Quantcast
Queensland/Deer Ridge/Deer Run - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Queensland/Deer Ridge/Deer Run

Default Queensland/Deer Ridge/Deer Run

We're planning on moving back to Calgary later in the year and although our first preference is to go back to the Sandstone/MacEwan area, I have also been looking at moving to the south end of town, specifcally to the Queensland/Deer Ridge/Run area as the real estate offerings are pretty decent.

Any thoughts on this corner of the SE?

My Ride
    Nothing

Deer Run is like the Harlem of the SE :O
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

good proximity to the park and deerfoot. But I'm sure all those roads are busy at rush hour if you are trying to get downtown.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

It's not the greatest area. I'd look a little West in Bonavista or even Parkland if you really want that general area.

Fish creek is awesome. Traffic can suck once you get to major roadways, and transit is basically nonexistent.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by Mibz
    It's not the greatest area. I'd look a little West in Bonavista or even Parkland if you really want that general area.
    +1 also Canyon meadows or Woodlands/Woodbine are nice

I am not opposed to any of the other sections of the south, there were a few listings in this particular pocket of the SE that caught my attention, so I thought I'd check it out.

What would say it is comparable to? Beddington/Huntington Hills?

I only ever ventured down that way once or twice in all the years I lived in Calgary.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Deer run has always been more of the ghetto in the south. Look a little more west towards bonavista/canyon meadows or north in diamond cove (the gated off community just north of deer run on bow bottom.....I might be wrong on the name though)

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

My buddy lives in Queensland, he seems to like it. Its right off deerfoot which is nice and close to fish creek park. Like others have said it is not the greatest community but I haven't heard of any real problems of vandalism or anything.

Originally posted by masoncgy
    I am not opposed to any of the other sections of the south, there were a few listings in this particular pocket of the SE that caught my attention, so I thought I'd check it out.

What would say it is comparable to? Beddington/Huntington Hills?

I only ever ventured down that way once or twice in all the years I lived in Calgary.
    My aunt lives in Deer Run in a really nice house. When I was looking for my house I went for a few in Deer Run. I was really disappointed in how quickly that place went from okay to slum dog millionaire.

I wouldnt compare it to Beddington/Huntington for a few reasons. There are some much nicer areas in B/H then in DR. Also The transit and access routes are much improved up in that area. Personally I think DR is a pretty crummy part of town.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Deer Ridge is on the hill and not Queensland...

Nice but older community.

I've lived in my current house there for over 6 years...5 in my previous one...

Its nice in that you can't go through there to get anywhere.

IE you cannot short cut through the community so all traffic is local...(or lost...LOL)

Public and Catholic schools and of course, Fish Creek park is minutes away....
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Traffic in the communities is really light as you don't go through any of these areas to get anywhere else.

The biggest issue is that the majority of these areas were starter to mid level homes when they were new in the 1970's. There are a lot of original owners that still live there that take good care of their homes but there is also a lot of subsidized housing, rental and low income stuff that degrades the entire neighbourhood. If the budget allows I would really try to stay West of Bow Bottom in either Parkland or Bonavista.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Matt McKay (17) was murdered with a pick axe to the head in Queensland. This sticks in my mind every time I think of Queensland since it was so shocking and garnered a lot of attention on Beyond and other local forums.

There is a great page on the CPS website that maps crime, maybe look there for more information regarding crime rates in Queensland, Deer Run and Deer Ridge. Get the real info not hearsay and anecdotal evidence.

http://crimemap.calgarypolice.ca/con...aimerPage.aspx

PS I lived in Deer Ridge for 3 months and had my car broken into and everything stolen.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Parents live in Deer Run. I think it really depends what part of the community you live in. They have never had any break ins, vandalism or anything in the in 16 years they have lived there.

Queensland on the other hand you hear about something almost weekly.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by M.alex
    Deer Run is like the Harlem of the SE :O
    i think you mean anything north of Peigan , east of Deerfoot and south of Memorial Dr?

as someone who grew up hanging in that tri-suburb area (almost a bit more than half of the ppl i knew in elementary/JH lived in the Deer Run and Deer Ridge area and up to Lake Bonavista),

Queensland was were all the shitty ghetto kids with cavaliers lived - everytime you hung out with Queensland ppl it was like being in Trailer Park Boys... but in houses, some good guys there no doubt - however overall ghetto imo, not forest lawn by any means but sometimes you'd swear you were in the NE with the shit you saw, i.e babies by themselves on the corner Dave Chappelle style.

Deer Run was where i spent the most of my childhood, the shitmix of nice old retirees, regular families and of course badass brats respectively, not really much crime at all comapred to hanging in Queensland, nice ppl/families but still alot of unruly shits biking/driving around. for the most part ok... until after sundown, in the summer.. o_0

Deer Ridge if youre tucked in the thick of it is ok, but if you can see Deer Ridge Dr from your house you were fair game for vandalism imo. Deer Ridge would be a bit more expensive i'd suspect, those larger built in the 70-80s upper middle class kinda houses.

If you think about it, the crappy areas of that corner of the city are all lower valleys - you know where you can smell them burn the methane shit gas at night near The Ranche lol. Deer Ridge, Parkland and Diamond Cove all sit on higher ground somewhat, kinda like looking down on the 'middle' class folks.

i would still rather live in that tri-suburb of the SE than the 'other' SE, y'know the one that's so close to the NE it might as well be part of it.

but theres bad areas pocketed here and there, look at beautiful Lake Bonavista... then like a rotting piece on the apple look at Bonavista Downs, it's all the little shits running around at night in the summer that make up for the bad experiences, i blame the shitty parenting.
    Last edited by n1zm0; 06-27-2011 at 03:36 PM.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by 98brg2d
    Matt McKay (17) was murdered with a pick axe to the head in Queensland. This sticks in my mind every time I think of Queensland since it was so shocking and garnered a lot of attention on Beyond and other local forums.

There is a great page on the CPS website that maps crime, maybe look there for more information regarding crime rates in Queensland, Deer Run and Deer Ridge. Get the real info not hearsay and anecdotal evidence.

http://crimemap.calgarypolice.ca/con...aimerPage.aspx

PS I lived in Deer Ridge for 3 months and had my car broken into and everything stolen.
    If you are going to quote that murder for Queensland then I might as well add what I think of when I think of the Upscale Lake Bonavista area.

Ian Gordon, murdered his common law wife and two young daughters.
    http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...6c73aa2009&p=2

I grew up in Deer Ridge. It was okay, never great or upscale.

The area now has quite a mix of people living there. Definitely not upscale, but definitely not too rough.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Grew up in Deerrun and when my parents first moved us there it was a nice and quiet neighbourhood.

But now it's pretty much a shithole. Drive around on a friday night and all you see is hundreds of kids wandering around drinking. My moms car got jumped on and completely trashed right before we moved out. My friend moved there last year and since then he's gotten robbed 2 times and had a truck stolen.

There's also a half dozen pubs littered all over the area so you have drunken white trash everywhere.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.