Quantcast
CUPW Letter carrier strike - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: CUPW Letter carrier strike

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by lint
    ^^ for your sake, let's hope history doesn't repeat itself. Back in 05' the TWU did the same thing. They didn't present a final offer to the union members to vote, used a previous strike mandate, were locked out, lost support of union members, lost support of the public with their antics, and came out settling for a worse offer than the one that was tabled before the strike happened.

Sordid details and long reading here:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/95099/tel...ees-on-strike/
    During the strike, the TWU threatened to sue us if we didn't remove that thread!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I wonder if I could take some vacation, and pick up some extra cash as a scab?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    Since I've never been in a situation like this, what penalties are usually involed in crossing the lines to scab? Like I posted earlier, my dad is a letter carrier in the exact same situation as Zman (pretty sure he voted no as well), and he's really worried about this strike, as he not only wants to keep working (he *loves* his job), but he's worried about being laid off (I'm not sure how that works). I don't ever see my dad crossing the picket line however.
    Not sure about layoffs. Only ones' I've heard about are, as I said earlier, the RSMC's, who do the super-mailboxes, and the inside HR workers. Other then that, I think for the time being, our jobs are safe.

Crossing the picket line is another factor entirely. I'm not willing to do that, yet, but we'll see. I just don't want to damage relationships I have with other workers who are on the line, and I don't want to give up my union backing either. It's a very tough line to cross. I'll see how things go, and make up my mind later on.

My Ride

^^ for your sake, let's hope history doesn't repeat itself. Back in 05' the TWU did the same thing. They didn't present a final offer to the union members to vote, used a previous strike mandate, were locked out, lost support of union members, lost support of the public with their antics, and came out settling for a worse offer than the one that was tabled before the strike happened.

That's really what I'm more worried about at this point. I really can't see the majority Harper gov't letting the strike drag on too long. I can see them legislating us back to work, which I would be fine with, and having a mediator step in. But in that situation, the company could re-insert some of the original demands, instead of just giving us the last offer they made. We could end up screwed by our own union at this point. I'm really hoping for an 11th hour settlement, but I'm not really optimistic for it. The two sides have been arguing the two major sticking points for months now, and neither side has moved at all. I don't see cooler heads prevailing at this point.

Originally posted by rage2
    During the strike, the TWU threatened to sue us if we didn't remove that thread!
    they threatened to sue everyone! The best was the idiot who started working for Telus 2 weeks before the strike happened, so he was still on probation, but the biggest fucking loudmouth picketer fighting for solidarity with his brothers. He jumped on the hood of a car that was trying to enter the facility and screamed that he was going to sue. Turned out to be an unmarked police car with a constable coming to drop off a subpoena. Hilarity ensued.
    heloc that shit

My Ride

Just got the latest information from the CUPW website. Looks like it's not going to be a full-on, everyone walks strike at this point. It's going to be rolling strikes, in various cities, TBD as time passes. Starts in Winnipeg tonight, for 24-hours, then moves to the next location. Not really sure how this is going to work, but it seems like I will be working on Friday, at least (Yay!) I will continue to keep everyone updated.

Info here.
    Last edited by ZMan2k2; 06-02-2011 at 09:39 AM.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

they threatened to sue everyone! The best was the idiot who started working for Telus 2 weeks before the strike happened, so he was still on probation, but the biggest fucking loudmouth picketer fighting for solidarity with his brothers. He jumped on the hood of a car that was trying to enter the facility and screamed that he was going to sue. Turned out to be an unmarked police car with a constable coming to drop off a subpoena. Hilarity ensued.
    Hahahaha

Good ol' TWU

This crap wouldn't have happened in the IBEW days...

Then again, I had the wrong friends. I should've scabbed and then I wouldn't have credit card debt or a mortgage at this point.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

so... what will happen to packages shipped from the states with usps?

It was a delicious time. I recall all of the never-done-well's in the Telus union coming out of the woodwork for their day of glory. A strong culture of assholism appeared to dominate, and anyone suggesting any kind of restraint was accused of being traitor of some kind.

Thus, enter my aforementioned "friend", who abused the situation by taking it a step further by targeting the most militant and accusing them of not being militant enough.

Just one small helping hand to hasten the inevitable implosion.

I imagine a lot of the union people looking back are quite ashamed of their behavior - As they should be.

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
    Just got the latest information from the CUPW website. Looks like it's not going to be a full-on, everyone walks strike at this point. It's going to be rolling strikes, in various cities, TBD as time passes. Starts in Winnipeg tonight, for 24-hours, then moves to the next location. Not really sure how this is going to work, but it seems like I will be working on Friday, at least (Yay!) I will continue to keep everyone updated.

Info here.
    Not so bad. Sounds like those waiting for outstanding packages will get them, and can then make sure future shipments go by courier.

In the meantime, a junk-mail-holiday.
    Last edited by LollerBrader; 06-02-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Haha... I just read some of the thread. "Tyler883" sounds like a lot of the pro-union morons at the time: If you didn't subscribe to their madness, you were obviously a scab or a Telus spy.

The union, and it's supporters, deserved its ultimate meltdown.

Originally posted by ercchry
    so... what will happen to packages shipped from the states with usps?
    This. Have some packages coming in

My Ride
    95 GSR

Hey Zman do you work at the plant, depots or carrier?
    Originally posted by Neil4Speed

No your wrong. Checking out tits/ass is like looking at the sun. You can't stare at it long, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.

My Ride
    G35

Forgive me if I skipped it, didn't read the whole thread.

What's the best way to receive yours bills now, is epost and option or something else ?

My Ride
    95 GSR

I'd go for epost.
    Originally posted by Neil4Speed

No your wrong. Checking out tits/ass is like looking at the sun. You can't stare at it long, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by LollerBrader

In the meantime, a junk-mail-holiday.
    Lol, I guess this means the city can skip coming by my house for recycling pickup now.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by GenerationX

This. Have some packages coming in
    Wow dude. Read the thread.

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
    Info here.
    HA with a bit of propaganda thrown in for good measure.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

In for another 2005 TWU strike style thread.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Where is the government threatening back to work legislation like they did when Air Canada Jazz was about to strike? I would say the mail service is just as much of an 'essential service' as an airline, if not more. Pretty disappointing in my opinion.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast