Quantcast
Is it me or is Calgary turning into a shit hole? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is Calgary turning into a shit hole?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by dawerks
    but St. A is looking gorgeous as ever.
    I nearly came in my pants driving through St. A, I felt I was in BC or Oregon! Everything was green, purty, and clean.

Someday, I will move where I can go road racing 365 days a year...

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Originally posted by oupzwrongthread
    I like the dandelions. They are purdy.
    I agree.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

The dandelions are worse over the last couple years because the city is using less herbicide as part of some chemical reduction strategy.
    They've also admitted defeat, and have NO plans on getting rid of them.

After decades of digging up, poisoning, burning and cursing the dandelion, Canada is slowly giving up its struggle against the ubiquitous weeds.

The latest sign the much-maligned yellow flower is regaining respect: Calgarians can now let their front-yard dandelions flourish without fear of getting ticketed.

As long as the flowers are shorter than 15 cms, Calgarians will escape “enforcement action,” a change made in light of Alberta’s recent removal of dandelions from its official weed hit-list.

“Dandelions are just not considered serious enough to have a legislative focus,” says Simon Wilkins, Calgary’s pest-management co-ordinator.

Source

Now all we need is for them to legalize 80's Camaro's up on blocks, and banged up washing machines on the front lawn to match.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Originally posted by ddduke

You're actually blaming big trucks for the roads being shitty? That's one I've never heard before. I guess half assed construction and drastic weather change has nothing to do with it. Maybe they should ban semis from driving on deerfoot so the roads stay better.

Actually, I think I'm going to sell all our work trucks and start buying everyone rx7's to haul equipment/materials so the roads stay better for you.
    where did i say big semis?
    i said lifted trucks that have been lifted for no point and then fat ass tires thrown on there.
    i understand why we need semi trucks and big trucks but the people that lift their trucks and put these giant tires on for no reason but looks.

My Ride
    SR20 240sx / 2002 Jeep

^^

if anything a wider tire has less impact on the surface of a road due to weight distribution being spread out..... however, this is still completely irrelevant.

potholes have very little to do with human use... its more the fault in the way they are made right from the get-go and the extreme weather conditions they face in calgary

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

I'm letting the backyard dandelions go wild.

Already made three salads this spring.

/sarcasm.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I nearly came in my pants driving through St. A, I felt I was in BC or Oregon! Everything was green, purty, and clean.

Someday, I will move where I can go road racing 365 days a year...
    Well, don't go telling anyone.. shhh!

Saint A is the city of trees, so they spend alot of cash/time/effort on planting alot of trees. There's trees in the medians, on both sides of the road etc etc.

There's also some pretty sick windy roads up here, with elevation changes etc. Can't tell you where they are but they are close.

And NO city cops!! RCMP are usually too busy to bother with traffic.

My Ride
    Honda

Calgary = last couple years , but everywhere else is no better...

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Loads and tires do have an impact on the roads especially in the spring, that's the point of the axle weight restrictions and road bans that typically are mar. Until June.. but you can't stop construction, so that also plays into our shitty roads. As for mosquitos, imagine how bad they'd be under ndp rule lol

My Ride
    Hondas

park are going to be full of dandelions and tall grass because we just had a goddamn monsoon. cant exactly mow in the rain, and when the rain does stop, every park can't magically get mowed the next day.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by lellowrx7

where did i say big semis?
    i said lifted trucks that have been lifted for no point and then fat ass tires thrown on there.
    i understand why we need semi trucks and big trucks but the people that lift their trucks and put these giant tires on for no reason but looks.
    You didn't say semis, I'm just saying that if you have a problem with big lifted trucks then you must really hate semis.

What I was getting at is that you must be an idiot to think that a lifted truck may be the cause of shitty Calgary roads. Like someone already said, wider tires will distribute weight more evenly. Also, the weight difference can't be that much between a stock and lifted truck, at most a couple hundred lbs, which would make no difference. If you had 3 fat chicks in your car it would weigh more then a lift kit+tires.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

No. THIS is a shithole:

You're living in fucking paradise if you're bitching about dandelions. Get real.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Kloubek

You're living in fucking paradise if you're bitching about dandelions. Get real.
    HAHAHAHA, this just made my entire week. Couldn't agree with you more.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

You'll pay $16 for a salad made partly of dandelions in any solid eating establishment, so start collecting and wholesale the stuff.

Calgary is Saskatchewan, controlled, financed and through and through green with cash and Rider fans. Grab a Pilsner and chill.

Mosquitos would be Canada's national insect, a little blood between friends never killed anyone. Sharing is caring.

I hear all you are saying, get everyone on winter tires and AWD and fuck laying down salt, sand and stones for the winter. We can outdrive the Swedes and Finlanders in WRC 2020.

*on the upside I saw a silver Tesla on the weekend, he drove by an outdoor patio bar and he might as well have been in a K-Car for no one noticed him at all. No sound = did not see it.
    Last edited by Muji; 05-31-2011 at 08:02 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

The mosquitoes I imagine are going to be pretty bad. Better stalk up on some Off! spray

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The road conditions are in the present condition because of primarily freeze-thaw. It's not coincidence that road conditions are amazing in comparison in Houston vs. here.

You know what I've noticed? Everyone in Calgary feels the need to bitch about something. Look around where you are. I mean, REALLY look. Millions of people would give up everything they have for the chance to switch spots with you.

If you don't like it, leave. It really is that easy. Oh, you don't want to leave? Why? Good job, clean city, good healthcare, live close to the mountains, nice house, nice car, no major natural disasters, no serious poisonous snakes and spiders? Well...fuck!

If dirty roads, dandelions and mosquitoes are your biggest worries, go cry to the folks in Beverly Hills because they'll be the only people who have pity on you.
    Last edited by msommers; 05-31-2011 at 12:17 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '16 Tacoma TRD Sport

Anyone and everyone who bitches about Calgary seems to be ungrateful morons. Please enlighten me as to what is keeping you here? It must be quite a bit, otherwise why the hell are you staying?

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

We could be a world class city if we had some real leadership. Unfortunately we haven't had it and won't have it until we elect some legitimate talent.
    Last edited by CUG; 05-31-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

if the city isn't spraying any herbicides or pesticides then i'm putting the leash on the iguana taking him to a field and letting him eat half of it.

but it all truths. we've only had 2 fuckin weeks of nice weather. and i see street cleaners and hose boys everywhere. get over it!
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast