it can definitely happen in Germany.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

^^i rushed back over to red your post after i saw you were the last to reply, not very intersting zen ops.

btw is that you in your video in your sig? all you uploads are pretty awesome haha
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by bspot
    I wonder what Calgary would look like if renewables actually provided global energy by 2050
    Lots of wind and sunshine here bro. No worries.

My Ride
    NC1

Crazy. Isn't France 80% nuclear? Everything seems to be OK there? ZenOps, update me on this situation ASAP! lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Lots of wind and sunshine here bro. No worries.
    So what do you do after a week of cloudy calm days?

The problem has never been generating power with wind or sunlight... the problem is being able to store it for days when you might need it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by bspot

Originally posted by sputnik

The problem has never been generating power with wind or sunlight... the problem is being able to store it for days when you might need it.
    Global grid. It's always sunny somewhere on earth.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Two problems.

- The cost of high speed transmission lines capable of carrying that much power is VERY expensive. Manitoba is building one right now just to get from northern Manitoba to the US border and it has a $3 billion price tag. Now factor in a grid that would need to go around the world and have capacities to power entire countries and you begin to see the issue.

- That would mean that the majority of power installations would need to be capable of generating enough power for a TON of people to cover those temporarily without power. What happens when Japan is cloudy for a week or two? Whose solar array will cover the 60-70 GWh required to power the country while still providing power to the local region it services?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Xtrema
    How are you going to transfer that energy? Unobtanium cables under the sea?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by codetrap

How are you going to transfer that energy? Unobtanium cables under the sea?
    Monster Cable?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by mucat

Monster Cable?
    LOL. Now that was funny!

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by sputnik

Fossil Fuel is bad Mkay?
    Nuclear is bad Mkay?
    Love will keep us all warm.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by mucat

Monster Cable?
    OMG YUO IJIOT WHY WOULD YOU SPEND 20x that MUCHZ

My Ride
    You Crazy

Solar is cool. Can mix it up with thermal solar and store it in vacuum insulated 'boilers'.

And even when cloudy, you still get output, just not near as much.

My Ride
    G6

Sounds like Germany's politicians are just trollin'. It's actually great to promise something you'll NEVER have to worry about delivering on as it's so far outside your elected term. Wait till they realize powering Germany without coal or nuclear is impossible and a new report will suddenly appear showing how "safe" the new reactors are and reverse this decision on the "new evidence."

This is politics, not policy.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

kneejerk reaction...lame. Once they get rolling blackouts...everyone will be on board to get nuclear back on...so stupid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast