Quantcast
Need your advice: Rebuild transmission or buy another? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Need your advice: Rebuild transmission or buy another?

Default Need your advice: Rebuild transmission or buy another?

K, so this is continued from my last thread but i wanted to start another because its a different topic on its own. My sister bought a civic coupe over the weekend, it has a wonky tranny (she was aware of it). She got the car for dirt cheap at a very good price and its an 2001. Even with the cost of a new tranny or rebuild she is still getting away with a good deal, even my mechanic said its a steal. She got it checked out and everything else aside from the tranny is in perfect shape and clean.

Anyways, she wants to know which route is the best to take.

1) Buy this used 04 auto tranny that a local dismantler has with only 34,000km for $750 and take it to A-apollo and have them replace the seals (cause its been sitting out for a few years) and have them crack it open, take it apart and inspect the insides. Replace any parts if needed and put back together. Quote for this by the shop is $550 + cost of parts if needed so $550.

TOTAL COST = $1700 including install, with 3 months warranty.

2) Or she can just buy the tranny, skip having it inspected, just replace the seals and its

TOTAL COST = $1150 including install with 3 month warranty.

3) Take her current auto tranny thats in the car now with 140,000km) and have it rebuilt. A-Apollo was recommended by a friend and they quoted her $1800-2000 to rebuild and they replace everything inside. Spoke with the owner there and he recommended us to just have the current one rebuilt because they will warranty it for 1yr and they replace all the parts inside and will msot likely last longer than buying another one.

TOTAL COST = $1800-2000 including install with 1 yr warranty.

Not sure if the owner is just trying to up sell us on getting a rebuild or if hes actually giving truthful advice that rebuild the current one is the better route to go.

We called another tranny shop for a second opinion and they said to just replace the seals and just install it and not bother opening it to inspect the insides. He said its not worth paying the money.

Shes looking to decide asap so let us know thx
    Last edited by maxwinedog; 06-15-2011 at 11:11 AM.

My Ride
    Blue boy

carcomplaints has 700 reports on the 4speed AND there was almost a recall on those trannies. Why chance buying a used one?

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    carcomplaints has 700 reports on the 4speed AND there was almost a recall on those trannies. Why chance buying a used one?
    the used one we found is an 04 which ive been told is safe and according to other beyonders. the 700 complaints is on the 01, which she has in right now but not for long.

I dont know too much about transmissions, but if it was me I would pick up the used 04 for $750 instead of rebuilding your current one. Is it worth paying $550 to have it opened up, taken apart and inspected? See if other beyonders can tell you. For the peace of mine, probably.

My Ride
    TLX

Originally posted by CourneyRoss
    I dont know too much about transmissions, but if it was me I would pick up the used 04 for $750 instead of rebuilding your current one. Is it worth paying $550 to have it opened up, taken apart and inspected? See if other beyonders can tell you. For the peace of mine, probably.
    How come you talk to yourself so much?

copynpaste = maxwinedog = courneyross

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I would find a good transmission shop, and have them rebuild the original, doesn't take much to fuck up a transmission.

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default transmission

I'd personally go with option 2.

If something is going to go wrong with that transmission it will definitely be within 90 days. To have someone take apart and replace parts in a transmission with 34 000 kms (I don't know how you verify those are the real kms but I would) would be silly imho. That is an average of less than 2 yrs of driving on that transmission by most people and the 04 design is drastically improved (torque convertor issue was solved by then)

Hope that helps,