Quantcast
How much should we be spending on rotors? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much should we be spending on rotors?

Default How much should we be spending on rotors?

First time replacing my rotors so no idea how much we should be spending on a good set. Nothing high end, but at least OEM quality or better. Whats a good brand? Is Napa Brand ok? Theyre $39 a piece.

Parts source also has certified ones for $25 each.

Should I get normal rotors or drilled? Drilled I was quoted $92 each. Are these $90 rotors worth the money? I was told that the higher model rotors have a harder metal so they dont wear out as fast? so obviously longer life span and less often replacing them. But how much longer? If the $90 rotors will have say double or triple the life span of normal ones, ill pay the extra money just to save the hassle of buying them as much.

Cause i think standard OEM rotors generally last 2 brake pad changes right?
    Last edited by maxwinedog; 05-30-2011 at 06:14 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The $92 drilled rotors will not last twice as long. What do you drive and how do you drive it?

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    The $92 drilled rotors will not last twice as long. What do you drive and how do you drive it?
    An 01 Acura RSX. I drive it gently, every now and then semi hard.

Have you heard of certified brand rotors? Partsource sells them. Says theyre cdn tire brand and meet OEM standards.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I haven't heard of certified, but mainly because I have bought online always in the past. I heard the less nickel content the rotors have, the greater chance you will get warp and runout on them leading to brake pulsation, I don't know if that is true or not.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    I haven't heard of certified, but mainly because I have bought online always in the past. I heard the less nickel content the rotors have, the greater chance you will get warp and runout on them leading to brake pulsation, I don't know if that is true or not.
    Hmm interesting, ya too bad the packages dont state the amount of nickel in them.

The Brembo rotors are $98 a piece. Heard theyre good but are they worth it?

If anyone else can chime in, hey if the certified ones are at least OEM quality then im probably best off just saving the money and going that route.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Personally if its just a daily driver with no hard driving I think you will be fine with some middle range priced rotors, brakes are cheap anyway usually if you need to replace them.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Cant post websites anymore?! lol

anyways autopartsway treated me good. Free UPS shipping from BC, came within a day or 2.

K thanks twin. Im gonna get the napa Brand ones for $38each. I think those should be good enough for me.

I used Brembo Gold Cadmium plated blanks on all my honda's and have always been really impressed with them. I think when you go with better rotors, you are not necessarily paying for longer life, but better braking, and resistance against fade
    Last edited by boarderfatty; 05-30-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by boarderfatty
    I used Brembo Gold Cadmium plated blanks on all my honda's and have always been really impressed with them. I think when you go with better rotors, you are not necessarily paying for longer life, but better braking, and resistance against fade
    Your paying for better resistance to warpage and runout.

I've warped a pair of the super cheap parts source rotors in a week after installing them. If your a spirited drive stay away. As for the cross drilled rotors their only advantage is marginally better braking in wet driving conditions besides that they are just for show their also very likely to crack and also cannot be machined so once you change pads you pretty much have to junk the rotors.

My Ride
    06 S2000

My oem brakes are brembo, but for the price the stealership wants, it won't ever happen..

I'll be swapping mine out with Napa blanks when the times comes. It's fine for DD and autocross, maybe not so much for lapping days.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Like everyone is saying, if your daily driving your vehicle then you might be able to get away with traditional parts shop blanks. That being said, there is a reason why engineers have specified the rotors/compounds used for they brakes on your car.

Jory(LilDrunkenSmurf), i would stay away from that idea, in a simple caliper system i would shrug and say ok but your running brembo 4-pot brake calipers which generates stopping force much greater than a normal smaller caliper which if you use a poorer quality rotor you will end up warping/glazing the material quicker and find your braking efficiecy just wont be right. You have an STi now, not a civic ; )

For the OPP (RSX Driver), if your traditionally driving around the city without heavy braking and install the rotors correctly with proper break in, then you should be able to avoid most warpage/glazing etc. Just be careful if you try and slow down from 190- 90 in a moments time, it may be the last time those rotors will work properly (assuming your on a track..........)
    1994 EG6 -1998 DC2 - 1993 S13 - 1993 S13 -1994 S14 - 2001 BMW E46 - 2006 BMW E90

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    My oem brakes are brembo, but for the price the stealership wants, it won't ever happen..

I'll be swapping mine out with Napa blanks when the times comes. It's fine for DD and autocross, maybe not so much for lapping days.
    Have you looked at tirerack or other places on line? my gold cadmium plated brembo crossdrilled rotors for my STI were like $80 or $90 a piece which is pretty cheap imo
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    1990 240sx

Originally posted by 94boosted

Your paying for better resistance to warpage and runout.

I've warped a pair of the super cheap parts source rotors in a week after installing them. If your a spirited drive stay away. As for the cross drilled rotors their only advantage is marginally better braking in wet driving conditions besides that they are just for show their also very likely to crack and also cannot be machined so once you change pads you pretty much have to junk the rotors.
    you can machine drilled rotors, you just take off a thou on each side per cut. Instead of 2-3thou per side.

under hard braking, the pads will start to give off gas. This gas will build up inbetween the pad and the rotor and give you shitty braking. a drilled rotor will vent this gas into the cooling vents in the center of the rotor giving you better braking.

Ive had many auto value rotors that are warped out of the box. Ive never had any problems with napa ones.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Jusmaksuryogegobrakpadcheaonereallyarbaad

If you want good rotors you won't get raped for get either Wagner or Raybestos. Quality rotors at fairly good prices. Brembo is also good but can be harder to find and a bit more expensive. Cheap rotors are just that, cheap. Lower quality metals and won 't last as long and prone to warping.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by crapstixs

you can machine drilled rotors, you just take off a thou on each side per cut. Instead of 2-3thou per side.

under hard braking, the pads will start to give off gas. This gas will build up inbetween the pad and the rotor and give you shitty braking. a drilled rotor will vent this gas into the cooling vents in the center of the rotor giving you better braking.

I didn't think you could machine them, good to know.

As for the whole thing about cross drilled rotors offering better braking in the dry that seems to be a myth check out the link below. I once found a great technical article written by Wilwood about the myths of cross drilled rotors I'll try to find that.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/4289...-good-reading/

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by 94_S14
    Jory(LilDrunkenSmurf), i would stay away from that idea, in a simple caliper system i would shrug and say ok but your running brembo 4-pot brake calipers which generates stopping force much greater than a normal smaller caliper which if you use a poorer quality rotor you will end up warping/glazing the material quicker and find your braking efficiecy just wont be right. You have an STi now, not a civic ; )

Originally posted by boarderfatty

Have you looked at tirerack or other places on line? my gold cadmium plated brembo crossdrilled rotors for my STI were like $80 or $90 a piece which is pretty cheap imo
    Eh? I want to avoid drilled rotors.. Blanks for me! But as for the Napa blanks, I've decided this after talking to a few track/autox guys on the WSC forum. They've all recommended it, so I don't foresee any issues.

If I had the cash, I would pick up some DBA 4000 rotors on Dales Braking and Alignment out of BC..

PS: 94_S14.. Who are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

we should all get together and complain to HR Toyota.. Make Beyond a site that companies fear to get bad rep on.

And on the other hand promote the ones that we have a great experience at.

there is power in numbers

My Ride
    1998 5VZ-FE

Originally posted by maxwinedog

An 01 Acura RSX.
    No such thing as an 01 RSX.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast