Quantcast
Official Canucks 2011-2012 Thread - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: Official Canucks 2011-2012 Thread

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I do agree he looks pretty pedestrian in goal. But I think a lot of it is the fact that he remains calm and doesn't showboat, and he is almost always in position so he doesn't *have* to make the spectacular saves you see from other goalies.
    He reminds me a lot of Kirk Mclean - Mr cool and unflappable in net when the pressure is on. Mac also wasnt known for his flashy style of play.

the reality is the Canucks despite their regular season dominance have a very one dimensional team.

Depth is an issue, Kesler being useless... No goals in 20 games and scoring only 4 goals since feb 11... you cant expect to win.

Losing Sedin crippled their offense and puck possession, which exposed the defense. Luongo did nothing to steal a game.

If they had both sisters and schneider in net from game 1, they would have had a much better series in my opinion.

ps watching Luongo lose is one of the only joys i get being a flames fan... dont get me wrong, i like when the nucks lose but its just so much more enjoyable when its Luongo.
    Last edited by bmeier; 04-23-2012 at 03:25 PM.

I agree that it might be in his head now and he might want out, but I don't think he will want to go to a non-contender. A cusp team perhaps - but not a team like... say... Columbus.

As for the comment that Schneider is average - I beg to differ. I was actually not sold on him initially when everyone on the Canucks forum was thinking he was going to be this god in net. But over the last couple of years I became convinced of what everyone was raving about.

The guy's positioning and focus is better than any goalie I've seen play for the Canucks. He still makes the wrong decisions sometimes and still can't handle the puck very well - but he's a damn good technical goalie, and will only get better in the next couple of years. Keep in mind as well that while the Canucks are a good team overall, their defense actually lets a lot of good shots through much of the time.

With all this said - he is still potentially a risk for any team. Lots of goalies can have a good year or two and then falter. (Or the reverse. Look at Mike Smith or Brian Elliot). I am not going to say there isn't at all a potential he might not continue his elite level of play... but I don't think it is very likely.

I do agree he looks pretty pedestrian in goal. But I think a lot of it is the fact that he remains calm and doesn't showboat, and he is almost always in position so he doesn't *have* to make the spectacular saves you see from other goalies.
    I agree with a lot you said here except I would say he is an average NHL goalie. He is not an elite goalie at the moment but does have the potential. He can hold his own but he is not a game changer which more and more NHL goalies are becoming. The level of skills for goaltending in the NHL is just stupid right now...so many extremely good goalies.

Schneider is at best an average goalie, nothing special for NHL standards at the moment. He has decent positioning and plays his angles quite well but makes a lot of mistakes you won't see the top goalies in the league make. Blame this on inexperience as he doesn't get played as much as he should. Schneider needs to work on 1) puck handleing abilities 2) 1 on 1 abilities; the overtime goal last night was a mental error by Schneider mixed with a good shot...he was in terrible positioning worried about a pass 3) lateral movement (this is lacking compared to many other goalies but is still probably better then Luongo's)

If he can

^ His stats would say that he's anything but an average goaltender. He's up near the top of the pack and he also played a good chunk of games this season to boot.

Schneider is definitely the better of the two... send Luongo packing and keep him around.

No wait, what am I saying? Keep Luuu please!

I notice that Cory Schneider is starting to display a pretty inflated ego, so he'll become public enemy #1 in no time to all the Canuck haters everywhere... lol.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Type_S1

...the overtime goal last night was a mental error by Schneider mixed with a good shot...he was in terrible positioning worried about a pass

that OT goal was completely unpreventable for him. you can't just completely forget the pass. If he focused 100% on the shot, there would be even more reason to support that he is an inexperienced goaltender. I get what you're coming from, but not a very good example to use

My Ride
    NC1

Hard to fault him. He let in 4 goals in 3 games! The question is can he play like that over the course of 60 games or will the pressure get to him? Anyhow, seeing how I hate Vancouver, I'm glad they are out and have much controversy ahead.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My take is that Kassian is the beginning of a new direction for the team, real toughness. Then we can be like the Flyers but with a better goalie (not Lu). I see MG making a play for Nash.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Some interesting thoughts by all - though I don't entirely agree. I do think he is far above average... though perhaps he hasn't proven himself to be an elite goalie quite yet. And yes, he does have to work on his stickhandling and sometimes his decision making. The former may never come - but I'm confident the latter will with experience. Strangely, I don't want to comment on his lateral movement because he rarely is out of position he doesn't have to shoot across the goal too often. I haven't, however, noticed it as a problem but perhaps I haven't looked hard enough.

As for him getting an inflated ego - I'm not sure where that is coming from. I think he has been nothing but class towards his teammates, the media, and even opponents. He never cried about more ice time either - even though he had better stats than Luongo. Nor has he ever asked to be moved (as far as I know) because he wanted to be #1 somewhere else before he paid his dues as backup. He even went on to say that he only won a single game these playoffs - downplaying his performance.

I don't think he could have done much in the overtime goal - though I'm sure the potential for a pass kept him from focusing 100% on the shot. I don't think he was out of position whatsoever... and it *was* a perfect shot.

Once he is a #1 next year it will be sink or swim... and I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think he'll be a freakin lifeguard in a few years.

Originally posted by Canucks3322
    My take is that Kassian is the beginning of a new direction for the team, real toughness. Then we can be like the Flyers but with a better goalie (not Lu). I see MG making a play for Nash.
    Kassian better up his skill game or he won't be playing many games with our big league. He has raw talent but it needs a *lot* of polishing. As for Nash - I highly doubt it. While Nash is indeed the kind of player Gillis would love, I can't see him taking on such a large contract unless there was serious salary being offloaded at the same time. Additionally, I'm not sure Gillis would want to bring in any star players which would supercede the Sedins... especially since Henrik is captain of the team and will probably remain as such.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 04-23-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Originally posted by dandia89

that OT goal was completely unpreventable for him. you can't just completely forget the pass. If he focused 100% on the shot, there would be even more reason to support that he is an inexperienced goaltender. I get what you're coming from, but not a very good example to use
    You can't fault him too much because it was a good shot. He left his short side open way too much on the play. With a defenceman back in overtime you make damn sure you cover the shot and hope the dman covers the pass like everyone is taught when they are 12. A good goalie has the lateral movement to make it across without cheating.

Fact is he was cheating no matter how little it was and he let in a goal that he shouldn't have. He played well for sure but that isn't a goal elite goalies would let in.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

And yes, he does have to work on his stickhandling and sometimes his decision making. The former may never come - but I'm confident the latter will with experience.

I don't think he could have done much in the overtime goal - though I'm sure the potential for a pass kept him from focusing 100% on the shot. I don't think he was out of position whatsoever... and it *was* a perfect shot.
    Stickhandling will come with time and good coaching. Schneider's positioning is equal to a much more experienced goaltender, and his ability to read the play and take away the shot is excellent. That's partly why we don't see him making highlight reel saves with the big stretch pad or glove saves. While it was a perfect shot on the series winning goal, I think a goaltender who is a bit less technical but more 'desperate' could have found a way to make that save. I feel like Schneider has copied the goaltending textbook word for word, but doesn't have enough to take it beyond that to become an amazing starter.

He was out of position for the shot. Plain and simple. Why is his even being discussed? Stoll comes in and is looking shortside the whole way, you can't cheat in the NHL. You almost always certainly lose.

With that I do think he is a good goalie.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

7uongo says he'll waive his no-trade clause if asked

Classy at least I guess, see if anything comes of this, see if Brian Burke comes a knocking

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394097

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Even if Burke had interest, I just don't see Luongo waiving to go play for the Leafs. If he can't handle the pressure of Vancouver, his greasy head would explode in Toronto. At least Vancouver has a good enough team for a realistic shot at the cup.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, Tampa Bay is the best fit for him.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I agree. He just gave the team an "out" to keep Schneider. In return, they should try to get him as close to his wife as possible. Tampa also has players Vancouver could use, whereas I couldn't see much worthwhile coming back from Toronto.

I'd be stoked if there was any way Vancouver could make a package trade that included Hedman.

Luongo's statement may be classy, but may not be completely selfless.

1) It keeps him from being the #2, or sharing half the games with Cory should Vancouver manage to keep both goalies, and
    2) It gets him out of an environment where, like I said earlier, the luster of his being our #1 netminder has worn off and the fans/media are pretty hard on him
    3) He will obviously get moved to a team that really needs a goalie - and he instantly becomes the potential "saviour" of that team.

He certainly didn't have to do this, and he presented it well - but I do think he has his own motives for doing so in addition to doing what is best for the team.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 04-24-2012 at 04:21 PM.

My Ride
    GSR

No way will Hedman be packaged for Luongo. Tampa already has weak D and they're not trading a former 2nd overall pick for him. I hope Luongo is stuck in Vancouver so we can keep watching the Canucks fail.

Tsn suspects he would only be traded for a salary dump. Probably not going to get roster players or prospects back.

Too high a salary, and if you don't have faith in him he kinda loses any value.

My Ride
    is wild

Luongo for Vinny
    Stupid contract for stupid contract...

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I can see him going back to one of the teams in the SW
    Last edited by Aleks; 04-24-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8